FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Feeling the Pulse of Hatrack

Author Topic: Feeling the Pulse of Hatrack
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
I just have a comment. . . .

It seemed to me that Hatrack had always been home to three types of people: the intelligensia who were generally interested in discussion, the people who were interested in advice or research or OSC (often flow-overs from the Writers Workshop), and people who'd read about Locke and Demosthenes and decided to subject the rest of us to their (often questionable) brilliance.

The third type always left me a little unsettled, and I had to actively withdraw from many inflammatory threads that went "off the rails" (as I've noticed, so did many others). But this group of people have either dwindled considerably, or people's attitudes might be changing. I still stay away from the religion threads, but many of the other threads are much more mellow as well.

Is the mood a heckuva lot better lately? Or am I just having a good day?
[The Wave]

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
There's always the Fourth Estate: the Lurkers, who secretly run the joint.

Whoops, I don't think I was supposed to mention that.

(The mood is nice these days, this is true, if perhaps a bit quiet.)

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean, ever since JanitorBlade laid down a little law shortly after appointment everything has been very happy. I think we may actually be rid of the true CliveCandy, the trolling is at an absolute minimal.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I think it's actually charming that there are people here who think of Clive as a particularly bad troll.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
There's always the Fourth Estate: the Lurkers, who secretly run the joint.

Whoops, I don't think I was supposed to mention that.

Secret Masters of Hatrack. SMOHs.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
I know what you mean, ever since JanitorBlade laid down a little law shortly after appointment everything has been very happy. I think we may actually be rid of the true CliveCandy, the trolling is at an absolute minimal.

Actually, no. He still posts here as Sa'eed. But he seems to have learned some restraint.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been posting here that long, but I have lurked for years.

Overall it's a nice place, except for a dozen or so people I like to think of as THE GAUNTLET OF NUDNIKS. This group corresponds to Herblay's 3rd type. They derail threads, drag most discussions down, personalize everything, and in general make the place less pleasant. And I imagine that most of them are convinced that people are reading their comments with rapt admiration for their cleverness.

They're easy enough to avoid though. I take most of my politics elsewhere, and try to word comments on religious topics very carefully.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
This place is doing good right now in large part because the people who need it have had their leashes tightened and shortened appropriately. It prevents a small handful of problem posters from being free to continually devolve any subject they decide to involve themselves into acrimoniously.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Just wait for the next bit of controversy to come around.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Flying Fish:
a dozen or so people I like to think of as THE GAUNTLET OF NUDNIKS.

I'm still giggling hysterically and picturing the corresponding Monty Python sketch.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, there is no secret society of lurkers running Hatrack!

I mean, that's ridiculous. Inconcievable. I just think ... umm ... "move along, everyone"

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SoaPiNuReYe:
Just wait for the next bit of controversy to come around.

There's always controversy. In the most recent case, things were handled differently. I can be optimistic and expect the trend to continue.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Who are these 'lurkers' you speak of?

(*actively lurking*)

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno....
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
It prevents a small handful of problem posters from being free to continually devolve any subject they decide to involve themselves into acrimoniously.

Interesting how Hatrack acts as a microcosm of the nation as a whole.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
It prevents a small handful of problem posters from being free to continually devolve any subject they decide to involve themselves into acrimoniously.

Interesting how Hatrack acts as a microcosm of the nation as a whole.
None of us think the problem is us. That's a good description of the nation. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

Actually, no. He still posts here as Sa'eed. But he seems to have learned some restraint.
The background is that Lisa threatened me with revealing my personal information.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sa'eed:
quote:
quote:

The background is that Lisa threatened me with revealing my personal information.
I certainly hope that's not the only reason you've been posting quite decently as of late.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I certainly hope that's not the only reason you've been posting quite decently as of late.
School started.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wow, I'm glad I missed that.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

School started.
God forbid you had actually gotten more mature, or realized that your style of communication is counter-productive.....
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
The lurkers shall inherit the forum?
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Whatever works, I'd think.

Anyway, he posted a link to his blog here on Hatrack. I can't help it that his blog gave person information about him. I was actually kind of shocked that JB deleted what I posted, when none of it was stuff that he hadn't posted a link to himself.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed the circumstances of that, but I do know my opinion on posting someone's personal info.

If someone has posted personal info for obvious distribution -- a phone number with a clear "contact me" message for example -- then spread it around in that context all you like.

If someone has posted personal info as part of their website, more or less as part of their resume or "about me" or whatever, then I would be OK linking to their site but I would not repost the info myself.

