FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Face Blindness

Author Topic: Face Blindness
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
On Andrew Gelman's blog, he has a post on his own struggles with identifying faces. In the post he links to an online survey (the "Cambridge Face Memory Test") that tests ability to memorize and recognize faces under various pose angles.

The test seems to have some academic aspirations (I didn't even cursorily look over the site, so I don't know if it's connected with a reputable University in any way). But the test was (for me at least) fairly painless.

My results:
quote:
Out of 72 faces, you correctly identified 67.
In other words, you got 93% correct.

which is followed with the contextual information
quote:
On our previous version of this test, the average person with normal face recognition was able to recognize about 80% of the faces. If you correctly identified less than 65% of the faces, this may indicate face recognition difficulties.
(Gelman got 42/72 = 58%).
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of 72 faces, you correctly identified 50.
In other words, you got 69% correct.

I'm terrible at recognizing faces and remembering names. If even a few months pass without seeing a friend or coworker, I won't recognize them right away. I have to listen for their voice and wait for them to make some sort of conversational clue that reminds me that we've met before.

But that may have more to do with the discomfort I feel looking into people's faces. I even felt uncomfortable for the first half of the test, like looking at a two-way mirror and having remind myself that no one is looking back at me.

I'm actually surprised that I didn't completely fail the test. I was pretty sure I would after they started playing with the color pixelation. It got easier after a few rounds, but at first I felt like I might as well be staring at a completely black screen.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I did fairly well:
quote:
Out of 72 faces, you correctly identified 70.
In other words, you got 97% correct.

On the subject of face blindness, when I was a kid, Martin Caidin had written a book called Cyborg, which was the basis for The Six Million Dollar Man. He subsequently wrote a few SMDM novels as well. And on the cover of each, there's a drawing of a man's face. Here's a link.

When I brought this book home, one of my sisters asked me, "But who is that on the cover?" And I was confused, because it was obviously Steve Austin. When I told her that, she told me I was crazy. I asked my brother and my other sister, and got the same answer. And then my mother, who is a freaking artist, told me, "Maybe there's a slight resemblance, but not much."

So I'm curious. Does anyone else think that picture looks like Lee Majors in that show?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of 72 faces, you correctly identified 60.
In other words, you got 83% correct.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Out of 72 faces, you correctly identified 67.
In other words, you got 93% correct.

I'm actually surprised. Faces tend to run together for me until my brain has had time to sort them out. I would have done much worse if they hadn't had all the "practice" rounds at first.

I found myself assigning each face with a tag, like the "Slavic" one and the "fat" one.

I'm terrible at remembering colors.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I got 81%. When it asked me how I thought I was, I said average, and it looks like I was right.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of 72 faces, you correctly identified 66.
In other words, you got 92% correct.

I found it helpful to give each of the six faces a name or a personality... one reminded me of Orlando Bloom, another looked like he was a fighter...

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. In the questionnaire, I said that I'm below average. But I got 90% correct.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

One of the faces actually bore a remarkable resemblance to Mary Louise Parker.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Out of 72 faces, you correctly identified 52.
In other words, you got 72% correct.

I thought I was below average, and I'm just a bit below. I can almost never identify an actor from one show in another show, especially if the clothing or hair style is really different. It's usually the mouth that I recognize first, and when it was pixelated in the test the mouth features were really hard to identify.

Lisa, I'm with you, definitely Steve Austin!

Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 94%. Not too shabby. I went pretty fast near the end since I got bored.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
"Out of 72 faces, you correctly identified 33."

I'm not surprised. I've always been horrible at facial recognition. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned here before that I was born with a tumor that consumed literally the entire right side of my brain. This is clearly one function it wasn't really able to compensate for.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Huh. In the questionnaire, I said that I'm below average.

