FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Website design question: Curly or straight? How smart are your quotes?

Author Topic: Website design question: Curly or straight? How smart are your quotes?
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Currently all of the quotation marks on our website are the straight ones, like on most other sites. But I'm considering adding the coding to begin using curly or "smart" quotation marks instead, as I think in many cases it makes the text easier to read. What do you think?

(Note that first I need to make sure that using this code won't screw up any database or XML coding we're already using, as programmers have entirely different notions of what quotes mean.)

[ October 27, 2010, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall ever being glad for curly quotes, but there have been many times that they've been a pain for me (although all the times that I can recall, I was editing, not reading).
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The pros: For many people curly quotes make text easier to read. They look more professional. And they tend to add a more elegant look, I think.

The cons: They have to be specially coded. They don't copy and paste well in many applications. Done wrong, they may interfere with database functions and/or XML applications such as RSS feeds.

As Shmuel just put it in an IM, "Basically, if everything goes right, smart quotes are nicer, but using them makes it much easier for things to go wrong. Straight quotes are more boring, but less problematic."

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
As a general rule, I prefer boring and less problematic.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

May not matter. I changed one of our stories to use them and with the font we use, you can barely tell the difference. So, probably not worth the trouble.

Ah, well.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The pros: For many people curly quotes make text easier to read.
How many and how much easier? Given that there are roughly a billion English speakers in the world, there could be millions and it could still be a tiny fraction of the English reading population. I suspect that it makes very little difference for the overwhelming majority of readers.

quote:
They look more professional. And they tend to add a more elegant look, I think.
I looked at the New York Times, Washington Post, BBC News, and LA Times online and only the New Your Times uses curly quotes. Given that a many of the top profession news organization are using straight quotes for their online publications, its a bit dubious to claim curly quotes are "more professional". They may be more elegant, but elegance is a very subjective issue and most of the time, it runs counter to readability.

I guess the real question is , how much trouble are you willing to go to for what amounts to a minor aesthetic difference that most people won't even notice unless it causes trouble?

[ October 27, 2010, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Given that a many of the top profession news organization are using straight quotes for their online publications, its a bit dubious to claim curly quotes are "more professional".

In print publishing, curly quotes are absolutely more professional. Straight quotes almost never appear in print except in amateur work.

And anyway, is it really that problematic or difficult to implement? My WordPress-powered blog does smart quotes automatically, and I don't think I've ever had problems with it.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem comes when you don't want to use smart quotes... like when you're using " for foot and ' for inches... then you have to remember how to turn off the smart quotes.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Given that a many of the top profession news organization are using straight quotes for their online publications, its a bit dubious to claim curly quotes are "more professional".

In print publishing, curly quotes are absolutely more professional. Straight quotes almost never appear in print except in amateur work.

Yes, but we aren't talking about print, we are talking online publications. A simple perusal of major professional websites is enough to show that the standards are different for the different media.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
And anyway, is it really that problematic or difficult to implement? My WordPress-powered blog does smart quotes automatically, and I don't think I've ever had problems with it.
I think the simplest answer to that question is "Problematic enough that many major professional sites have chosen not to use them."

In my limited experience, the problems arise primarily when you are trying to import/export the text for different uses.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, but we aren't talking about print, we are talking online publications. A simple perusal of major professional websites is enough to show that the standards are different for the different media.

Yes, I know that we're talking about online publications. But the more time goes on, the more online publications start to look like print publications. People are starting to apply the same notions of professional typography to websites. It might only be the beginning of the trend, but it's still a trend.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Curly quotes are ridiculous and should never be used.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to come down on the side of the developers, on this one. I dislike curly quotes.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:

Yes, I know that we're talking about online publications. But the more time goes on, the more online publications start to look like print publications. People are starting to apply the same notions of professional typography to websites. It might only be the beginning of the trend, but it's still a trend.
Which means its a good time to ask the question of whether or not a given typographical notion is appropriate for online publication. Electronic text is used in many ways that printed text is not. It's routinely searched, transferred to databases, copied, and reformatted (to list only a few). Print text is intended to be read by human eyes, electronic publications are also read by software programs.

If there really is a trend toward using print publication standards for electronic publications, it's high time to determine whether those standards make any sense for electronic media. If curly quotes really significantly improve readability for most human readers, then maybe its worth the effort to develop software that's compatible. But If it is really just an an issue of fashion that offers no real utility, it's time to slam on the breaks.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

As I said above, our font makes the difference between the two choices nearly invisible so I won't be bothering.

I've found that when reading e-books -- which is most of what I read -- I do prefer a well-formatted book with curly quotes. But on the website it looks like too much hassle for not enough return.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.