FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stunning live performances

Author Topic: Stunning live performances
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this could go in the Youtube thread, but I thought it deserved it's own thread. There are also eight days of threads on the front page. It's a little sad.

I'm a huge fan of live performances that are far superior in quality and passion than the studio versions. My current obsession is The Frames Fitzcarraldo.

This song is one I can listen to over and over again. But not the studio version. It has to be live.

Other examples:

Harry Chapin, Cat's Cradle, although every live performance of his is miles above any studio performance he's done.

Explisions in the Sky, the Only Moment We Were Alone. There studio stuff is great, but they are...more fluid? more together I think in the live videos I've seen.

Nickel Creek, the Fox. I've seen this band three times, and their live performances feed off of the audience. There studio albums are good, but a little cut and dried.

Flaming Lips, Do You Realize?. It also helps that their live performance is one of the most amazing things I've ever been a part of.

How about you guys? Any more?

And full disclosure, some of these may be skewed by me seeing them in show (Nickel Creek, Flaming Lips) or me having a nostalgic attachment to certain live performance CDs (Harry Chapin Greatest Stories Live)

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Janelle Monae's Letterman Performance This is one of my favorite Letterman performances in quite some time, almost as great as another one on this list

Death From Above 1979 on Conan Not much to say about this other than that they are probably one of the few punk bands that successfully got the energy of their live show translated onto television.

Beastie Boys On Letterman Coming out of the subway are you kidding me?

ATCQ Tribute Performance at VH1 Hip Hop Honors (Common/Pharrell/Lupe Fiasco/Busta Rhymes) Even with Lupe stumbling over his rhymes, this performance is great if only for Busta's stunning delivery. (If you don't know the words to the song, you're gonna have a hard time understanding what he's saying).

DJ Shadow You Can't Go Home/Midnight in a Perfect World DJ Shadow is incredible live.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
The Decemerists, The Wanting Comes in Waves when they performed on Colbert, hands down better than the album version. Plus it adds to my theory that women who can sing are sexy as all get out and should be worshipped.

The White Stripes covering Dolly Parton's Jolene admittedly odd, seeing as Jack White is singing a Dolly Parton song but the original has no emotion in it while Jack White really really doesn not want Jolene to take his man.

Citizen Cope acoustic Salvation the album version is top notch, but this live performance is full of emotion and is extremely close to when I saw him live. I love this song.

[ September 09, 2010, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: AchillesHeel ]

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw The Decemberists' performance on Colbert, and immediately bought the song. I was a little sad the album version didn't quite have the energy of this performance.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I was about to say "OMG I love Explosions In The Sky!"

but then I looked at the rest of the bands in this thread and I love 80% of them.

You guys have some awesome music taste.

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Harvey Danger - Little Round Mirrors

Guns 'n' Roses - 14 Years

Mark Knopfler & Eric Clapton - Sultans of Swing

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd never seen that Harvey Danger clip Tom, man that was gorgeous.

Primus - Groundhog Day

The Black Crowes - My Morning Song

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Tori Amos - Precious Things
Tori Amos - Winter

In 1991, there was simply no one on Earth more extraordinary than Tori Amos. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I recall reading once that at a man at one of her concerts yelled at Tori Amos, "Show us your boobs!" She apparently turned to him, and politely said, "This song is for you." Then proceeded to play, Me and a Gun.

If that story isn't true, it's still an awe inspiring way to respond to that.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Tori Amos, and Little Earthquakes is a nearly flawless album. But it takes a supreme effort of will for me not to skip Me and a Gun. I'm sure that's how she intended it, but that song seems to last an hour, and it's amazingly hard to listen to.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
I love Tori Amos, and Little Earthquakes is a nearly flawless album. But it takes a supreme effort of will for me not to skip Me and a Gun. I'm sure that's how she intended it, but that song seems to last an hour, and it's amazingly hard to listen to.

