FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » R.I.P. Greg Giraldo

Author Topic: R.I.P. Greg Giraldo
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Greg Giraldo died today of a drug overdose. The two albums of his I own are consistently hilarious, and I can always count on him being the funniest part of any situation he's in. It's a bummer that he won't be around to make short sections of comedy central specials watchable anymore.

I'm off to listen to Good Day to Cross a River and feel a bit sad.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
to note: accidental drug overdose, not abuse, not a suicide.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Good point. Wasn't intending to make or imply any judgments about his personal life, as I know next to nothing about it. But as a comic he was top-notch, and I'll miss him.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I was so shocked when I saw this! I always found him to be hilarious. He's the only comic I've ever seen live.

He was so young. What the hell is up with so many middle aged and young people dying from accidental drug overdoses lately?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I always hoped he was exagerating the drug jokes.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
This is very similar to Mitch Hedberg's death.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
What the hell is up with so many middle aged and young people dying from accidental drug overdoses lately?

Over-prescription of extremely dangerous and addictive prescription medications due to an over-saturation of the prescription drug market with upwards of 4 times the legitimately useful quantity of drugs. As it is, estimates put the amount of prescription benzodiazapines and opiates which reach the black or grey market at 50% of total volume, while legitimate uses for these drugs even in the legal market accounts for only a fraction of the total consumption.

That, and a culture which celebrates addiction and compulsive and erratic behaviors in celebrities who are also those most likely to die accidentally while living a lifestyle we find fascinating.

The prescription drug market is just too big and too seller-driven for public safety. The pharma companies push their wares on doctors and hospitals, who get bonuses and other incentives for prescribing the damned things, and by routinely prescribing more than is needed. I don't know how many times I've been given twice the number of painkillers as was necessary for some injury or an ear infection or surgery. Everybody has vicodin and percs and muscle-relaxers laying around in their cabinets. I'm not an addict- but I can only imagine how easy it would be to get them- there are people who doctor shop for 40, 50, even 100 pills a day.

If we were just to commit medical records to a national database, with prescription information included and each health care patient issued a number and ID for that system, we could eliminate hundreds of millions of dollars in fraud in the prescription market alone, and stop the sale of billions of pills to young people and addicts who die every day using them. It's horrifying that our health care "system" has come to this kind of destructive greed.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's face it: comedians, as a group, are not happy people. I liked Giraldo and it really sucks that he died.

On the other hand, it's not that surprising to me.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Yes indeed, Jon.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.