FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Theology question

Author Topic: Theology question
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
There is an idea in theology that runs roughly like so: God is maintaining the laws of physics and indeed the entire universe by a continuous effort of will, and thus the consistency of physical law is in fact a form of miracle. Unfortunately I can't remember what this belief is called, and my google-fu is not strong enough to formulate a helpful search term. Does anyone remember the name?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I am aware of the belief; I don't really know a name for it.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
ditto.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never actually heard that one before. Sorry.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it need a name other than "Miracle of Creation?"
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Were I to name it, that's certainly not the name I would choose. But regardless, it needs a name so he can find it on teh internets! The better to belittle it, one supposes.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
It is a lot harder to belittle when you constantly have to referr to it as "that thing where everything is a miracle because without god's constant good will we would all instantly turn into boogers and explode."
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it has a name. I heard similar ideas expressed in many different religions, so if it has one name, it probably has many different names, but I've never heard any name for it at all.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure there is a single name for it. Various theologies have God sustaining the universe in various ways. Will, love, withdrawal.

Do you need a specific name for a specific purpose, or would something like "continuous creation" do?

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Occasionalism.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

Well, occasionalism corresponds to the first part of the idea, that God is maintaining everything by constant divine action.

The "miracle" part was not a part of the occasionalist view when it first appeared.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Foust:
something like "continuous creation" do?

There's a better name.
Destineer
Member # 821

Yeah, I think the word "occasion" had different connotations when the term was coined. It's not a very helpful name in present-day English.
rivka
Member # 4859

I was actually comparing it to Raymond's (facetious) suggestion, but yeah.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't intending to be facetious, for the record.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That's a shame. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I'm confused. My suggestion is lame/boring/I-should-have-been-able-to-come-up-with-something-better, or my suggestion appears to be malicious?
rivka
Member # 4859

"Malicious" is rather a strong word.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Well, substitute a less strong word. In any case, I meant nothing by the comment other than "Miracle of Creation seems like a workable name for the belief you're talking about" and apart from it not being a particularly accurate name, I'm not sure why you're taking objection to it.
rivka
Member # 4859

Ok. I withdraw my objection to your implication, which I doubly misread.

Still think it's a fairly useless name, though. [Wink]

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Was your implication more complicated than "I seemed like I was making fun of religion?" I'm just curious if there was any actual lesson I should be learning here, or if my comment would have been completely innocuous if I was known on these boards as a theist.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
Was your implication more complicated than "I seemed like I was making fun of religion?"

Not really. Except that I don't generally expect making fun from you -- you're usually fairly courteous. And while it's totally unfair, the fact is that people tend to react more to someone they perceive as being uncharacteristically rude than some being characteristically so. So really, it was a compliment! [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
or if my comment would have been completely innocuous if I was known on these boards as a theist.

That is a fair question. To which I do not have an answer.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Occasionalism is the word I was looking for! Thank you, Destineer.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

Can I ask what prompted the question?
King of Men
Member # 6684

I was in a discussion on another forum and ran into someone who apparently believed this.
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, occasionalism as I'm familiar with it is a little different - X does not cause Y on its own, rather it requires Z to do the actual causation. The third party actually responsible for all causation tends to be God.

It has a long and storied history in western phil - do you plan on beating up on what will probably be the only occasionalist you'll ever meet in your life?

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Ah, occasionalism as I'm familiar with it is a little different - X does not cause Y on its own, rather it requires Z to do the actual causation. The third party actually responsible for all causation tends to be God.

Wikipedia backs this up. This is really quite different than the belief I thought was being asked about.
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:

It has a long and storied history in western phil - do you plan on beating up on what will probably be the only occasionalist you'll ever meet in your life?

No, he doesn't appear to listen to what anyone says, so it's not a very interesting discussion; but if you want to expound, I'd be interested anyway. [Smile]
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
quote:

No, he doesn't appear to listen to what anyone says, so it's not a very interesting discussion; but if you want to expound, I'd be interested anyway. [Smile]
ya, me too!
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
Science was started by the church to explain the mysteries of God but politics got in the way.

God is truth, science is truth. Science only describes God. Theocracies, like sharia and flat earth catholics have other intentions.....political ones.

Politics gets in the way....

