FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What Diet?

Author Topic: What Diet?
LisethMA
Member # 12162

- posted      Profile for LisethMA   Email LisethMA         Edit/Delete Post 
So here I am 2 and a half years later, and my excuse "I just had a baby" is wearing thin. In fact, I don't think I could use that anymore at all, while pointing to an active running, talking toddler. I'm not the shy type so I'll just say the truth, I gained about 45 lbs since I had her. What makes it worse is that its still there!

I spent 425 dollars on a elliptical and yes, they do work. 15 minutes on that thing and you feel like you ran an hour on a regular treadmill. I'm desperate (but not crazy or willing to do anything unhealthy) so Godric and I got an idea. What about the Atkins diet?

Okay maybe we are crazy... We both have a friend who swears on it since his mother lost significant amount of weight, but I'm a skeptic. Has anyone tried this diet? I've read about it, but seriously it sounds like every other diet to me. You lose the weight because you eat what it tells you until you get fed up on being told what to eat and the pounds just start rolling on back. I wouldn't mind cutting on bread altogether since my food loves are red meat and dairy. Which is why I heard I'd "like" the diet.

Can anyone offer any information they may know?
Thanks.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't bother with the Atkins diet. Just ... don't. it's controversial. As in, some studies think its okay. Some don't. Jury's out. Lots of inconclusiveness. Potential problems. It could easily be swapped out for a general diet plan that has proven efficacy.

My suggestion is to sign up for Sparkpeople and ACTUALLY DO IT. like, record EVERYTHING YOU EAT. Make sure to meet goals on calories from fat/fiber/carbs. Start exercise plans and stick with them. Maybe even move up to downloading sparkpeople's weekly shopping list and making all the stuff in it every day.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know if you are an avid Soda fan but if you drink sodas and juices alot you can lose quite a bit of weight by just dropping soda and juice and replacing it with either water (64 oz. or more a day is shown to increase the body's metabolism)or a thick yougurt+fruit+protien and vitamin shake. The average person who drops out the soda and juice will lose about 20-26lbs per year. Having on two occasions done this sort of "diet" in my life (i really really really like soda, so it is pretty much impossible for me to stay away from it forever) i can tell you that both times that i have stopped the soda for water i have lost just over 20 lbs.
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
my recommendation, eat more fruits and veggies and whole grains, less processed food and meat, and work out. I think that's the best "diet" anyone can ever go on.

If your food loves are red meat and dairy that could be a significant chunk of the problem right there.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a structured diet to follow, try Weight Watchers. It's the only "diet" I've done where I didn't feel like I was depriving myself.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
You will lose weight on the Atkins diet.

And then, when you return to normal eating because Atkins is horrible for you and makes you feel bad, you will gain it all back and more.

1. Don't drink your calories. Diet sodas are okay, but drink water and milk.

2. Don't drink juice - eat whole fruit.

3. Join sparkpeople if you don't have any money for it or weight watchers if you do.

There's no way to do it that makes it stick except exercise and diet - both, together.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the best advice can be found here: Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food. His advice is summarized in seven words:

quote:
Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
The 'Eat Food' points to Strider's point of staying away from processed food, which Pollan argues is hardly food at all. 'Not too much' is great advice. Stop eating before your feel full. The feeling of fullness has a time lag. If you eat until you feel full, you're almost certainly eating more than you need. If you eat-out a lot, ask for a to go container when they bring out the food. Then put half of what you order into the container and save it for later. Portions here in America are outrageous. And the 'mostly plants' thing is self-explanatory.

I've lost 20 pounds in the last two years. I drink no soda (diet Pepsi on occasion), virtually no processed foods (single exception: Oreos. You'll have to tear those from my cold, dead hands), and have become a mostly-vegetarian. I love my meat, but eat it once or twice a week, tops.

I've also been climbing a beastly hill every day to get to campus, have been rock wall climbing and walking/hiking/running a fair amount.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Pollan's in Defense of Food was a great read, I second the recommendation.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing you might want to do is see your doctor to make sure you don't have any food allergies. The corn syrup damaged my ability to tell when I'm hungry. I'm just now starting to get that back 8 or 9 months later. I'm also on Vitamin D which helps you feel full since mine was almost seriously low.

Also, I've been under a lot of stress at work, so if anyone can recommend a good way to feel better without stuffing myself full of carbs, I'd love to hear it. I don't want to have to choose between not being depressed and losing 30 pounds.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Also, I've been under a lot of stress at work, so if anyone can recommend a good way to feel better without stuffing myself full of carbs, I'd love to hear it.

Forty-five minutes to an hour of cardiovascular exercise, fueled by oatmeal and whole wheat stuff. I am made happy by both, and there's no question the carbs are less work. The exercise makes me happy for longer, though, and my sleep is better.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having success with this program called The Diet Solution. There's a video there that sold me on it, and I've lost 20 pounds in the last 2 months.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Launchy, do you only get downloads for the price, or do they send you books?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisethMA
Member # 12162

- posted      Profile for LisethMA   Email LisethMA         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you everyone for the information. I like having new research tools that I didn't know of. I'm not much of a soda drinker, in fact I never had soda in the fridge until I married Godric. :-) I will definitely look into these links, so thanks again for providing them.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Had to look up the question, Uprooted. I opted to just download all the .pdf e-books, but she does offer the program in hard-copy for an extra 20 bucks (which, from the look of it, is just printed and spiral-bound together).

Note: I've actually got a link to all the materials in the DSP that I already shared with my family and friends. She's got a great e-mail list, too.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
The South Beach diet is based on the Atkin's diet, and it works just as well. However, it is far more sustainable than the Adkin's diet, and much better for you. It is more of a lifestyle change than a diet, which is why it is so good.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually just wrote an article on the best way to lose weight, but haven't fully looked at all the various diets and the differences/advantages of them.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.