FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A mathematical question (mayfly)

Author Topic: A mathematical question (mayfly)
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
What does the double apostrophe notation mean?

For example:

2(1+4)"2(3+5)"

Or, for a comparison question:

If xy > 0 and y = x"2, then,

A. y
B. 0

Both of the above questions were in an actual GRE.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Double prime or second derivative?
I'm not sure if it makes sense in context though.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The equations you've posted do not make mathematical sense. If they were in an actually GRE, there must have been some kind of error. I'm guessing the equations used some special font that wasn't available on the computer you used.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not actually the one who took the GRE, I'm simply posting the questions on behalf of a friend. So, it's possible that you are correct, and the person made some kind of error in reading the question. I admit that the questions did not make much sense to me, as posted, but it's been about four years since I'd taken a rigorous mathematics course, so I thought I would try asking here.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Wikipedia doesn't know what they may be, and they know everything!

Only thing I can think of is "to the power of", or an exponent. In the first equation, "2(3+5)" would be the exponent.

Maybe the Selectric typewriter they use to prepare the GRE doesn't support Superscript...? [Wink]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Actually, Wikipedia has the double prime symbol here. Thing is, it doesn't seem to make sense in Manji's context, so either there is context missing or as The Rabbit pointed out, some rendering error.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of offtopic, but why use a url shortener? You're already shortening the visible url by setting the link text to "double prime". What's the point of hiding the actual url?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see two possibilities.

1) misreading, as discussed above.

2) The GRE made it up. They have questions where they first define some new operator, then ask you to apply that operator in a different situation. I think this second is most likely. If so, the only definition that mattered was the one the GRE gave.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
Kind of offtopic, but why use a url shortener? You're already shortening the visible url by setting the link text to "double prime". What's the point of hiding the actual url?

This forum doesn't render URLs with parentheses in them properly, which is the case with quite a few Wikipedia articles.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

ricree101: Hatrack doesn't like brackets
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with fugu. I'm a GRE prep instructor, so I have to say that the questions as posted are incomplete. The GRE doesn't use the prime notation, so without more information, the symbol is undefined and unsolvable.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with fugu13. They're using symbols. I dealt with that on the GMAT.

http://gmatgremath.blogspot.com/search/label/symbols

They would be defined in the GRE questions.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a question in there somewhere?

I'm particularly puzzled by the "answers" to the second problem.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Glenn: while the example is a bit confused due to the use of the (elsewhere defined) operator, in a comparison problem, the answerer will give an answer indicating the larger column, that the columns are equal in value, or that there is insufficient information to decide.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.