FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you keep arrogant people from bugging you?

Author Topic: How do you keep arrogant people from bugging you?
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stand people who, with everything they say, indicate that they think they're so funny or clever. I was always taught that it wasn't polite to show off, so I get internally angry when other people "get away" with doing so. I wish I could just not let it get me down, but it seems to be easier said than done for me.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I just remember I'm infinitely superior to them in every conceivable way, then I put on shades, say 'peace' and kickflip away.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably fall into that category from time to time. (I'm not sure if your issue is with people who do it on occasion or people who are always like that). Also not sure whether you asking for a way to privately deal with it, or a way to politely ask them to stop.

I don't think of it as anything "inherently" rude, but I think there are circumstances where it is not appropriate, and if you're dominating every conversation then there's a problem. If you're in one of those circumstances I think "hey, could you tone it down" is a perfectly valid thing to say. If not... well, basically you either grin and bear it or you go ahead and say something that might come across as rude (depending on the social norms at the time) but will get most people to ease up on it.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of people -- many of whom are beneath me -- think I'm arrogant. I don't even deign to notice them.

But seriously, an internal shrug reflex is useful. You can't change them, but you might be able to change how you feel about them.

If that doesn't work, think of irritating people the same way you think of the weather. Nothing personal, but just some of the background of your daily life.

Another tack: remember that to somebody else, even if only to themselves, some of these are genuinely funny or clever, so they're brightening somebody's day.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
If you played basketball in highschool ... yeah.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't arrogance that bothers me. It's misplaced arrogance. Penn Gillette is arrogant, but he's got the intelligence to back it up, so it doesn't irk me.

When people call me arrogant (and oddly enough, it happens less frequently than you'd think), I usually just say, "You say that like it's a bad thing."

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I define arrogance as either "thinking you're BETTER that other people" (as opposed to smarter, or stronger, or whatever, because those are actual traits you can measure and denying it is just as silly as emphasizing it) or "thinking you're (stronger/smarter/faster) than you really are."

Anything else is Pride, which is perfectly healthy IMO.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Omega: In all honest, and I say this kindly, you might consider working on your self confidence. Nobody can make you feel below them.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 5938

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone           Edit/Delete Post 
Take away their credit cards.

No, wait, that's how you keep a herd of elephants from charging.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nobody can make you feel below them.
This. If you don't want to think they're as great as they think they are, that's your prerogative.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I read the initial post not as "they make me feel inferior" so much as "they're acting rude and its annoying."
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
If you've got any questions about arrogant people, you've come to the right place. [Big Grin]
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anything else is Pride, which is perfectly healthy IMO.
Ehh. I'd say it's usually okay in moderation, and only as a means, not an end.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

eh.... okay we're into silly semantic territory by this point, but basically my definitions are "if it's unhealthy, it's arrogance, if it's healthy, it's pride."
rollainm
Member # 8318

Well, Ray, you're just wrong. I'd elaborate, but it's not like you'd understand anyway.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
*kickflips out of thread*
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was always taught that it wasn't polite to show off, so I get internally angry when other people "get away" with doing so.
Do you wish you could do the same, or do you feel like the world is a little more unfair because they are not being punished for what you consider to be rude behavior?

If you wish you could do the same, you probably could.

If you wish them to be punished to keep justice in the world, I suggest picking your battles. And not picking this one. There are all sorts of horrible things people get away with, and excessive bravado won't even make the top twenty.

If you feel like their confidence takes away something from you, I suggest, as others have above, in increasing your self confidence. It isn't a zero sum game. Someone else's swagger doesn't take anything from you.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

Samprimary went offroad and did backflips and landed on back wheels but kept going too.

edit to include reward of 10 e-cookies for anyone who gets the reference. (Please, someone get the reference so I can feel a bit more nerdish rather than dorkish).

[ July 15, 2010, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: rollainm ]

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, you forgot your shades.

EDIT-timing = ruined

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I thought it was funny regardless.
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
[QUOTE] Someone else's swagger doesn't take anything from you.

