FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mobile Internet Advice (mayfly)

Author Topic: Mobile Internet Advice (mayfly)
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all. I'm staying with a friend to attend grad school for a couple weeks and just found out upon arrival that she does not have any Internet other than her smartphone. This leaves me with only my iPhone to connect to the Internet. It will be necessary, in the course of my work here, to connect my desktop pc to the Internet.

I'm wondering if anyone has advice on temporary solutions for this. Is it possible to rent or prepay for a 3G USB key? I know that a lot of cellular data providers want to lock you into a long contract. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

In the meantime, I have attempted to tether my phone to my computer, and it is working, so long as I don't get caught by AT&T. Shhhhhhh.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
in my area you can get a high speed connection for $30 or so. in the end this seems like it would be more useful than just an Iphone hookup.
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Verizon, T-Mobile, and Virgin Wireless all provide 3G services without a contract. The problem is they usually charge upwards of $200 for the USB adapter. Then you need to purchase pre-paid hours/data.

Here in Vegas I saw a brochure for Verizon. It was $194 for the adapter, and $60 for 5gb of data or 30 days, whicher you hit first.

If you have Cox cable in your area, go for that. They don't require a contract on their internet plans.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
keep trying the tethering.

I use mine with AT&T all the time.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep tethering, and learn to make use of internet cafes. These are by far your cheapest options.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help, all. I found out about Virgin Mobile's plans that didn't require contracts, and the USB key was actually priced at about $70, which isn't too bad. But in the meantime, I'm just going to keep tethering. Campus has wifi, so Internet cafés and Starbucks aren't necessary, and don't particularly help with the question of getting Internet onto my desktop PC. Though I do recall an Improv Everywhere in which the participants all brought their desktop pcs and CRT monitors into Internet cafés...
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.