FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Idiomatic expressions that are actually kind of silly

Author Topic: Idiomatic expressions that are actually kind of silly
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
From Norwegian:

Misforstå meg rett: "Misunderstand me correctly". Funny once; not funny when it becomes the standard preface to any clarification.

Hudflette: "Skin-braid". Used in newspapers where an English speaker might use "flay"; it means to criticise dramatically, to say "Well this is really beyond silliness". I came across it today in the context of some European air CEO skin-braiding American 'security' routines, which is fair enough. But really, how do you braid someone's skin? It sounds like one of those inventive punishments from saga, like the blood eagle or making people listen to skaldic poetry. Come to think of it, 'flay' for 'criticise' is not very sensible either. What is with journalists and wanting to take people's skin off?

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I think flaying is the same metaphor at play in "tongue lashing". I even think skin-braid is related - first you cut them to ribbons, then you have ribbons you can braid together.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite is "below par." I'm sorry, KoM. You're post is below par.

The only other place I know of that uses par is golf, where the goal is to get as far below par as possible.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
You've never head the phrase "up to par?" I hear it pretty often.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
par is average. sub par below average.

Getting below par in golf is actually above par as a result.

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
"Misunderstand me correctly" reminds of the expression "I could care less" -- which means the opposite of what it says.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
"Easy as falling off a log."

Have you ever fallen off a log, say perhaps while crossing a stream? Why in the world would some one trying to convey how easy something is, pick an example that's you would try hard to avoid and likely to lead to personal injury?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
"Head over heels."

My head's over my heels right now, and I'm just sitting in a chair.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
"Come here and come here". Derived from "You think you can come here and [unreasonable demand/request/whatever]?" Many variants, all of them funny when they were first coined. Not very funny as idioms.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

"Eg gir fanden", "I give the devil". What do you give him? Not his due, apparently. The expression means "I don't care", but it doesn't make any sense.
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
"Misunderstand me correctly" reminds of the expression "I could care less" -- which means the opposite of what it says.

This one bothers me, because the actual phrase is "I couldn't care less" but people have actually gotten so lazy they don't say the "-n't".
Take the extra millisecond, people!

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Come now. It's at least a tenth of a second. Speaking of lazy habits, how about the habit of using 'millisecond', which is a precise term meaning "one one-thousandth of a second", to indicate "a short period"? Take the extra decisecond of thought and use an accurate prefix!
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Err, millisecond means "one one-thousandth of a second." Synonyms...
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
"Easy as falling off a log."

Have you ever fallen off a log, say perhaps while crossing a stream? Why in the world would some one trying to convey how easy something is, pick an example that's you would try hard to avoid and likely to lead to personal injury?

That one makes perfect sense. It's so easy to do, you don't even have to try.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by Raventhief:
Err, millisecond means "one one-thousandth of a second." Synonyms...

Yes, that's what I said. [Confused]
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorites in French are "poser un lapin" and "ne pas avoir sa langue dans sa poche"

Which mean: to ask a rabbit (i.e. to be stood up) and don't have your tongue in your pocket (to speak frankly).

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
"Easy as Pie" doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Is making a pie presumably from scratch really that easy? Or only pretty easy?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Compared to making other meals from scratch, perhaps it is? It is presumably a leftover from before there was a lot of cheap partly-processed stuff.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Compared to making other meals from scratch, perhaps it is? It is presumably a leftover from before there was a lot of cheap partly-processed stuff.

Ah, that might be true. A meat pie is definitely easy to put together.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I can make an apple tart in 5 minutes.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
In English, we might say "I have other fish to fry." In French, however, the phrase is "avoir des autres chats a fouetter" ...to have other cats to whip. At least frying fish is useful...
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
"More than one way to skin a cat." That's always struck me as pretty odd.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
"Easy as Pie" doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Is making a pie presumably from scratch really that easy? Or only pretty easy?

I thought it meant eating a pie, not making one. Eating a pie is very easy to do.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.