What if it was decided "scientifically" that some humans were more advanced than others? What happens when you're told your child has an "insane" gene? Do you "trust God"?

Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by malanthrop:
Science was started by the church to explain the mysteries of God but politics got in the way.

God is truth, science is truth. Science only describes God. Theocracies, like sharia and flat earth catholics have other intentions.....political ones.

Politics gets in the way....

What if it was decided "scientifically" that some humans were more advanced than others?

Are you addressing someone in particular? Or just making a proclamation?
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
No one in particular...I won't mention any statistics...statistical science is racist.....political.
Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention usually used in a skewed fashion to "prove" an agenda/facts that are pre-determined.

Not that I expected you to say that. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
KoM, it sounds similar to the Clockwork Universe Theory, where God created the physical laws, so therefore they are in fact supernatural in origin, despite being constant and observable.

Newton had some ideas like that, but with his concept of god occasionally "winding" the watch back up.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Not to mention usually used in a skewed fashion to "prove" an agenda/facts that are pre-determined.

Lots of scientific studies are used that way. Especially once you go past just the raw data of the study and get into explaining why the data is that way.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
KoM, it sounds similar to the Clockwork Universe Theory, where God created the physical laws, so therefore they are in fact supernatural in origin, despite being constant and observable.

Newton had some ideas like that, but with his concept of god occasionally "winding" the watch back up.

My beliefs are definitely close to that. Indeed, plenty of Jewish prayer thanks God for natural phenomena. There is a blessing we say after using the bathroom where we thank God for creating the body's complicated digestive system.
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a name for the belief that God abides by the laws of physics and not the other way around?
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Mormons subscribe to a belief system close to that.

edit - not sure if there is an actual name for it though.

[ September 07, 2010, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hinduism and Vedic thought actually delve quite into this, with the divine force being a "dreamer" but not a "participant in the dream" -- essentially the universal constant or driving force. I'm not sure what terminology they use, but I'd bet that a vedic scholar could put a name to it.

I think that I might have read a bit of it in the Bhagavad Gita?.?.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Obviously it is an idea with many variants, but I think it's distinct from the clockwork universe. As I understand it, in a pure clockwork universe the god acts only at the start, to create the laws; it doesn't tinker with them later on. In such a universe, you might say that the existence of a god matters only for the first few milliseconds, or so; you wouldn't be able to tell if the god had then withdrawn its attention to other projects. There is also a variant where there might be an occasional bit of interference for miracles. But occasionalism, if I understand correctly, is the idea that the existence of the god is continuously necessary; to continue the clockwork analogy, the clockmaker not only has to build the clock, he also has to keep hanging onto one of the springs, or the clock will stop. (In a human, of course, we would consider this rather dodgy clock-building; perhaps that's why this theory is not very popular.) In such a universe, the absence of the god after the initial creation would be noticeable as physical law broke down and people's biochemistries stopped operating; whether it would happen instantly or slowly is a matter of taste.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
I think Mormons subscribe to a belief system close to that.

edit - not sure if there is an actual name for it though.

Fairly close, I guess. Here's how I see it (in no way is this official church doctrine, just afr's clumsy interpretation).

Basically, the universe functions in certain ways. God abides perfectly by how the universe functions, and that is partly why He is God. God makes laws based on how the universe functions, so that we know good from bad, and so we know how to abide by the universal rules the same way He does. We break God's laws once we know them, and He must apply justice. Justice has to be satisfied. If He lets us off the hook without satisfying justice, he is no longer God.

Here's an LDS scripture to that effect:

Alma 42:22
But there is a law given, and a punishment affixed, and a repentance granted; which repentance, mercy claimeth; otherwise, justice claimeth the creature and executeth the law, and the law inflicteth the punishment; if not so, the works of justice would be destroyed, and God would cease to be God.

There's lots more to it than that, of course. For instance, this is where Christ comes in, by making repentance and mercy possible without destroying justice. The whole chapter is central to LDS theology and is actually quite interesting if you care to read it:

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/alma/42/13,22-23,25#13

Edit: As to whether the universe would fall apart if God ceased to be God, I couldn't say from an LDS perspective. We would certainly cease to have any hope. I believe God is a governing force in the universe, and without Him a certain degree of order would be lost--as in, there would be no purpose in things anymore.

[ September 08, 2010, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: advice for robots ]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.