FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » God Hates Nerds

Author Topic: God Hates Nerds
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
http://gizmodo.com/5588219/god-hates-nerds

I found it funny. And sad. But mostly funny. I wouldn't be safe even were I straight.

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
they are sort of running out of source material i guess, or phelps is growing (increasingly more) senile on top of all his crazy. either way.. can't wait for GOD HATES LORRY DRIVERS and GOD HATES PEOPLE WHO WALK AROUND WITH LACES ON THEIR SHOES
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... Rom. 9:13 "As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated"

Esau was a nerd? I'm so confused.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if they're really so concerned about idolatry, they ought to be hanging out outside of sports stadiums rather than the ComicCon.

Of course, sports fans would be far more likely to beat the ever-lovin' fudge out of them...

...So I guess what I'm saying is, yeah, they should be protesting outside of sports stadiums. [Evil]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Now they hate me double! Oh noooooooooo...

Oh, wait. I'd almost forgotten that Fred Phelps is totally irrelevant, has no influence anywhere, is condemned by virtually every Christian group, and has a parish that basically just consists of his family members. Whew! That was a close one.

I assume he was depressed because he's been out of the limelight for so long, so he had to hatefully condemn yet another group. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I've been thinking of going gay, based solely on Rev. Fred Phelps' condemnation of it.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Now you can just be a nerd instead!
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
They have hated me for years. Just not for being gay. For being a tolerant person who thinks they are sad, moronic people.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
They've hated you personally, in specific?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't you know, Tom? They pray for each person by name. The entire world. To make SURE you go to hell. That god will never forgive you, specifically you. You... you NERD you!
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tinros:
Didn't you know, Tom? They pray for each person by name. The entire world.

Maybe Phelps is related to Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
NERD! (points at Noemon)

Wait, I understood the reference, so... Ack! I'm suddenly filled with self-loathing!

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
They've hated you personally, in specific?

Yes.

They just didn't KNOW it yet. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
NERD! (points at Noemon)

Wait, I understood the reference, so... Ack! I'm suddenly filled with self-loathing!

:: runs away before the torches and pitchforks come out ::
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I sure would love it if we ever got to a point, technologically, where the possibility of religious extremism directly or indirectly causing people's deaths went away. Between religious fervor and atheist fervor caused by religious fervor, we have really been run through the wringer lo these last few thousand years.

If I ever meet God, and it is determined that he, in fact, wasn't joking, I would have some choice words for him/her. Personally, I don't buy the notion of a God that is separate in any real way from any/all sentient beings, but whatever.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Batman taught me some great values as a child, Jesus certainly never had to wiegh the pros and cons of killing The Joker even if letting him live cost so many lives. Because killing is wrong even when its right, thanks Batman.

And BTW Kansas, God hates bigots too.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that poster picture is photoshopped. The word "NERDS" looks a lot smoother and font-like than the first two words.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Between religious fervor and atheist fervor caused by religious fervor.
[Roll Eyes]

Yes, lets absolve atheists of any responsibility for actions committed out of "fervor," because after all, it's religious people's fault.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

It occurs to me whoever wrote all those begat sections of the Bible had to be at least a little bit of a nerd.
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:
Originally posted by Tinros:
Didn't you know, Tom? They pray for each person by name. The entire world.

Maybe Phelps is related to Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged.
Props +100
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Hey, did you read that God-awful estate-approved Colfer take on the HHGTTG series? He made Wowbagger a major character and gave him a redemptive arc. *shudder*
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
It's no doubt the picture in the OP is photoshopped. Whether or not that means the whole story is faked, I don't know, but it does cast doubt on the source's credibility.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
It is on their schedule on their website here. Bear in mind that this takes you directly to the Westboro Baptist Church website, and so you WILL find offensive material here.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Because someone had to point this out eventually.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Between religious fervor and atheist fervor caused by religious fervor.
[Roll Eyes]

Yes, lets absolve atheists of any responsibility for actions committed out of "fervor," because after all, it's religious people's fault.

I'm not blaming anybody in particular, except for a probably non-existent omnipotent/omniscient Creator. Human nature being what it is, people will sometimes take a schizophrenic delusion for a religious vision, and start a religion around it. Human nature being what it is, people will often form religious organizations that foster oppression. Finally, human nature being what it is, people will sometimes rebel against oppression. It's all straight from human nature. The question is, how much longer do we have to put up with al-Qaeda, the RC church being anti-condoms in Africa, and other such stuff? How many more people will die because of all this?

Surely it's acceptable for me to complain when decisions are made from religious belief that directly contradict the facts. However, please realize I'm also not defending communist oppression of religion. That's no more balanced than Fred Phelps or bin Laden. The way I see it, ideally, if a religion isn't doing demonstrable harm, it shouldn't be oppressed.

I'm on neither side. I'm waiting for the rest of you to see the pointlessness of attacking people over religion, in the absence of demonstrable harm. KoM is just as out of line as Lisa, all other things being equal. Everybody who bothers to attack someone over religion is automatically part of the problem, until they stop. It is the very definition of counterproductive to bother fighting over religion, in situations without demonstrable harm involved, neh? And, by demonstrable, I mean "demonstrable to a disinterested third party", I think.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
God hates Phelpsian fruitbats.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
God hates Phelpsian fruitbats.

... Doesnt everyone?
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hedwig
Member # 2315

- posted      Profile for Hedwig           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brian J. Hill:
It's no doubt the picture in the OP is photoshopped. Whether or not that means the whole story is faked, I don't know, but it does cast doubt on the source's credibility.

http://jcim.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/god_hates_fags_12-25-20021.jpg
Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
God hates faqs.

They never do what they're supposed to do.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I think "God Hates Nerds" would make a phenomenal title for a song.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

I'm actually just a little bit more offended as a nerd than I am as a gay man. I don't know why. I just find it to be so much more affronting.
Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I think "God Hates Nerds" would make a phenomenal title for a song.

Someone should tell MC Frontalot about this.
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm actually just a little bit more offended as a nerd than I am as a gay man.
Could it be that is because one of those qualifiers is an innate trait and the other is a life choice?

I'll let the rest argue which is which.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Lol... Nerds are perfectly natural members of the mammalian kingdom and occur across several species like cats, dolphins and one time I saw a whale wearing a Naruto t-shirt.
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
quote:
I'm actually just a little bit more offended as a nerd than I am as a gay man.
Could it be that is because one of those qualifiers is an innate trait and the other is a life choice?

I'll let the rest argue which is which.

[ROFL]
Godric
Member # 4587

The nerds respond.
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, beat me to it. I love the "All Hail Hypno-Toad" sign.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

[Big Grin]

Full discloser: I'm a backslidden Protestant *this* close to converting to Catholicism. I don't want the atheists here on the board assuming I'm in their camp when I'm just a theist with a sense of humor and a self proclaimed nerd.

Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

Isn't back-sliding one of the things Westboro will come to your house and protest about?
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Since I live in San Diego, I'm going to bike over in an hour to see the protest.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm here, but he apparently ain't.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.