FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Zero Tolerance for Misinformation (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Zero Tolerance for Misinformation
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by malanthrop:
quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I'm not sure he wants to talk about anything else.

Maybe not, but it helps change the perspective that somebody is singing a one note tune.
Yes, I'm getting bored too. I don't like singing to the choir, that's why I come here and have never once posted on a right wing site.

Maybe I should visit right wing sites. Not to discuss politics, but fishing, hunting, God, and other right wing things.

I'm envious of most of you. Apathy, ignorance, denial or acceptance of what is happening to this nation, might be a better way to live.

Not really.

First off, I don't hunt, but I fish, as well as hike, bike, ride horses and dirtbikes. On the very, very rare occasions where you actually tried to participate in this community rather than lecture to it with asinine rhetoric, no one has jumped on you at all.

One of the problems most of us have with you isn't your beliefs, but the disparaging way you talk to others. It's a consistent hallmark of your posting style, mal, and it seems to be one that you are proud of for some god-awful reason. You actually brag about how often you do it, which means either you think it makes you sound smarter (it doesn't) or you don't realize that you come off more ignorant than you probably are IRL (it does).

Second, you can keep you version of God. I prefer the one I know, from actually reading the Bible rather than skimming the cliff notes version of it looking for sound bites. You can't clam God, mal....I'm pretty sure he doesn't like to claim people who refuse to live by his rules.

I disagree with people all of the time, here and IRL, but we respect the fact that we have our own beliefs. Some of my best friends have political views similar to some of the things that you claim to believe, and we get along fine 99% of the time.

We do this by realizing that everyone has their own personal beliefs, and their own experiences, so it is possible for each of us to be intelligent people who have carefully considered each others viewpoint and come to a different conclusion. Neither of us are stupid, or blind, or arrogant. We aren't commies, or fascists, and we don't hate American.

We just disagree.

I am an American veteran of the US Army who loves shooting guns, fishing, dirt bikes, and the outdoors, and I can't stand you or your posting style, mal. I am well educated, reasonably well informed about some of the major political issues of our time, and I give a lot of thought to my own beliefs and views.

And IMO you should have been banned a year ago for being a hateful, spiteful person who spends his time trolling on what used to be a civil, intelligent place on the web. Not because you disagree with me....some of the people I like best here don't agree with me....but because your idea of civil discourse lowered the IQ of this board by 40 points, and chased off some of my favorite people.

All you know how to do is piss in peoples coffee, so don't let the door hit you on the way out. I reject your definition of God, or American, and ignore your version of the world we live in.

Thank God I don't have to live there.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is only two pages long. Please, go back and start from the beginning. Did anyone actually respond to or address the content of the letter? Did anyone actually make an argument about the content of the post? My mistake is getting sidetracked by attacks that have nothing to do with the topic. My mistake is responding to them. When I do, I'm accused of rambling, trolling and being spiteful. Please....read this very post from the beginning.

To bring it back online:
http://www.ctnow.com/health/hc-health-insurance-rate-hike-0914-20100914,0,5611833.story

Will this be "tolerated" or will the administration force them out of business? Can all these insurance companies be wrong?

[ September 16, 2010, 05:49 AM: Message edited by: malanthrop ]

Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My mistake is getting sidetracked by attacks that have nothing to do with the topic.
No, your mistake is getting sidetracked every time your rhetoric and style are criticized. I don't really care about the OP. I do care about seeing if you'll finally speak of your posting style. If not, I'll just continue to ignore you and your posts.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Not really.

First off, I don't hunt, but I fish, as well as hike, bike, ride horses and dirtbikes. On the very, very rare occasions where you actually tried to participate in this community rather than lecture to it with asinine rhetoric, no one has jumped on you at all.

One of the problems most of us have with you isn't your beliefs, but the disparaging way you talk to others. It's a consistent hallmark of your posting style, mal, and it seems to be one that you are proud of for some god-awful reason. You actually brag about how often you do it, which means either you think it makes you sound smarter (it doesn't) or you don't realize that you come off more ignorant than you probably are IRL (it does).

Second, you can keep you version of God. I prefer the one I know, from actually reading the Bible rather than skimming the cliff notes version of it looking for sound bites. You can't clam God, mal....I'm pretty sure he doesn't like to claim people who refuse to live by his rules.

