FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is Card getting lazy, or is it just me? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is Card getting lazy, or is it just me?
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
For me it was Shadow Puppets when the shark got jumped. Empire and Hidden Empire were enjoyable reads, despite my issues with the preachiness, until the end, when they each took a turn for the worse, but that was plot-related turn-for-the worse.

It happened to Heinlein too; I still enjoy his post-Moon books, except for two, but the preachiness went way up and consequently the quality went way down.

HOWEVER, that may mostly be because the Shadow series and Empire series dealt directly with politics. What I read so far of Pathfinder seems great. Stonefather didn't have politics in it either. At least, nothing paralleling real-world issues.

When he's world building and character building, and able to forget current politics and democrats and republicans, he can still write great stuff.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to care, deeply, about characters to truly enjoy a story. I haven't cared enough about Card's characters in Empire, in much of the Shadow series. They seemed too flat, less human than I wanted them to be. In the Alvin series, I lost interest near the end when Alvin basically became a superhuman with incredible knacks. Same reason I don't like Superman the comic hero. I appreciate characters I can relate to.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I never really noticed any soap boxing in his Shadow Books, sure there's "politics" but in a fairly abstract "hey look lets play Risk/Hearts of Iron" kinda of way, simplistic and consistent and meant to conform to readers expectations.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
When my mother was dying, I was desperate for things to read while waiting in the ICU waiting room (they only allowed visitors for a few hours at a time). I picked up... I think it was Shadow Puppets. Whichever one starts off with forty pages of Petra begging Bean to make babies.

I ended up going with something else. Something with ghouls and vampires and werewolves, and werewolves with bees in their mouths, and when they howl they shoot bees at you.

Now, it may just be that Card's stuff subconsciously reminds me of a difficult time in my life, and have nothing to do with the quality of the work, but I have not picked up one of his books since.

I can't really blame him for that. It is what it is.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
I ended up going with something else. Something with ghouls and vampires and werewolves, and werewolves with bees in their mouths, and when they howl they shoot bees at you.

[ROFL]

Ahh, The Simpsons.

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Gardener:
I have to care, deeply, about characters to truly enjoy a story. I haven't cared enough about Card's characters in Empire, in much of the Shadow series. They seemed too flat, less human than I wanted them to be. In the Alvin series, I lost interest near the end when Alvin basically became a superhuman with incredible knacks. Same reason I don't like Superman the comic hero. I appreciate characters I can relate to.

Whoa, what's up, Jenny? Been a long time! [Smile]

Olivet, too! This thread is an old-school Hatrack reunion.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.