FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Blizzcon 2010

Author Topic: Blizzcon 2010
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Blizzcon starts this week on Friday! So, any bets on what (if any) the big reveal is going to be? I'm hoping we find out the last class for Diablo 3. But I would be positively gleeful if we find out what Blizzard's mystery MMORPG is. It's supposed to be a brand new franchise, and I'm kinda intrigued as to what the folks at Blizzard are going to come up with.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we can pool resources and go there?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that StarCraft II's out, Diablo III is the only other thing we have currently announced that has any "big reveals" left. My money's on the last class.

So far, we got::

Monk - fast melee combatant
Witch Doctor - Summoner/manipulator
Wizard - traditional mage
barbarian - heavy melee combant

So I'm pretty positive the last one will be some kind of archer variant. Since Fast Melee is already taken, it needs some other gimmick. Possibilities include something Hunter-like. (A grim, undead slayer would have appropriate flavor and I could see it having some interesting abilities)

As for the secret MMO, I don't expect that to come out until WoW is reaching its.... not "end" exactly, but starting to slow down. There's only so much lore they have to go off of with WoW. I realize they're making more, but so far every expansion we've seen has been hinted at from the beginning.

I think they have two-three more expansions left. Next Blizzcon will be announcing the next WoW expansion and/or Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm. I expect the new MMO won't be announced for at least two years.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe we can pool resources and go there?
If we had bought tickets like, forever ago. (Also, there's no advantage to pooling resources when price-object is the same for everyone).
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
low but significant odds for announcement of the next blizzard MMO.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
1H 45Ms to go!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that Starcraft 2 has reminded me how cool Blizzard RTS games are I want to see another Warcraft.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! Demon hunter sounds like a fitting class for rounding out the D3 bunch.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Called the grim undead hunter archetype!

I thought that the girl in the trailer was Leah at first. Do we know anything about her? By the end it was clear she was just some random demon-hunter-to-be, but I would be interested in seeing that story fleshed out more.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Ah man, I just realized I coulda watched it all online, shoulda bought the virtual ticket, still debating getting it now for the wow pet.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I never got the appeal of that. You get all the information (and a lot of the videos) a day later, for free.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
I never got the appeal of that. You get all the information (and a lot of the videos) a day later, for free.

Yep, but for some I guess that's just not fast enough.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And the wow pet.

Starcraft II tournament is on now, its the most epic and awesome thing ever.

0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Never understood people who buy the virtual ticket with the pet being the main incentive.

Those tickets are expensive and its just a vanity pet. A cool vanity pet but is any vanity pet really worth that kind of money?

On a side note if I was ever going to spend that kind of money on a wow pet i would have gotten the marine murloc not the deathwing one. So much cooler.

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Well I didnt get it, it wouldve been worth it had I got it friday and watched from the beginning.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Boxer vs fruitdealer was awesome.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

From the match,

"however boxer does not have a base anymore, and bases are pretty good in starcraft"

[Big Grin]

Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I got back from Blizzcon yesterday morning. This is my third year going.

The goody bag was kind of a let down the past couple of years. Last year we received a "Noobs" figuring that was painting like Jim Raynor. This year we received a "Deathling" statue. The statue is pretty cool, but I was hoping for more. The card gives that little Deathy Murloc thing in the game. It looks pretty cool and I've received quite a few comments on it, but I wish we would have received a mount.

Overall the show was pretty good. No big announcements, but that was to be expected. No beta keys were given out which was a let down.

WOW: I played through the Worgen and Goblin starting areas, and the Goblin starting area is absolutely amazing. Right from the get go you get a car to ride around in to complete the quests, complete with a horn and a radio. Everything feels like Brooklyn or New York while you drive around your car. The music and sound effects sound like something out of Roger Rabbit, and the Goblins all have New York accents.

The Worgen starting area is pretty cool too. It starts after the Worgen attack your city. After quite a few quests you are bitten and some time later you become a worgen.

Starcraft II: There wasn't much Starcraft II goodness besides the new game modes. Starjeweled plays just like bejeweled except it is also a tower defense game. The more gems you match and combos you get, the more points you receive. You then use the points to spawn different units to attack your opponents base. There are also some powers you can activate with points to assist you.

The Auir Chef was my least favorite but it was fun to play once. You are a protoss zealot with a chef hat, and you have to go find certain ingredients and bring them back to make dishes for points. My favorite line was "Un Taro CUISINE!" (In a funny high pitched japanese accent)

Left 2 Die was a lot like Left 4 Dead, but with an overhead view. That about sums it up.

Blizzard Dota was actually pretty good! It is pretty fast paced but not to the extent that you feel rushed. There was not a lot of items in the game yet to buff your character and there needs to be some major class balance, but it is in an early stage of developement.

No "Heart of the Swarm" news.

Diablo III: This is my third year playing Diablo III and I can't get enough of it. If the line wasn't so damn long I would have spent half the show there. The game is absolutely amazing. I played the new Demon Hunter class and had a blast. The graphics are breathtaking and the game was running very smoothly and stable. The game almost runs TOO well for the amount of work Blizzard says it needs before release. The crafting systems are now in the game but were not available to us during the presentation. The classes are all pretty well balanced already as well.

The arena battles are going to be a blast, but I would rather them finish the single player campaign and release the game and finish arena battles later. Arena battles are only going to delay the game due to class balancing issues.

Tenacious D was cool. The WoW arena finals were pretty awesome as well. I didn't get to watch the Fruit Dealer battle though [Frown]

I have a few pictures I took on my phone. I'll see if I can post them up on Photobucket.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they set it up so you could make a level 80 character on the Cataclysm demo. I checked out the goblins and worgen last year. I would have liked to fly around and check out the new scenery.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
They let us do that two years ago before WOTLK came out which was pretty nice, but then again they didn't have a whole lot to show off except Northrend.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I would love to get my hands on Diablo 3. It's a bloody shame we will be lucky to get it by Christmas of next year.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.