I disagree with people all of the time, here and IRL, but we respect the fact that we have our own beliefs. Some of my best friends have political views similar to some of the things that you claim to believe, and we get along fine 99% of the time.

We do this by realizing that everyone has their own personal beliefs, and their own experiences, so it is possible for each of us to be intelligent people who have carefully considered each others viewpoint and come to a different conclusion. Neither of us are stupid, or blind, or arrogant. We aren't commies, or fascists, and we don't hate American.

We just disagree.

I am an American veteran of the US Army who loves shooting guns, fishing, dirt bikes, and the outdoors, and I can't stand you or your posting style, mal. I am well educated, reasonably well informed about some of the major political issues of our time, and I give a lot of thought to my own beliefs and views.

And IMO you should have been banned a year ago for being a hateful, spiteful person who spends his time trolling on what used to be a civil, intelligent place on the web. Not because you disagree with me....some of the people I like best here don't agree with me....but because your idea of civil discourse lowered the IQ of this board by 40 points, and chased off some of my favorite people.

All you know how to do is piss in peoples coffee, so don't let the door hit you on the way out. I reject your definition of God, or American, and ignore your version of the world we live in.

Quoted for awesome. I'd like to copy this post into every thread and make it the response to every post mal makes. I want to put it in a gilded frame on the top of Hatrack with a Blingee styled marquee reading "To malanthrop with love". Heck, I love this post so much I'd marry it if I could.

I miss quidscribis, Equiae Legit, mackillian, Claudia Therese, KarlEd and so many others whose names I've forgotten. I miss the word jatraquero and what it used to mean. This used to be one of the best places on the web where people disagreed but kept things civil and intelligent and malathrop has done more by himself to drag that down by sheer quantity of terrible posts than all the other controversial posters here combined (Clive Candy is probably worse but he doesn't post as much). I'd gladly trade malanthrop for two each of Lisa and KOM, at least they appear to be real people and not political regurgitation machines attached to keyboards.

[ September 16, 2010, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Misha McBride ]

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Did anyone actually respond to or address the content of the letter?
The irony burns like the daystar!

quote:
Can all these insurance companies be wrong?
No, not the insurance companies!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
quote:
My mistake is getting sidetracked by attacks that have nothing to do with the topic.
No, your mistake is getting sidetracked every time your rhetoric and style are criticized. I don't really care about the OP. I do care about seeing if you'll finally speak of your posting style. If not, I'll just continue to ignore you and your posts.
You make obvious what is most important to you and others in this forum,....rhetoric and style. You attack my rhetoric and style while ignoring the content. You vote for a president that has nothing to offer but rhetoric and style.

Have you purchased a Slap-Chop lately...I know...bad style comment.

Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

quote:
Originally posted by Misha McBride:
quote:
Not really.

We just disagree.

Quoted for awesome. I'd like to copy this post into every thread and make it the response to every post mal makes. I want to put it in a gilded frame on the top of Hatrack with a Blingee styled marquee reading "To malanthrop with love". Heck, I love this post so much I'd marry it if I could.

I miss quidscribis, Equiae Legit, mackillian, Claudia Therese, KarlEd and so many others whose names I've forgotten. I miss the word jatraquero and what it used to mean. This used to be one of the best places on the web where people disagreed but kept things civil and intelligent and malathrop has done more by himself to drag that down by sheer quantity of terrible posts than all the other controversial posters here combined (Clive Candy is probably worse but he doesn't post as much). I'd gladly trade malanthrop for two each of Lisa and KOM, at least they appear to be real people and not political regurgitation machines attached to keyboards.

Wow, very nice. If I were as you said, I would've been banned long ago. What's truly ironic is, you're commenting on MY post. I don't disrupt Hatrack's posts. I don't get in the middle of your circle jerks and I don't insert off topic comments into other posts here. Usually, I start a topic and get attacked by people who ignore the meaning of the thread.

Is it my fault the conversation breaks down when my comments are simply dismissed because they came from me. You're "above" logical arguments with the likes of me?

It sorta parallels Nancy Pelosi calling the Tea Party "Astroturf". You and her, will find out...

