FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If people won't reduce carbon, murder them

Author Topic: If people won't reduce carbon, murder them
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Link.

Holy God... I don't even know what to say about this. "Care to join? No pressure." A group calling itself 10:10 wants to reduce carbon emissions by 10% by this Sunday, 10/10. And if you don't want to join their effort, no pressure. They'll just push a button and murder you. Even schoolchildren.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking its not what you think it is.

If its something that wouldnt seem out of place in a Moffat written episode of Doctor Who I think your taking it too seriously.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Lisa, do you get angry at sitcom characters, as people, for being stupid? I mean, yeah, you can dislike the writers, but the characters are not real.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

You know what? I don't get angry at Kurt from Glee; I get angry at the writers. And I don't get angry at the characters in this film or the actors who play them; I get angry at the sociopaths who made the film in the first place.

And Blayne, what on earth do you mean it's not what I think it is? That film was made in earnest. In complete seriousness. The organization itself put out an apology and took it down from the site. But only after people saw it and went apes**t about it. It never crossed their minds not to post it.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

No that's not what happened at all, they meant it as a joke, it wasn't serious at all.

None of the mainstream ecoactivist groups (except maybe PETA but they're the Scientologists of the activist world) would ever consider this as a reasonable course of action.

I frankly don't see it as threatening or a threat, it looks and feels like a joke, like a self parody, not as a serious manifesto of intent.

The ONLY way you can say otherwise is via making up what their intent is from your own pre concieved biases.

I dare you to find one lick of proof or statement from their site that says "we made this video in complete seriousness"

I'll wait.

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's supposed to be gross-out comedy, but it is odd that they portray the super environmentally concious as cold blooded murderers who are willing to traumatize their followers.

I'm sure that's not the impression they were going for - but yes, it was a bit Doctor Who. I'm thinking Adipose Industries. Only, obviously in that episode the person killing the general public was punished severely. Because they were evil and stupid and wrong.

I wonder who thought this film would be a good idea? Maybe it sounded better on paper.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Week-Dead Possum
Member # 11917

- posted      Profile for Week-Dead Possum           Edit/Delete Post 
I think at best these people could be found guilty of extremely poor taste. Itīs definetly not funny, and itīs way off key, but itīs also not much of a death threat, and if you insist that it is, Iīd say you need to get some perspective.

So whatīs the game plan Lisa? They retracted and apologized, and nobody seems too inclined to defend them. do you just wanna cast some scorn on them? Do want to make out like this is an actual terrorist threat? God forbid you should actually write some substantive thoughts on how this is an example of how activists can be completely out of touch with reality and seem to act out of some compulsion to preach doom... But that might hit too close to home for you to touch on too long.

hem

Posts: 79 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't Retreat, Instead - RELOAD!
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
And Blayne, what on earth do you mean it's not what I think it is? That film was made in earnest. In complete seriousness.

Man, you actually believe this, don't you. Yes, I'm sure they're earnestly, seriously saying to kill everyone who doesn't participate.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
No but seriously if you actually believe that, you're confirmably, legitimately paranoid.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa, I think the commercial was in bad taste, and not exactly most effective at getting the message across. But I think that it should be obvious to someone of your intelligence that the point they're trying to make is that climate change is something that we just can't ignore any longer, and that we do so at our own peril, and at the expense of our and our children's futures.

I'm baffled at some of the thread's you've been posting recently. If the opposing ideology did anything even close you'd be jumping all over them.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
And Blayne, what on earth do you mean it's not what I think it is? That film was made in earnest. In complete seriousness.

Man, you actually believe this, don't you. Yes, I'm sure they're earnestly, seriously saying to kill everyone who doesn't participate.
No, obviously not. But even though it comes across as something anti-AGW people might put together to make AGW folks look like utter psychpaths, they actually did it themselves. They thought making something like that was okay.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Yeah, and? You act like all of us have not been aware of that since we first watched the thing. I'd love it if you ever bothered to turn your caterwauling into something constructive.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
What if NOM had made it and they had people raise their hands to admit they were gay before blowing them up?

Would it still be ha-ha? or would it be taken as a threat?

If people feel comfortable joking about wanting to kill you, that's a HUGE red flag.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

You know why your analogy makes it seem worse? Becuase in your analogy, it *is* worse.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
If people feel comfortable joking about wanting to kill you, that's a HUGE red flag.

Of what?

The designers of this campaign having horrible taste and judgment is evidence of horrible taste and judgment, not of an underlying sociopathic mentality of people who recognize that anthropogenic global warming is an issue that should be tackled with action. It's not like after watching it, you should be worried that the 'global warmists' are out to blow you up.

