FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Music of the 80s

Author Topic: Music of the 80s
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
I really this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatorN4P9aA&ob=av3e

Why isn't 80s music more popular?

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you bored?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sa'eed:
I really this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatorN4P9aA&ob=av3e

Why isn't 80s music more popular?

Well for one thing most music is a product of its time, and very rarely stays relevant for much longer than a few years. Why isn't ragtime piano music or 1920's organ music still popular on the radio today?

Some music just tends to get used more because it was just that good and enough people heard it, so it sticks around. A lot of it to me is luck as much it is composition prowess.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
But the sheer glamor of 80s music...it's so baroque and ridiculous and lovable.
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that '80s music is pretty popular, especially with people that were alive at the time.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the stuff you hear on the radio nowadays are just rehashes of popular 80s music with modern twists.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Still like the '80s music. The hair... not so much.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

Some music just tends to get used more because it was just that good and enough people heard it, so it sticks around. A lot of it to me is luck as much it is composition prowess.

Meh, neither. People want to believe it's luck because they don't understand why music that is demonstrably good is forgotten, and the obviously bad is sometimes remembered. But it's mostly marketing- nothing to do with luck really. If there was one factor in the music business that I would say is the *least* relevant, it's luck. Nobody at the top of the game is lucky- not in the sense I think you mean.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Frontiers was the first vinyl album I ever bought with my own money.

I was such a fan of Journey that I created a party in Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord using the band member's names. Yes, there were only five... it wasn't easy to beat the game a player short, but I did! [Smile]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh! You could at the least have added a fictional roadie named David.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Obligatory literal video response.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Sheesh! You could at the least have added a fictional roadie named David.

... Where were you with that idea thirty years ago?!?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
In a conversation about the 80's Dune film, a friend told me that the essence of all 80's culture is taking one's self too seriously. Discuss.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.