FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is it OK to publicly insult the Pope decades before he became the Pope?

Author Topic: Is it OK to publicly insult the Pope decades before he became the Pope?
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading an old book called "God Game" by Andrew M. Greeley.

How old?

There is a lot of talk about his brand new super fast computer--the 286 with its 10 Meg hard drive and Windows operating system.

Yes, it was written in the 80's and is very dated.

In this book the author/hero plays a new computer game on his computer, where he uses his TV as his monitor, when his new Satellite Dish is struck by lightening opening up a rift into another dimension where the actions he types for his characters in the computer come true.

Since, by appearances on the book jacket, Mr. Greeley is a Priest, the theology debated within the story is very Catholic in view point.

Then at one point the Author Character (as compared to The Real Author who chimes in on a few pages) says the following:

"Now before Cardinal Josef Ratzinger and the bully boys from the Congregation for the Defense of the Faith--as the Inquisition is euphemistically called these days--come after me with their thumbscrews and their heresy charges..."

He implies that Cardinal Ratzinger is a brute and a villian. Not a major insult, but not something you should publish about the person who will by your boss in a couple of decades.

This book is so dated that I found it funnier than the author hoped, but I found this comment, buried in the middle of the book, to be...what is the opposite of prophetic?

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that Fr. Greeley is not remotely bothered by having written unflattering things about the Pope - past or present. I believe that he would have been just as likely (if not more likely) to have written it had he been prescient regarding the Cardinal. Though he did, upon the election of Pope Benedict, encourage giving him a chance, Fr. Greeley would not have shied from criticism because the man was "his boss". He didn't regarding his previous "boss".

Nor is his assessment of then Cardinal Ratzinger unique among Catholics, neither is he alone in expressing it. Then or now.

[ June 20, 2010, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: kmbboots ]

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
He implies that Cardinal Ratzinger is a brute and a villian.

Obligatory image

Carry on... [Razz]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Great book, though. I still have my copy from when it first came out. But I've always been a sucker for books where the characters come alive.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved that book when I read it years ago. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay to publically insult anyone, provided you are telling the truth or making no actual factual comments.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. Windows DID exist that early, starting in 85. I was going to try to call you out on that, but I was wrong. Well, anyway, I used DOS on the family computer at least through 93.

Darth_Mauve, does the author character say anything in response to the insult to Ratzinger?

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I know Windows existed in 85. I was selling it. And for that, there is a spot in Purgatory waiting for me, but I digress.

The Author Character is the one that made this insult. He was pontificating on a point of theology and knew it came close to the line between official church position and heresy. He didn't want an over-eager authority to misconstrue his meaning.

The book is not so much a question of are fictional characters real, but a study of how God, who created us as we create characters in our stories, must ultimately love them.

The Author Character realizes that he is an imperfect and non-omnipotent God, so there are limits on what he can do. He does present himself as proof of an all-loving God though.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Fr. Greeley is an example of how tolerant and non-dogmatic the Catholic faith can be. There is tremendous room for dissent and diversity of opinion in the Church.

So, while he is a priest, this statement
quote:
Since, by appearances on the book jacket, Mr. Greeley is a Priest, the theology debated within the story is very Catholic in view point.
is a little less clear and evident than it sounds. He is reflective of one of many Catholic viewpoints. As Kate says, he's been far from reticent about criticizing the Vatican throughout his whole career.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Bear in mind that Fr. Greeley became a priest during a very dynamic era in Catholic history and in a very dynamic place. Chicago has a tradition of fiesty Catholics and he was here in the years before and during the Second Vatican Council. The Vatican has been trying to suppress some of that dissent and diversity and Fr. Greeley response to that attempt has not been subtle.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
It's okay to publically insult anyone, provided you are telling the truth or making no actual factual comments.

I disagree, mostly.

Also, for a priest to do it, well, not so much. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Fox
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Black Fox   Email Black Fox         Edit/Delete Post 
The Pope is not nearly as all powerful as some people would have him be. That and in the end the priest would simply say that the Pope is not his boss, that his boss was God/Jesus.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Exactly. Now. A priest may or may not get "in trouble", depending on the circumstances but it is certainly "okay". I would even say it is a good thing.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.