FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sensory Issues

Author Topic: Sensory Issues
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone else besides me have these? The week before last I was having crazy food texture issues. I've always had sound issues. The slightest loud noise makes me jump, but so does gum popping, gum smacking,loud chewing and so many others.
It's driving me a bit nuts

Also,how does one politely tell someone to PLEASE for the LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY STOP CHEWING THAT GUM SO LOUDLY BEFORE I SEND RAVENS AFTER YOU!?
Shouldn't this be basic manners? Like not yelling out of your car?
Which folks do anyway and scare the beejeesus out of me.
Gum chewing should not be allowed on offices, especially POPPING.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
This may sound LESS THAN SENSITIVE (pattern, rite) but anxious response to stimulus basically plagued my cousin-in-law until she got cognitive behavioral therapy in order to learn how to derail that anxious response. so, therapy.

pre-emptive guess at response: if too poor for therapy: self-help books related to issue?

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
"Excuse me. I find your gum popping very distracting. Could you please stop? Thanks."
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Headphones?
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I do. Ear canal phones were made my ANGELS. They are heavenly.
You plug them in and it's like you're floating in a bubble of music. Great for train rides.

I just wish there was something I could do about the SMELL of gum. I hate that smell.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just wish there was something I could do about the SMELL of gum. I hate that smell.
If it really does bother you that much, Samp's advice seems like it is on target. You probably need to try to manage/modify your responses to these stimuli, since you don't have much chance of changing the popularity or odor of gum.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like a bit of an overreaction on your part. I don't really care for some smells and noises but if it is truly driving you nuts, there are lots of things you can do to help train yourself to react differently. A lot of times it actually has to do with exposing yourself to these stimuli and remaining exposed while you work on relaxation techniques. After repeated exposures that end in relaxation rather than stress the initial response can be changed.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

EEEEEEK. But the problem with that is I'll have to LISTEN TO PEOPLE POP GUM!

Which will drive me crazy! Hence, why I love my earcanal headphones so I can listen to iamamiwhoami instead of pop snap crackle POP SNAP.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
EEEEEEK. But the problem with that is I'll have to LISTEN TO PEOPLE POP GUM!

Which will drive me crazy!

yeah no you are very oversensitive to a whole host of innocuous exterior stimuli.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, she does have a medical condition that causes precisely that.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
And this symptom isn't addressed in the treatment of that condition?
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

The synesthesia? I don't think that's a medical condition, but I have to admit it makes good music heavenly and annoying sounds hell.

I suspect I may be on the autism spectrum as well. But there's a whole host of people who also get driven out of their mind by gum popping and loud chewing. I hate when my ears seek such stuff OUT.

Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! Whaddya know? I thought that was just a cool username.
[Smile]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Gum popping doesn't bother me, but any amount of plastic squeaking will drive me up the wall. I used to have to take the lids off of Icee cups when I got them for my little brothers because if one squeaked at the wrong time, I could totally end up having a wreck!

I'm curious - how is your hearing when there is lots of background noise? I myself find that I have exceptional hearing when it comes to picking up sounds, but I often can't hear the TV or a conversation with the person next to me because I have a hard time filtering out all the ambient background noise.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I find self-hypnosis techniques to help me tune things out helpful. Though I obviously don't always function at 100% while using them.

(I have Sensory Processing Disorder.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.