FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Minding your own business (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Minding your own business
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Unless you know someone well enough to be certain they want you to tell them if the shade of lipstick they wear looks awful, its very rude to say anything about it. No matter how nicely you try to put it, saying anything at all is inherently rude.

I disagree. I think some people have a tremendous talent for criticizing without offending. Also, after several years doing call center customer service and tech support, I know that it is a skill that most people, if they try hard enough, for a long time, can get much better at. That's not to say it's easy for everyone, but I remember having this exact discussion with an ex-girlfriend of mine.

Me: "There's no way you can nicely tell a woman that she needs to get rid of her peach fuzz mustache. You will anger her, and/or hurt her feelings. It's a given.

Her:" No, if you say something like 'You already are cute, but you'd look even cuter if you'd just let somebody wax your upper lip.'

Me: "you know, you've convinced me".

I had to paraphrase her wording there, but, trust me, her tone/delivery/phrasing all worked together to make it very palatable.

I figure, if she could pull that off, then it's definitely possible to mention the danger of texting while driving without teeing someone off. Harder, but possible. Granted, the woman that told Geraine off has ZERO skilz, but that doesn't mean that there aren't people who DO.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyr, why not call the cops (or campus police, if this is happening on a college campus) and tell them the problem.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.