I mean, unless you're legitimately paranoid.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

Also, of note:

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Would it still be ha-ha? or would it be taken as a threat?

Who's saying this is ha-ha?
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
You know why your analogy makes it seem worse? Becuase in your analogy, it *is* worse.

Why?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Because being gay isn't a threat to the future of our planet, and anyone who says it is, is arguing from hate and bias and ignorance.

Climate change IS a threat to the future of our planet as backed up by 99% of the scientific community.

That's why the analogy fails.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Its also more acceptable to eliminate people who dont share your political beliefs while killing people just because their different is bigoted.
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
Because being gay isn't a threat to the future of our planet, and anyone who says it is, is arguing from hate and bias and ignorance.

Climate change IS a threat to the future of our planet as backed up by 99% of the scientific community.

There's also the point that while there is no credible danger to opting out of climate change action, people all across america still hide the fact that they are gay because of the threat of things like violence. For that reason alone, a video like this where gay people get blown up for revealing they are gay would be even worse.

Not that this is good either. Its amazingly tasteless and should result in people getting fired.

Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably could have been funny without the blood and guts.

Other than that, it's a complete tempest in a teapot.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
Probably could have been funny without the blood and guts.

Yeah, even when you remove the shock value, it doesn't make any sense.

quote:
Adam Corner, a research associate at Cardiff University with an interest in the pscyhology of communicating climate change, blogged that the video failed to communicate on a basic level:

At the most general level, the video fails to address basic principles of communication. What is the message? Who are the audience? The video literally doesn't make any sense – if it is aimed at supporters, what are we supposed to take from it? And if it is aimed at those who oppose the 10:10 campaign – or more pertinently, are not yet aware of or interested in it – then what is the video hoping to achieve?

But worse, he felt, was that it went against received wisdom on the best way to engage people on climate action:

quote:
Beyond these general faults, many of the pitfalls of communicating climate change are gleefully skipped into. It is now well established that using shock tactics to pressure people into caring about climate change is of limited use: while fear of a negative outcome (e.g. lung cancer) can be an effective way of promoting behavioural changes (e.g. giving up smoking), the link between the threat and the behaviour must be personal and direct. Typically, climate change is perceived as neither a direct nor a personal threat – and so shocking people into doing their recycling is probably not the way to go.

We also know that while 'peer pressure' can be a remarkably effective way of promoting and spreading environmentally friendly behaviour, this is a process of social comparison that cannot be controlled by 'outsiders' to an individual's social group. People make their comparisons to people who are 'like them' – people that they respect, admire, or empathise with in some way. Observing other people engaging in pro-environmental behaviour is a fantastic way of generating a positive social norm. Blowing them up for failing to get with the programme is not…

[/quote]
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:

And homosexuals are a class of people, not people making a choice. It's not right or tasteful to make light of the idea of violence against the apathetic, but it's just not as bad as that. Not all things are equivalent.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Right.

The analogy fails because, unlike homosexuals, global warming deniers really are evil scumbags and, though we certainly don't think it's come to that yet, murdering global warming deniers would be much more understandable than murdering gay people.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Its also more acceptable to eliminate people who dont share your political beliefs while killing people just because their different is bigoted.

That's really insightful Blayne. (not sarcasm) You got my point in one.

People who purge their dissenters and/or encourage violence against them are just as monstrous as those who go after minorities.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

It's so funny to see people tripping over each other, half of them saying the video is in poor taste and obviously nobody is defending it and half the people saying it's in poor taste but, really, those global warming deniers are just so terrible that it's a little bit understandable to want to exterminate them.
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
In the interests of precision, the video isn't merely joking about blowing up global warming deniers (say 10 or 20% of the world by population), it's joking about blowing up anyone who is apathetic about meeting the 10:10 goal (say upwards of 99.5%) including specifically Gillian Anderson.

So the comparison to political repression of a minority simply lacks the proper sense of scale and isn't paranoid enough.

You should be worrying about the effective genocide of the human race. Just sayin'

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
Right.

The analogy fails because, unlike homosexuals, global warming deniers really are evil scumbags and, though we certainly don't think it's come to that yet, murdering global warming deniers would be much more understandable than murdering gay people.

[Roll Eyes]

Noting why one would cause more popular uproar/interest isn't the same as saying that it seems 'much more understandable to murder' group y vs. group x. Especially when the noted subtext also includes the part where threats against group y are much more credible than threats against group x.
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
In the interests of precision, the video isn't merely joking about blowing up global warming deniers (say 10 or 20% of the world by population), it's joking about blowing up anyone who is apathetic about meeting the 10:10 goal (say upwards of 99.5%) including specifically Gillian Anderson.

