FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bing Better Search Result than Google??

Author Topic: Bing Better Search Result than Google??
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a first.

I was on another computer which used Bing accidentally to search for "instrument used throw it in the bag"

My goal was to find out what instrument was used in that song.

I then quickly went to Google and made the same search. Amazingly enough, the results were lower quality. Maybe I'm missing something.

I never thought I'd say this, but Bing was a better search engine for something.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

- posted      Profile for capaxinfiniti           Edit/Delete Post 
google vs bing

this allows you to see the exact differences in search results. i dont know how to quantify 'better' in this circumstance because it depends on what one needs in a search engine as well as the desired results. i think the satisfaction with the results is linked mostly to what is searched. a poor search will result in poor results. or it could simply be a case of not getting 'what you expected'.

i love google but they have a very great interest in showing you ads and, sadly, that effects your search results.

Posts: 570 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
http://imgur.com/cl8qo

Bing is the name of a rare internet ailment which can be easily remedied by switching your browser default search to google.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
If that isn't convincing enough, I don't know what is.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

Bing is the name of a rare internet ailment which can be easily remedied by switching your browser default search to google.

Current Bing search results for "World Cup" don't look remotely like what is shown in the image. The difference is significant enough that I have a hard time believing the picture isn't more likely a product of Adobe Illustrator than Bing.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently the screenshot shows bing.de search results. Not as damning as it appears on first blush, at least for US users, but I don't think it's faked.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

- posted      Profile for capaxinfiniti           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

Current Bing search results for "World Cup" don't look remotely like what is shown in the image. The difference is significant enough that I have a hard time believing the picture isn't more likely a product of Adobe Illustrator than Bing.
you beat me to it. i noticed the same thing. it looks like this screen shot (if its legit) was taken during the world cup in july 2010. its likely google produced those results at that time because of the number of searches and request for that data. meaning lots of people were searching world cup and from the results they were continuing on to find scores. google monitors things like that and maybe bing doesnt have the desire and/or traffic to do so. this isnt a defense of bing; google is very good at what they do but i dont think bing is terrible, all things consdered.
Posts: 570 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Apparently the screenshot shows bing.de search results. Not as damning as it appears on first blush, at least for US users, but I don't think it's faked.

Even with the German version, if I input "World Cup" today the first hit is for a variety of news stories, some about the soccer world cup (Paul the octopus died) and others not.

The second hit is for what appears to be a data page for this year's soccer world cup in South Africa. (And of course if you search for "Weltmeisterschaft" you get several pages of returns about the soccer world cup, with German Wikipedia leading the way).

So I remain skeptical that the picture is an actual screen shot, rather than a ginned up piece of propaganda.

<edit>Although it wouldn't make much sense to go to the effort of doing the search in bing.de if you were just going to hack the image anyway. Hmmm...maybe I can believe the image is just dishonest and not outright fraudulent.</edit>

[ October 26, 2010, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: SenojRetep ]

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
Current Bing search results for "World Cup" don't look remotely like what is shown in the image.

Image is over four months old. When it went viral on digg & reddit, complete with a slew of comments where people contributed their own region's bing dysfunction, microsoft went 'oh crap' and altered its search responses to sporting events, added FIFA scores to searches, and especially tried to fix its poor localization.

Image not fraudulent, won't lose any sleep if the internet conspiracy hunting squad assumes it is.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Like I said in my edit, I'm willing to believe its not fraudulent.

But comparing side-by-side US Google hits to German Bing hits is dishonest. The fact that the image 1) was created and 2) went viral on reddit and digg speaks more (IMO) to a certain subculture's knee-jerk rejection of all things Microsoft than Bing as a "rare internet ailment."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.