FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Eyeglasses problem

Author Topic: Eyeglasses problem
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if anyone can offer any advice.

I'm nearsighted. For a long while I could read in bed fine without any glasses but within the last year I noticed that I couldn't do that anymore, so yesterday I got a brand new prescription and glasses.

When I'm looking straight ahead, I can see fine with these new glasses. However, when my nose isn't completely turned at what I'm starring at, my vision is blurry, and there's a colorish tint to objects/light. I'm thinking that someone made a mistake -- either the optometrist or the people who made the glasses, because this was certainly not a problem with my old set of glasses.

Anyone experience this problem? I just came back from the mall and the optometrist who gave me the prescription wasn't there but there was an older attendant present in the store she's partnered with (I actually got the glasses from a separate store that had a lap -- didn't want to wait weeks for the glasses.) I asked the gentleman for advice and (after examining the glasses) he mentioned something about focal points being in the center and the glasses having an astigmatism on them (...why would my pair have them?) He then suggested I just try them out for a while and get used to them. Having had multiple prescriptions since 2003 I'm accustomed to the initial awkwardness of a new prescription. This is NOT the same thing.

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have Astigmatism?

Have you tried going back to the place you got the glasses and asking them?

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have really small, fashionable lenses/frames, this will happen more often. Or if your prescription is really strong, or has a significant astigmatism.

The smaller the lens the more noticeable it is though.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
They ground them wrong. Take them back.
Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Take them back. You got a bad pair.

If you are used to wearing glasses already, you should never have to wear the new prescription to get used to it. I have been told the same thing before, and yep - they ground the prescription wrong. I could kill the person who told me I didn't know what I was talking about when I said the glasses were weird.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
If you had gotten bifocals or progressives, there would be a learning period as you got used to adjusting for them, but plain ol' glasses should just work. As said, take 'em back.

Glasses being ground incorrectly is becoming more common as glasses places compete with each other on price and turnaround time, but you shouldn't have to put up with their mistake.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
There are also different materials that can be used for lenses. The lower quality materials tend to cause more light refraction and thus blurred vision than the high quality materials. The test for this is to hold your glasses out so that you can seen them with a light behind you. If the light looks it's normal color, the quality is good. If the light is any other color, you have bad lenses.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Even with progressives, the getting used to period shouldn't be too long. The first time I got them I just went "whoa" and was told to try to gradually get used to them in larger increments of time each day. After 10 days I took them back to say "forget it, not working." The optometrist did some little trick where he slightly adjusted the angle of the lenses and voila! They were fine. I was annoyed that I'd been told to waste over a week of my life to try to get used to a pair of badly adjusted glasses.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this might apply to you or not.

When I first got bifocals, the reading area was a little round spot right in the center bottom of the lense. I hated having to turn my head to read in different directions. The original bifocals made me "seasick" when I went shopping and I could never see items on lower the shelves well enough to read what they were.

You can have the bifocal widened, which helps some, but for a few extra dollars I got "executive" bifocals where the entire bottom of the lense is ground for reading instead of just the little round spot. Now I have "executive" trifocals...three bands that go all the way across...one for distance, one for displays (computer, car dashboard) and one for reading. For really close work, I can use no glasses at all.

I do know if they get the measurement between the eyes wrong, or the lenses are cut so that the bifocal lines do not look perfectly parallel and in line with each other at the same level that they should be remade correctly. I also had major trouble with a coating intended to reduce glare that kept "wearing off" where it came in contact with skin oils.

Even a cheap lab should be able to make any lenses correctly, and I've had similar troubles with very expensive labs.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.