Ditto, except I got 85%. So apparently I am slightly more self-aware than you. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
71 of 72, here. I wonder which one I missed.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Sala:

Thank you!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Ditto, except I got 85%. So apparently I am slightly more self-aware than you. [Wink]
Heh. An alternate theory that explains my results is that I was actively paying attention to faces for the test, but I generally don't pay much attention to faces at all.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

Ugh. And you wonder why no one likes you.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:

I pretty much raced through it. And there were two that I wasn't sure about, so those are probably the two I missed.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
quote:

Ugh. And you wonder why no one likes you.
Huh?
rollainm
Member # 8318

Perhaps a smiley was in order.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:
quote:

Heh. An alternate theory that explains my results is that I was actively paying attention to faces for the test, but I generally don't pay much attention to faces at all.
I do pay attention; I just have lousy recall of them. The test was immediately after, which probably helped.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:

Thank you!
I agree, I see Lee Majors as Steve Austin in that picture. But maybe your family members were thinking of this Steve Austin? (Who I only heard of a week or so ago when I was watching a DVD of Chuck.)
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sinflower
Member # 12228

- posted      Profile for sinflower           Edit/Delete Post 
74%. Figures. I put "somewhat below average" but I was hoping I could scrape by with an average. Oh well, I'm happy enough with this score, I've scored zero on "recognize changes in this image" type online visual memory tests before so I know something's kooky in that department of my brain. I don't have very much mental imaging capacity.
Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of 72 faces, you correctly identified 65.
In other words, you got 90% correct.

I'm surprised it was that high. I'm exhausted, and several times I had no idea. When they had me review the 6 faces the second time, I had no memory of one of the faces at all.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 74% as well. I always struggle learning the names of my students, so I'm not surprised I'm a bit below average.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Out of 72 faces, you correctly identified 58.
In other words, you got 81% correct.

I put below average, but it said average was 80%, so I guess I'm actually smack on. I also got bored and stopped caring, though.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
I always struggle learning the names of my students

Ditto! Apparently, I'd do ok if the school year was like 10 minutes long. [Wink]
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I scored the lowest so far, 46/72 (64%). I've always been horrible with names and faces so this didn't surprise me at all.
Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
quote:
quote:

Thank you!
I agree, I see Lee Majors as Steve Austin in that picture. But maybe your family members were thinking of this Steve Austin? (Who I only heard of a week or so ago when I was watching a DVD of Chuck.)
I don't think so. That Steve Austin is a year and a half younger than me, and I was in junior high at the time.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I do pay attention; I just have lousy recall of them. The test was immediately after, which probably helped.
I'd like to see a follow-up, where they email you the next day and you go in and do the identifications without them showing you the six faces again. I probably wouldn't score a 70 again, but I'd be surprised if I got fewer than 90% of them right.
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
I got 71 out of 72 as well. I would say "once I see a face I never forget it" but that is evidently not true. =(
Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I'm having some serious self-esteem issues having scored similarly to both Tom and Sa'eed.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Face Bidness
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I got 89 percent, but I was really tired last night when I took it. I might have done a little better if I hadn't been.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I am amazed. I guessed so many of those but I got 85%.

But then, perhaps I shouldn't be amazed. A lot of my problem isn't recognizing that I've seen you before, it's figuring out who the heck you are. I often have no idea where I know you from, although I'll recognize you, no problem.

I learn names pretty fast, especially when I figure out what your distinguishing characteristic is. If I have a lot of blonde boys together, for example, I have issues telling them apart. If they look like someone I already know, that helps because I can remember who they are in relation to the other person whose name I have learnt.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
A lot of my problem isn't recognizing that I've seen you before, it's figuring out who the heck you are. I often have no idea where I know you from, although I'll recognize you, no problem.

You know, that's true for me too. Good point.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow I got a 90% on this even though I'm almost totally face blind.

The other day I was talking about someone in the third person (who I'd known for like 2 years) when I realized (via the context of the conversation) that that was the person I was talking to...

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of 72 faces, you correctly identified 54.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Thank you!
I agree!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
quote:
quote:

Thank you!
I agree!
Agreed
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.