So the comparison to political repression of a minority simply lacks the proper sense of scale and isn't paranoid enough.

You should be worrying about the effective genocide of the human race. Just sayin'

But it's justifiable genocide, since people apathetic to global warming are endangering the whole planet!!!
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the button in the video as an attempt to show an unavoidable consequence, rather than murder. It's done badly and comes off as murder, but you can be pretty sure that's not what they were going for.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
Noting why one would cause more popular uproar/interest isn't the same as saying that it seems 'much more understandable to murder' group y vs. group x.

I don't know, I think if someone is less upset/interested then it's reasonable to assume it's because they find one example more offensive, and therefore find the other example more understandable.

quote:
Especially when the noted subtext also includes the part where threats against group y are much more credible than threats against group x.
This, however, is a good point.
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
quote:

Right.

[Roll Eyes]

What a ridiculous exaggeration of what i said. Actually, exaggeration is being generous. Your comment really has barely any relation to my posts.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's so funny to see people tripping over each other, half of them saying the video is in poor taste and obviously nobody is defending it and half the people saying it's in poor taste but, really, those global warming deniers are just so terrible that it's a little bit understandable to want to exterminate them.

Or the funny people who, oh, I don't know... Have actual opinions rather than the plantings of a fevered imagination and an excessive eagerness to put words in other people's mouths and thoughts in other people's heads?
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
I don't know, I think if someone is less upset/interested then it's reasonable to assume it's because they find one example more offensive, and therefore find the other example more understandable.

What can be found more understandable is not that it's better to murder one group over another, but that it's understandable that gays would find these sorts of threats/conceptualized parodies of murder more imminently objectionable (because these threats of violence often at least mirror tangible real-world threats that gay people legitimately face) and threatening than 'people not inclined to participate in some global warming campaign run by the Guardian' (which is not yet a credible threat in any way, shape or form). The whole narrative about that is, well, you stuffing words and motives in the mouths of others, so far.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
quote:
Noting why one would cause more popular uproar/interest isn't the same as saying that it seems 'much more understandable to murder' group y vs. group x.

As was said before, I find threats against gay people much more credible than threats against the lazy, thus, I consider threats against gays to be more serious. The act in itself of blowing someone up is the same across the board- but the implied threat against someone who is just being lazy does not carry the weight of the same threat against a homosexual, not least because homosexuals have been regularly murdered for being gay.

Now, I *do* find it much more understandable that an activist group would come out with *this* commercial rather than an anti-gay activist coming out with pretty much the same one. Why? Because the implied threat against a homosexual would be so serious, I doubt any organization that wished to continue functioning would try such a thing. With the merely lazy, it's a rather grave mistake to make such a commercial, but it is not nearly as bad as one that might target gays, for reasons I've stated. Thus the fact that this commercial was made is more understandable to me than if one targeting gays had been made. It's because this concept is just not as incendiary. It's pretty freaking awful, but it's not the same. As I said before, "bad" and "bad" are not always equivalent. Some stuff is worse than other stuff. It's fine- you can let that one go, nobody really disagrees here.

Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:

But it's justifiable genocide, since people apathetic to global warming are endangering the whole planet!!!
You can punch out your timecard at the strawman assembly plant, dan. It's time to come home.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

It's not a strawman, it's sarcastic hyperbole. But I'll stop regardless. [Smile]
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
This whole damn thing just seems silly. Please don't tell me Hatrack is in an honest tizzy over it.
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Of course it's silly. But silly things have interesting aftereffects. especially when they are used to represent an entire movement by people who hate them and wish them to fail =)
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

quote:
But silly things have interesting aftereffects. especially when they are used to represent an entire movement by people who hate them and wish them to fail =)

I completely agree with this.
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it's unfortunate that this film came from the brilliant Richard Curtis.

A couple of nights ago I saw "Notting Hill" again after quite a few years and forgot what a brilliant film it was. Early this year I also saw the hilarious "Blackadder" series in its entirety, and both were written by Curtis. He also created Bean and wrote Love Actually! Plus he created Comic Relief.

That video was a poor miscalculation from a talented and funny storyteller.

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I felt it wouldn't have been out of place in Doctor Who.
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I felt it wouldn't have been out of place in Doctor Who.

Heh...Curtis wrote this episode:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1591786/

Maybe the series wore off on him.

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.