If someone's personal info is pulled from public records, even though that information is freely available to anyone who goes to look, I would not post it publicly without permission.

An example: the outing of the people supporting Prop 8 in California was wrong, in my opinion, even though I flatly opposed the amendment. I would have no problem exposing the involvement of corporations or other organizations, and I would have no problem with using that info to produce aggregate info (this percentage of Mormons, this number of people in Sausalito, etc), but posting names and addresses, even though it would be legal to do so, was, to me, unethical in the extreme.

Posting someone's info is a call to arms. There is absolutely no reason to do so unless you are hinting (or openly stating) that people should use that info to confront the individual in question.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
I missed the circumstances of that, but I do know my opinion on posting someone's personal info.

If someone has posted personal info for obvious distribution -- a phone number with a clear "contact me" message for example -- then spread it around in that context all you like.

If someone has posted personal info as part of their website, more or less as part of their resume or "about me" or whatever, then I would be OK linking to their site but I would not repost the info myself.

If someone's personal info is pulled from public records, even though that information is freely available to anyone who goes to look, I would not post it publicly without permission.

An example: the outing of the people supporting Prop 8 in California was wrong, in my opinion, even though I flatly opposed the amendment. I would have no problem exposing the involvement of corporations or other organizations, and I would have no problem with using that info to produce aggregate info (this percentage of Mormons, this number of people in Sausalito, etc), but posting names and addresses, even though it would be legal to do so, was, to me, unethical in the extreme.

Posting someone's info is a call to arms. There is absolutely no reason to do so unless you are hinting (or openly stating) that people should use that info to confront the individual in question.

I agree.

My information isn't hidden... it's all over the place: on my blog, on my company's website, etc... I even use my real name on signature lines in forums (not this one, obviously). So, although my information is public, it does still bother me every time it's posted.

And this is despite the fact that I've had my personal information (including my mother's home address) posted on 4chan's "/x/" channel on more than one occasion.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, one other reason: to make the person feel vulnerable. Also unethical.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

If the threat of having his personal information posted here will keep him within certain boundaries, I have no regrets. All I posted, incidentally, was his first name. But there's an awful lot more out there. I find that people who behave abusively on online forums often do so because they feel invulnerable and invisible. Safe. Letting someone know that they aren't so invulnerable and invisible as that can do a world of good. Posting his first name was on the order of a "shot across the bow". Not intended to harm, but capable of serving as a warning.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Understood. But I've never been an "ends justify the means" kinda guy.
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

quote:
If the threat of having his personal information posted here will keep him within certain boundaries, I have no regrets. All I posted, incidentally, was his first name. But there's an awful lot more out there.

Your email contained a ridiculous and vague threat combined with some reasonable pleading, and now you're cackling over reigning me in with the ridiculous threat and failing to consider if it wasn't the other things you wrote that had an impact on me. In short, you're needling me after calling for a "truce." Yawn. [Roll Eyes]

No, I don't like my real first name getting branded about the place but if it makes you feel like you have power go ahead.

Sa'eed
Member # 12368

quote:
Originally posted by Herblay:

It seemed to me that Hatrack had always been home to three types of people: the intelligensia who were generally interested in discussion, the people who were interested in advice or research or OSC (often flow-overs from the Writers Workshop), and people who'd read about Locke and Demosthenes and decided to subject the rest of us to their (often questionable) brilliance.

It doesn't help that Card himself attempts to mimic his creations in this way.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Herblay:

It doesn't help that Card himself attempts to mimic his creations in this way.
I use to think that myself. Now I just believe that we don't have much in common with each other. Besides my love of his books.... which is enough, oddly enough.

I really enjoyed meeting Mr. Card and his wife the one time I got a chance to do so. He, along with GRRM and Juliet McKenna, were all very nice, very professional, and very friendly. More so than any of the other authors, to be honest.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that it is nice to read threads that aren't two different sides of two different extremes hacking it out.

I also think that threatening people, in almost any context, is wrong. However, it seems pretty stupid to post a link to private info if you want to keep it secret.

As for my disagreements with our favorite author... they're just disagreements. I disagree with alot of people without it causing me to hate them. Heck, I almost can't open my mouth on any subject of importance with my own parents without it turning into a tornado! Strangely enough, this is because I am truly fairly moderate. My mother is a pretty extreme democrat, and my father is growing more conservative by the day, so no matter what position I take up, it mortally offends one or the other of them. I can't imagine how they live with eachother....

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.