Yes, this.

I recall in early high school walking through the mall with a group including my brother. Looking across the walkway at a stranger who was exhibiting arrogance, my brother became indignant: "Look at that guy. I hate people like that."

Then someone in our group replied to my brother, "Looks like you're the one with the problem."

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

quote:
Originally posted by Anthonie:
quote:
[QUOTE] Someone else's swagger doesn't take anything from you.

Yes, this.

I recall in early high school walking through the mall with a group including my brother. Looking across the walkway at a stranger who was exhibiting arrogance, my brother became indignant: "Look at that guy. I hate people like that."

Then someone in our group replied to my brother, "Looks like you're the one with the problem."

I do agree with kat. But your brother expressing his distaste with the way another carries himself doesn't necessarily mean he has a problem. You don't have to feel inferior or intimidated by his arrogance to know you find his behavior off-putting.

If someone expresses their distaste with bigotry or willful ignorance or violent behavior, do you think "Looks like you're the one with the problem" is an appropriate response?

T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it arrogance if I just think I'm better, not actually say it regularly?
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
eh.... okay we're into silly semantic territory by this point, but basically my definitions are "if it's unhealthy, it's arrogance, if it's healthy, it's pride."

You know, in all seriousness, I wonder if this might make an interesting discussion topic. The justification of pride, that is.
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
what if in groups I'm humble and kind and well, put other people first just in general presence. But one on one I'm brutally honest and let people know (not always in words) that I think of myself as better than them, because I just have a super high self esteem. And one on one if I'm dissappointed with one of my friends I let them know.

Cause this is what I do, and I definately don't feel arrogant. I feel good about myself. But occasionally people get really frustrated with my attitude. And calling me arrogant because supposedly I'm only really nice to people to make myself think I'm better and then be arrogant!

I just like being good to people in public and making sure I don't put them down in front of anyone who may overhear any criticisms.

/end rant

*guess this post is kind of useless, but I've had some strange conversations lately [Smile] *

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
I do agree with kat. But your brother expressing his distaste with the way another carries himself doesn't necessarily mean he has a problem. You don't have to feel inferior or intimidated by his arrogance to know you find his behavior off-putting.

If someone expresses their distaste with bigotry or willful ignorance or violent behavior, do you think "Looks like you're the one with the problem" is an appropriate response?

Hmmm, actually no I don't think that is an appropriate response in such situations. Good point. In fact, to express distaste to bigotry or willful ignorance or violent behavior I usually esteem as honorable.

Thinking back to the situation, I do recall my brother saying he hated PEOPLE like that, not the behavior. But I know my brother, and he was in high school, and he most likely didn't mean he hated the person. He was reacting to the behavior.

There is also more back-story that I should mention. My brother himself was (and sometimes still is) quite arrogant. He was always certain that he was the best, that his solutions were the only valid ones, and that most other people were incompetent. He did not like being threatened/challenged by others with similar "confidence". Considering this and looking back, the comment "Looks like you're the one with the problem" had to do with my brother's own arrogance, not with his moral opprobrium of the behavior.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this post has everything to do with security and insecurity.

If someone is irked by confidence, one possible cause for the irking is insecurity - which has already been pointed out. It's worth introspection and rising above.

However, it could be possible that the person being clever and arrogant is the insecure one. Many intellectuals, or just people with above-average intelligence, are below-average in other areas. They therefore try to fill the humorous and witty niche by being condescending and my speaking in ways that are meant to illicit a reaction from other people to fulfill this need.

I try to mock people like that - I don't really care about proper grammar in proper conversation, but a lot of my friends are elitist - and so I constantly correct improper usages of who/whom. Usually helps to shrink their ego back to size [Wink]

But more seriously - a "How to win friends and influence people" approach might be to stroke their ego so that they stop trying so hard. Or, if you're close with the person, to tell them, kindly and gently how they sometimes come off.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't really care about proper grammar in proper conversation, but a lot of my friends are elitist - and so I constantly correct improper usages of who/whom. Usually helps to shrink their ego back to size...
Really? I have to admit that I find this hard to believe. Most of the elitists I know would be relatively unaffected by this strategy.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

In the context of our friendship, it makes sense. They know I'm playfully poking fun at them. As a stand-alone strategy...not so much.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:

Omega: In all honest, and I say this kindly, you might consider working on your self confidence. Nobody can make you feel below them.