Musically I'm not a fan of the song, but it takes a ton of guts to have an experience like that, and to put it out there for other people to listen to.
Speed
Member # 5162

By the way, I'm loving this thread. Here are a few things that came to mind when I thought of amazing YouTube performances:

Kaki King at the TED conference

Tabla Beat Science live

Van Cliburn playing Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto 1 in Russia:
Movement 1, pt. 1
Movement 1, pt. 2
Movement 2
Movement 3

Also, if I can venture outside the YouTube box, here's a short Gogol Bordello concert on the NPR website. You're guaranteed to burn off 500 calories just watching it.

[ September 13, 2010, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Here's another one: Glanfaidh Me by Kila, a live performance of a song from perhaps the best Celtic album I've heard in the last decade.

(Not that I've heard a mountain of Celtic music, but still... wow.)

And speaking of Irish music and (from the original post) The Frames, no thread about amazing live performances could be without this one. I'm sure most of you have already seen it, but if you're into The Swell Season and/or Freaks and Geeks, it's one of the best things ever.

[ September 14, 2010, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed -

Love the Kaki King performance. I think if I watched it a dozen times I still couldn't come close to figuring out how that sound is produced. She's amazing.

ETA: And I loved Gogol Bordello. Never heard of them before, but I'll be checking them out further. If you have any recommendations of songs or albums to check out, please share them.

[ September 14, 2010, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Okay, one more, just for the sake of a semantic game. There's nothing good about this, but fits the topic as it's a live performance, and it's definitely stunning. One of the most morbidly fascinating musical train-wrecks ever broadcast on network TV:

Ke$ha on SNL.

Speed
Member # 5162

Lyrhawn: I've got the last 3 studio albums from Gogol Bordello. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, but I started with Gypsy Punks and it's still the one I like best. I'd love to see them live--everyone I've ever talked to that's been to a show says that they blow the roof off, and it's not hard to see how, judging by the tiny desk concert.

Glad you like Kaki King, too. I'm a huge fan. Haven't seen her live either, but I love the whole Michael Manring-meets-indie rock vibe she gets in her albums.

The White Whale
Member # 6594

Speed, ooooh, good taste.

Kila is an awesome band. They build their songs with this incredible crescendo to a crazy climax, and then stretch that climax until you are forced to quit out of exhaustion.

And I haven't seen that Jasen Segal video before. Hilarious. I laughed out loud. Luckily, most people aren't in the lab yet, so it went unnoticed. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

Here's another:

Sia, Breathe Me

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn, I'll second Gypsy Punks, it's a great album to give you an idea of Gogol Bordello and has some of my favorite tracks from them. They DO put on an absolutely amazing live performance, energy like you couldn't believe, one of my favorite shows from the last few years (this list also includes Radiohead and Avett Brothers).

Also, the lead singer, Eugene Hutz, was the main character, Alex, in Everything is Illuminated! (movie version of course).

[ September 14, 2010, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
... one of my favorite shows from the last few years (this list also includes Radiohead...

Have you seen this? Some fans recorded HD video of Radiohead live in Prague, and Radiohead gave them the soundboard recordings to they could mix the two. It's an awesome (and free) download. The link also brings you to YouTube vids of the show.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Ray LaMontagne Can I Stay? which has the most charming and sensual lyrics.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
... one of my favorite shows from the last few years (this list also includes Radiohead...

Have you seen this? Some fans recorded HD video of Radiohead live in Prague, and Radiohead gave them the soundboard recordings to they could mix the two. It's an awesome (and free) download. The link also brings you to YouTube vids of the show.
Thanks for linking that! I need at least four renditions of every single Radiohead song.
Strider
Member # 1807

That's so awesome White Whale! That's a very similar set list from when I saw them.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
U2-I Still Haven't Found what I'm Looking For-with a Harlem choir.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

This one isn't a video, but it's stunning and it's live. It's from a short episode of Radiolab.
Quantum Cello

Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
Counting Crows on Howard Stern - Round Here

Also nice to see Gogol Bordello mentioned, almost no one knows who they are and they're awesome. [Smile]

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

I play Gogol Bordello at work, interestingly enough the Mexican construction workers love it, especially Start Wearing Purple. If you havent seen Wristcutters: A Love Story, one of the main characters is based on Eugene Hutz and Through the Roof is essentially half of the movies soundtrack.
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Gogol Bordell at the BBK Live in Bilbao this year; a truly awesome gig. It was fairly early in the evening, but the crowd was jumping like crazy things.

