FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who is Robin Hood?

Author Topic: Who is Robin Hood?
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just watching Robin Hood (the Disney cartoon), and I'm curious how people interpret its theme:

• Is Robin Hood a liberal hero, who redistributes wealth from the evil rich people to the poor and needy who they've exploited?
  • Is Robin Hood a conservative hero, who fights back against big government run amok?
  • Or is Robin Hood just an example of how silly the liberal/conservative dichotomy is?

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
D: None of the above
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I always saw him as liberal, because A) he was the good guy and I'm a liberal so I think liberals are the good guys and by extension clearly Robin Hood must be liberal, B) because he's redistributing wealth as you say, and C) because I've never heard a conservative actually make any effort to claim Robin Hood as an icon for their own narrative. And thus I never really got any kind of message that contradicted my original assumption.

So, clearly, via careful critical analysis, Robin Hood is definitely a liberal hero.

Except now we have the Tea Party, who I can see appropriating him. So ultimately I think I'm gonna go with your option C.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Or perhaps E: A criminal/type of historical criminal with good publicity.
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Robin Hood is actually a libertarian villain who coddles the poor and redistributes wealth that could have gone to the construction of many Fritz Lang style statues of Atlas holding up the world.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Is a man not entitled to the gold of his belt pouch? NO, says the cute cartoon fox. It belongs to the countryfolk.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
lol.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Ah, this is why I love Hatrack. I want to QFT and LOL at every response so far. You're all my liberal/conservative heroes. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
While very few versions of Robin Hood make any sort of sense at all, the Robin Hood of the Disney film is a particularly baffling specimen.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Is a man not entitled to the gold of his belt pouch? NO, says the cute cartoon fox. It belongs to the countryfolk.

I feel embarrassed asking this, but is this specific phrasing from an actual Ayn Rand book or is it just from Bioshock?
Speed
Member # 5162

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
While very few versions of Robin Hood make any sort of sense at all, the Robin Hood of the Disney film is a particularly baffling specimen.

I know. A fox who could beat a wolf in archery? Please...
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I think Orson Scott Card actually declared the Disney version to be among the more accurate (at least insofar as the most "official" legend available).

I lack the historical background to evaluate that claim.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
quote:

I feel embarrassed asking this, but is this specific phrasing from an actual Ayn Rand book or is it just from Bioshock?
I immediately thought the latter, but I've personally never read Ayn Rand.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
quote:

It's entirely from Bioshock. It's Andrew Ryan.

(who is actually a complicated figure who could be argued to be an argument either for or against libertarianism, or a cautionary tale about the vulnerability of ideological idealism versus externalities and human nature)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.