Yes, you're probably right. My main problem is that, when somebody acts arrogant or tells a bunch of dumb jokes and nobody says anything, I feel that there's "peer pressure" on me to act the same way. On a more primal level, it bugs me when they appear to enchant women by acting like that. (I am sometimes too serious around women on dates, but the people that bug me are ones I wouldn't even strive to act like.)

This is mainly a problem I have with people on the Internet. (It's not necessarily a problem with people who I think are wrong, as in the xkcd cartoon: people who I basically agree with can bug me if they try too hard to be funny, and people who I think are wrong don't really bug me if it's clear we're starting from different assumptions.) Maybe it's just a problem of tone being hard to tell in writing.

An easy solution for me would be to stop going to the sites where people bug me; but I do learn things at the sites in question, and I think it would be immature of me to stop reading a site just because some people on it are a little annoying.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I only try to be arrogant when I drive and the other person can't hear me. That way I can put them down and call them names without them even knowing. [Smile]
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'm arrogant a large proportion of the time. It works for me on many, many levels. I was told just last weekend that I have a Kramer entrance - not that I'm loud or dramatic, but that when I walk in a room it is an entrance. This isn't always true of me, but it is true of me when I'm happy. If my swagger is gone, it means I'm miserable and just trying to get through things.

But I mean what I said above. My swagger doesn't take anything away from other people. I don't consider it a zero sum game.

For what's annoying, in real life I get really irritated with insecurity. That kind of thing feels way needier to me, like I'm supposed to prop someone up. I want to tell them to prop themselves up and stop laying out a guilt trip in order to be the center of attention. It's just as presumptious, but offers less in return.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
Samprimary went offroad and did backflips and landed on back wheels but kept going too

Ravenholm with a sign underneath it saying 'u sudn't come here'
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:

For what's annoying, in real life I get really irritated with insecurity. That kind of thing feels way needier to me, like I'm supposed to prop someone up. I want to tell them to prop themselves up and stop laying out a guilt trip in order to be the center of attention. It's just as presumptious, but offers less in return.

I relate to this. I used to be really sensitive towards people's insecurities in high school. Now, it drives me insane. Especially because you aren't going to be secure by using me a reservoir of strength for your self esteem. Until you have an internal sense of self, you're always gonna be dependent and insecure - So I feel like I don't want to feed into that.
katharina
Member # 827

Exactly.
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
I find arrogance to be just as off-putting--and just as needy--as aggressive insecurity. In fact (to riff of off Bierce), arrogance is just insecurity at the top of one's voice.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Omega: I used to be a professional dating coach, so I can give you a couple tips. Confidence is very attractive. Insecure people often try to appear confident by being arrogant or insulting or aggressive. Those things require outside validation, they're attention seeking, which is why they can be obnoxious if you don't want to give them attention.

What you want to do, an I know this isn't like flipping a switch, is to develop self confidence. Become very competant at something. Learn to appreciate your strengths. Realize that you don't need outside validation to know that you are valuable.

Real confidence shows in your attitude, and it will beat out loud insecurity in the guise of arrogance or rudeness or passive aggressive behavior.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't stand insecurity in people, are you really that confident yourself? I always find that the things I have the least patience with in someone else are the things I'm the weakest in myself.

I would think a truly confident person wouldn't be fazed much by an insecure person. In fact, in my experience, confident people tend to rise to the lead among insecure people, rather than being repelled by them.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I think some arrogance emerges out of neediness. People who need to be acknowledged as funny/clever the whole time sound uncertain to me, rather than arrogant. In that case, the best thing you can do acknowledge them when they truly are funny/interesting, and ignore them when they are not.