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Is there a more fitting quote for the Tea Party? I think this country is in the "fighting" stage right now. Fortunately, we have elections, so the fight won't be bloody.

malanthrop
Member # 11992

You want me to go away....stop responding. I thought about giving up but I realized, I don't have a mission here. I'm not trying to convert anyone here and Hatrack enriches my life. This forum allows me to self evaluate....even if I disagree with most of you. Most people don't spend time logically defending their beliefs against the odds I'm facing here. I highly recommend to the liberals here, go to a conservative leaning forum and try to defend your positions. It'll be good for you.

Of course, you could "ignore me"....

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I highly recommend to the liberals here, go to a conservative leaning forum and try to defend your positions. It'll be good for you.

As a Canadian Liberal atheist, I thought that was what I was doing here. [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't disrupt Hatrack's posts
We both wish this was true!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You want me to go away....stop responding. I thought about giving up but I realized, I don't have a mission here. I'm not trying to convert anyone here and Hatrack enriches my life. This forum allows me to self evaluate....even if I disagree with most of you. Most people don't spend time logically defending their beliefs against the odds I'm facing here. I highly recommend to the liberals here, go to a conservative leaning forum and try to defend your positions. It'll be good for you.

Of course, you could "ignore me"....

mal, once again....YOU don't get to decide what is best for ME, or what I do.

Ignoring you is what I usually do. I have posted in probably fewer than half the threads you even comment in, and most specifically in the threads you start. You haven't ruined this site......there has always been and ebb and flow to this forum, and we have been in an ebb for a while now.

But you, and your clones, DO affect the tone and tenor of a lot of conversations. People are less likely to have a picnic if you are likely to show up, they are less likely to reveal personal details about their lives or their viewpoints because people like you comment here. I don't blame them, myself....who WANTS a troll to know where you live, or where you work?

But letting you go all of the time without calling you on it at least once in a while leads other, new people, to believe that this is how discussions should be held here. That THIS is what Hatrack is all about.

And that isn't a mistake I am willing to make. I don't claim to be anyone who can make a decision about what Hatrack is or isn't, over all, but I know what it is and has been to me and my friends I met here.

It's pretty much the opposite of you, as you have posted here so far. I don't care if you leave, because as far as I am concerned you were never really here in any substantial way at all. It's got nothing to do with your politics, or your religion, or anything you SEEM to think it does. It has to do with the type of person you portray yourself as being.

Most of your assumptions about me are wrong, mal, I just never bothered to tell you because I found them really, really funny. So did most of the people I know here.

By your own standards, I should agree with you most of the time. God knows you seem to constantly be trying to speak for half the groups I belong to....I am a veteran, with a long family history of service in the armed forces. I grew up in MI, and am familiar with the outdoors, and love being in them. I shoot guns as often as I can. I am in the medical field. My father grew up with nothing, financially, and is a self made man. I clawed my way up the ladder in the same company he did, only to get screwed....and then I used that as motivation to start a new, better paying career helping others.

I have never been on welfare, Medicare, food stamps, or accepted any charity (other than from my family when I was younger).

I usually vote moderate, and have voted for Republicans as often as I have for Democrats.

But don't let actual FACTS get in your way this time. I'd hate to break a tradition of yours. [Wink]

I remember one of the few times you talked about something rather than lecture about it. I believe it was about you taking less pay but doing something you like better, or something like that. I posted in that thread, and we had a decent conversation about it, IIRC. I don't know what it turned into after than, but it was nice hearing about what you believe without you standing on a soapbox, yelling at everyone who passes by.

I just get tired of you labeling people without actually getting to know them, and of straw-man arguments. Maybe you can do better, but if so how would I know? It's pretty much all you have shown here since you arrived.

Wow, who would have guessed....insurance companies trying to use public panic to raise rates. They can't even agree on what the actual cost will be, the "estimates" range from 0-20% increases in costs.

Talk about a load of crap.

[ September 17, 2010, 05:47 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Wow, who would have guessed....insurance companies trying to use public panic to raise rates. They can't even agree on what the actual cost will be, the "estimates" range from 0-20% increases in costs.

"This will kill zero to one hundred percent of the bacterias." — Marty Chang
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.