FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Everyone is talking about Karen Owen (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Everyone is talking about Karen Owen
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Easy A is, in fact, an empowering exposure of that notorious double-standard. It's not pushing that train of thought; it's mocking it.

You and I may understand that, but the average teenager in high school doesn't.

District 9 is a good example of a misunderstood movie. The film showed how horrible human nature can be, yet ask the average teenager what they got out of the movie and you will probably get an answer about how cool all of the blood and guts was.

The difference is the demographic. Easy A is geared towards a younger group of people than District 9 was. While the messages of both are worthwhile, most people in that demographic aren't going to really "get" it.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you even seen Easy A? The moral of the story is straightforward and blatantly shown.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
most people in that demographic aren't going to really "get" it
This attitude strikes me as a bit elitist. Maybe I'm sheltered, but I think most people in both demographics do get it- hence the success of both movies.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
quote:
most people in that demographic aren't going to really "get" it
This attitude strikes me as a bit elitist. Maybe I'm sheltered, but I think most people in both demographics do get it- hence the success of both movies.
You have to understand I live in Las Vegas. Half of the kids here don't even pass their math proficiency exam on their first try. I believe we are ranked 49th in the country for education. But hey, we are #1 in unemployment and foreclosures! At least we are the best at something.

Elitist? No. I just know a lot of kids here in town, and most of them didn't get what District 9 or Easy A was really about. I asked my brother's friend what they thought of Easy A, and I got the response "Emma Stone is so hot!"

[ October 18, 2010, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Geraine ]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, most teenagers have the self-confidence to tell their friends about their true judgements and feelings. They would never dream of hiding anything that might not quite fit their image behind a screen of juvenilia and socially-approved blather.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Again, had you actually seen Easy A?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Correlation != causation. Still.

[Roll Eyes]

Do tell.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.