I'm sometimes judged as arrogant by acquaintences, and the people who do so are not entirely wrong all the time. But that doesn't mean that I'm also not insecure-- often about precisely the same things about which I exhibit arrogance.

I think that true confidence, the kind that serves you best, comes out of an acceptance and understanding of uncertainty and risk. If you can face an uncertain situation with the acceptance that you may make mistakes or that you may fail entirely (and you have the will to attempt to avoid failure)-- and yet you have the strategies and the will to forge on nevertheless-- you are truly confident.

I've often done poorly in interviews because I have been too confident and I have spoken my mind rather than giving carefully thought out interview answers. That's arrogance.

Good science, I feel, is like this. When it comes to cutting edge theory, all scientists must work carefully and confidently, in the knowledge that the strategies they have are good and time tested ones. Yet at the same time, they must acknowledge the possibility that their theory may be flawed or that the science they are undertaking may not end in immediately useful results.

quote:

I disagree that being repelled by arrogance is a fault. Some arrogance is harmful and some harmful arrogance is preceded by swagger. I think swagger is utterly unnecessary. Confidence, sure. Command a room, sure. Swagger? No.

I've just been watching Star Trek TNG and I'm thinking of Jean-Luc Picard's command of a room. He couldn't be said to swagger and yet he exhibited supreme confidence. He, I would say, is aware of the risks and uncertainties, yet has the confidence to walk onto the bridge of the Enterprise and make decisions.

I think exhibiting arrogance through actions or through swagger is a deliberate attempt to diminish others in the room. I don't think that's what we should do.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm seeing a whole lot of different definitions of "arrogance", "insecurity", and even "swagger" used in this thread.

I do agree that it makes a lot of sense to see about changing yourself if something outside your control is bugging you.

But it's definitely hard, and there's no great sin in having an opinion about someone else's behavior. Spend as much energy fixing the annoyance as it is worth.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
If you can't stand insecurity in people, are you really that confident yourself? I always find that the things I have the least patience with in someone else are the things I'm the weakest in myself.

I would think a truly confident person wouldn't be fazed much by an insecure person. In fact, in my experience, confident people tend to rise to the lead among insecure people, rather than being repelled by them.

I tend to agree.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
If all else fails, just tell arrogant people that they smell funny.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I don't shun blatantly insecure people, but I don't like to be close friends with them. Way too high maintenance. People who need that much propping up tend to be really exhausting and kind of self-centered, because they demand so much attention they don't have much to give back.

I suspect most/all people are a little insecure. At least the ones who deal with it by brimming with self confidence are self-sustaining.

[ July 19, 2010, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Armoth
Member # 4752

Yea. It's not that simple. You can't just "rise to the leadership positions" amongst the insecure. I mean, you can, but the issue here is neediness. i think in high school that's the exact position I was in. Leader of my friends. But it gets frustrating when people whom you care about are in an endless loop of insecurity and the way they try to get out of it is by YOU propping them up. As mentioned above, that never works because they are basing their self esteem externally.

5, 10 years later and some of my friends are still in those same awful and unhealthy positions. It' sad. Rising to leadership in these situations sometimes hurts more than it helps.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:
If all else fails, just tell arrogant people that they smell funny.

Or, "... uh, I'm sorry. Fuzzed out there for a bit. What were you saying?" This is especially effective when the person's voice has been raised.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

My avatar in most forums is a squirtle with sunglasses on, y'know, the captain of the squirtle squad, so whenever someone says something arrogant and kind of stupid I'm like "squirtle?"
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to get upset about people's arrogance, especially since it was often ill-advised, given their many shortcomings. But I began to simply treat such people with compassion and respect, and I found that most of them immediately toned down their arrogance in response to my desire for collaboration and dialectic.

I would never be able to reach the ones who don't respond to this sort of approach anyway, so I simply leave them to their own devices.

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I was really helped in this, and most other areas of conflict in my life, by the book The Anatomy of Peace.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.