My personal favourite live shows (in no particular order):

Pink Floyd Knebworth 1990, sadly I had to listen to it on the radio, but great none the less.

Fatboy Slim vs Armand Van Helden, Brixton Academy 1997? - both DJs in a boxing ring in the middle of the auditorium. Cool as.

Hiram Bullock, San Sebastian Jazz Fest, 2002 - he came on as support for BB King, who was delayed and so he played an hour extra, including a crowd stroll around - no mean feat in the packed Trinity Plaza.

The James Taylor Quartet, Victoria Park - eye opening and followed by Macio Parker and then Jamaioquai. A nice afternoon in the sun [Wink]

That's all for now - nostalgia has got the better of me [Wink]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
Green Day and Aerosmith are both fantastic live. I've seen a lot of bands, but these two take the cake.

I'd love to see Elton John and David Bowie. Unfortunately, most people believe that Bowie will never tour again.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Wierd Al Yankovic doesnt get the credit he deserves, I saw him only a couple of years ago and he performed for over two hours with no opening band and no intermission. Timed costume changes all throughout, never missed a beat and he even gyrated his crotch in the face of woman while wearing a devil red zoot suit and singing a song of disparaging and insulting pick-up lines. But hes just the class clown of decades enduring performers, atleast by most accounts.

I pray to a dear and fluffy lord for the chance to see Flogging Molly perform live, but in a small setting. Seeing them at a music festival was a bit like watching a drive-in movie from the concession stand. Amanda Palmer is also on my wish upon a star list of shows that escape me thus far.

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

Armand Van Helden must've been amazing live.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
Armand Van Helden must've been amazing live.

most excellent - a top DJ and as I recall blew Fatboy Slim away.
Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJZYG5qwHHI&list=QL

skip to three minutes in, and then begin to watch a 90's era lightshow which probably could have fed africa for a year.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Samp: You probably know this, and like me are just too lazy but you can actually link to a specific time in a youtube video by adding, "#t=XmYs"

X being the minute and Y being the seconds. So for your video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJZYG5qwHHI&list=QL#t=3m0s

Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to necro the thread but this was so awesome I couldn't help but share it- Ronald Jenkees recording "Stay Crunchy" for the first time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg8LfoyDFUM

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2rtqVma_Ww&feature=player_embedded
tenniscoats. great performance

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5KRVtjgMkM

I always love this rendition of "Helpless" by k.d. lang.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get enough of this performance of Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis by Tom Waits. I've been watching it every day since I came upon it a couple weeks ago.

What the hell, here's another awesome Tom Waits video: The Piano Has Been Drinking on Fernwood Tonight.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Rush always puts on a stunning live show. The best thing about it is that every time you talk about it, Final Fantasy III gets pushed a little farther down the front page. [Smile]
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Eric Clapton Unplugged is one of the greatest live albums ever.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
This is just freaking amazing. Got to watch the whole thing.

Acoustic Masterclass with Joe Bonamassa

Then there is this all time classic. Eric Johnson on Austin City Limits.

Cliffs of Dover

[ August 31, 2013, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Wingracer ]

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't a performance but it's about a performance and it's funny as hell:

Chris Squire of Yes - Meeting Jimi Hendrix

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Halleujah

I loved this version so much that I ended up looking them up, and downloading their whole album.

I had not heard of them, or of the guy who won the international version of Idol before this. His names is Kurt Nielson, and while I hate (with a passion) most of these singing shows, he has a really unique voice.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvdQP9LREQY
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XWRgh1eIdfg

Red hot chili peppers
Live at slane castle, Ireland
80,000 people
Band at their apex
Frusciante is destroys everything

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.