Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Luther

Author Topic: Luther
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched the second episode of this show. Anyone else watching it? It's unbelievably good. It's only running six episodes (unless it gets renewed, which I really hope it does). Idris Elba (who was on The Wire, which I've never watched) stars in it, and... I can't even say a lot about the show without giving things away.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
What's the premise?
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

The premise is a cop named John Luther, who has a bit of an anger management issue, and who tends to see justice as the most important thing. He comes back to the force after having a nervous breakdown in the wake of a kidnapping.

It's a psychological drama, big time. I just watched the final episode, and I hope to God it get another season (or series, as they say over there). So, so, so good.

One of the ways in which it differs from most police procedurals is that you know who the guilty party is pretty much from the start. There's no mystery about whodunit, but only about whether and how Luther is going to nail them.

There's another character in the show who is absolutely phenomenal, but I can't say who it is without spoiling one of the episodes.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Idris Elba was outstanding on The Wire.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I never saw it, but my father says it's the best show he's ever seen. That was actually one of the reasons I tried Luther. I'm extremely glad that I did.
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I started watching this today on your recommendation (and because Idris Elba was truly incredible on The Wire). I'm only half way through the first episode and it is excellent so far. Thanks for mentioning it.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
My reactions, in order:

quote:
The premise is a cop named John Luther, who has a bit of an anger management issue, and who tends to see justice as the most important thing. He comes back to the force after having a nervous breakdown in the wake of a kidnapping.

It's a psychological drama, big time. I just watched the final episode, and I hope to God it get another season (or series, as they say over there). So, so, so good.

Meh.

quote:
Idris Elba
I AM SO THERE.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

Watched the finale last night. I'm not too sure how I feel about it. I think I liked it despite having problems with almost all of the characters and lack of resolution. The resolution for some of the characters can be assumed and didn't need to be spelled out but for the characters on screen in the final scene it is left a little more open than I would prefer.

All in all I enjoyed the show quite a bit. I'm going to start watching Ultraviolet next. It's another UK series starring Idris Elba and involving vampire-like beings.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's another UK series starring Idris Elba
Oh? *interested*

quote:
and involving vampire-like beings.
Oh. [Frown]

( [Wink] )

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
quote:
It's another UK series starring Idris Elba
Oh? *interested*

quote:
and involving vampire-like beings.
Oh. [Frown]

( [Wink] )

The vampire thing doesn't really interest me. I've never understood the interest in vampires. Buffy and Angel were cool because of the characters and the dialogue, but every other vampire thing I've seen is way too dark and menacing and humorless. Okay, maybe Blade had some redeeming qualities, but still.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by solo:
Watched the finale last night. I'm not too sure how I feel about it. I think I liked it despite having problems with almost all of the characters and lack of resolution. The resolution for some of the characters can be assumed and didn't need to be spelled out but for the characters on screen in the final scene it is left a little more open than I would prefer.

Well, I'm hoping that they do another season. Actually, Ruth Wilson's character was my favorite thing about the show. She was one of the only things I liked about the remake of The Prisoner, and she absolutely shined in Luthor.
solo
Member # 3148

She was incredible in Luther. She played the role perfectly.

Apparently in Ultraviolet they never refer to the beings as Vampires and so I think it's probably a pretty different take on them. I'll post more after I've watched a bit.

solo
Member # 3148

So I finished watching Ultraviolet last week. It definitely was a different take on vampires. The show actually played much more as a police procedural / crime drama. The acting was top notch but Idris Elba wasn't as major a character as I would have preferred.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Does that have relation to the irredeemably dreadful Ultraviolet film? That had vampires too. And, until I walked out of Last Airbender, was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

No relation, I don't think. I may give it a watch. Did anyone else see the first ep of Identity this week? It's a procedural about identity theft, and was okay. Not great, I didn't think, but worth watching.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Luther is back! I don't think I'd realized how much I missed it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.