FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hello, my name is Uprooted, and I am a Buffyholic. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hello, my name is Uprooted, and I am a Buffyholic.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Uprooted, you really have to at least get through season 5. After that, meh. It's still good, but season 5 is amazing.

Oh, and Dollhouse is fantastic! The 10 years later episodes were pure brilliance.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
OK Strangelove, you win. Resuming Season 3.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't watched much of anything Joss Whedon. After getting into Bones a while back, I attempted to watch Angel, but it was so full of feelings that I gave up 2 1/2 seasons in (see, I gave it a good long try).

But someone recently told me how amazing Buffy is and told me that I simply HAD to watch it, skimming the first two seasons, and then enjoy the rest.

I proceeded to watch the entire series in about 3 weeks. That's an average of over 5 hours a day of Buffy (there were two days in there that I was sick with a flu and spend an entire day in bed watching, but still).

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Hank, if you haven't, check out Dollhouse and, of course, Firefly. Neither are huge investments of time, but both are incredibly high quality.

Oh, and Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. Though I understand some people finding that one a bit too... niche.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

I actually watched Dr. Horrible before Buffy. Loved it!

I've seen Firefly, too, and I understand the many rants I've heard about it's cancellation. Clearly a waste.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Sounds like you're pretty close to a Whedonite to me!

I also haven't watched much Angel. I'm not sure why, but I just wasn't able to get in to it. My wife watched more of it when it was actually on television, so using her guidance I've watched some of the more important or good episodes (including the last one...), but neither of us has any desire to sit through the entire series. Maybe it is something about watching Bones first?

Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
"Angel," even moreso than "Buffy," is heavily continuity-based and requires that you watch it in order from the beginning (ideally, concurrently with "Buffy") to get the full impact. It has sprawling, multi-season epic arcs that are unlike anything on Whedon's other shows. What's unfortunate is that Season 1 is one of the show's weaker seasons, and extremely uneven from episode to episode. But it sets up a lot of the major characters and some important things happen that will have reverberating consequences over the remainder of the series. And unfortunately, it's not the kind of thing where I can just say, "watch this episode and skip the rest," because the impact of the Big Events even within Season 1 is dependent on understanding character motivations and backstory that are slowly revealed over the course of the season.

If you have time, though, I'd highly recommend the show. It's every bit as character-driven and witty as Whedon's other work, and its long story arcs give it a sense of weight and permanence that "Buffy" and "Dollhouse" sometimes lacked ("Firefly," sadly, didn't last long enough to even attempt that). The development of one male character imported from "Buffy," in particular, is one of the best long-form character arcs I've ever seen on television - a stunning transformation that occurs so gradually and organically that you never once feel like the writers are actively altering who the person is, even as he changes completely between his first and last appearances.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

My previous experience with Angel was that it was rather silly, but having watched Buffy, maybe I'll give it another try. I think I could reasonable say I've converted to Whedonism.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
To me, the problem with Angel is it is not formulaic. Joss wanted the show to change, to devolve, to move forward. And some of the movement was forced and painful. Some was organic and some of the best television I've ever seen.

All and all, I'd say watch it, if you can commit to it.

Westly's transformation in season four(?) was breath takingly, heart breathtakingly amazing. But like Tarrask said, if you didn't see all the seasons, you won't get it.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

quote:
Originally posted by Stone_Wolf_:
To me, the problem with Angel is it is not formulaic. Joss wanted the show to change, to devolve, to move forward. And some of the movement was forced and painful. some of the movement was forced and painful. Some was organic and some of the best television I've ever seen.

All and all, I'd say watch it, if you can commit to it.

Westly's transformation in season four(?) was breath takingly, heart breathtakingly amazing. But like Tarrask said, if you didn't see all the seasons, you won't get it.

This was what drove me away.
Hank
Member # 8916

Oops, sorry. I only meant to respond to this:

some of the movement was forced and painful

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
(mild spoiler) The whole baby coming back as a moody teenager was grievous.

[ July 10, 2012, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: Stone_Wolf_ ]

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Season 4 was... not so good. But again, important to the ongoing arcs. And sadly, the transition from the excellent Season 3 to the friggin' sublime Season 5 makes no sense without Season 4.

...OK, it doesn't really make any sense with Season 4 either. *sigh*

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Funnily enough I started watching Buffy only a couple of months ago. I'm now at the start of season 4 and I'm also watching Angel concurrently. I've never seen an episode of either before.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.