FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bush won't criticize Obama

Author Topic: Bush won't criticize Obama
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't seen this online yet so no link, but just saw a clip of Oprah interviewing former president George W. Bush where she asked if he would join Cheney in criticizing President Obama.

From memory: "I'd like to treat him the way I'd like to be treated, and I don't think it's right for a former president to be criticizing the standing one." That's not exact, but it's the idea.

A very classy and welcome move. I was not at all impressed with Bush in office -- not in a positive way, anyway -- but I've been very impressed with his ease into statesmanship.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thirded.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. Classy move.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Aye.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
A very classy and welcome move. I was not at all impressed with Bush in office -- not in a positive way, anyway -- but I've been very impressed with his ease into statesmanship.

Yes.
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of the few improvements I think our national politicos have made in the last couple decades. It used to be the case that former presidents rather gleefully seized upon the mistakes of sitting presidents, especially if they were of opposition parties.

Part of me thinks that's maybe a bad thing, not so much from a political angle, but from the fact that, really, the only person I think well-qualified to criticize a president is a former president. Who else really gets it that way? But I think for the sake of our national discourse, with the electorate treated as a polarized entity the way it is, it's very important that today's ex-presidents are a lot more classy.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't really want to hear Bush's criticism of Obama, anyway. He still bears too much responsibility in my mind for many of the problems Obama faces. I'm happy to see him doing things like helping out with Clinton in Haiti, but I really don't want to see him in the public sphere again- I'm perfectly happy to let him slide into the past.

Now if someone could just get Cheney to stop pretending he's an expert on the fields he @#$%ed up...

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to admit though, you're at least somewhat curious about reading his new book aren't you?

I'm of a like mind, and while I generally shy away from biographies of recent presidents, I'm fairly interested. Hearing him in his own ghostwritten words speak about events past without the White House filter around everything he says is going to be interesting.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
I wouldn't really want to hear Bush's criticism of Obama, anyway. He still bears too much responsibility in my mind for many of the problems Obama faces. I'm happy to see him doing things like helping out with Clinton in Haiti, but I really don't want to see him in the public sphere again- I'm perfectly happy to let him slide into the past.

Now if someone could just get Cheney to stop pretending he's an expert on the fields he @#$%ed up...

Wow. Even when he does something positive you blame Bush. Please get over it. It isn't like Obama has made any changes that would fix the mistakes Bush made.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow. Even when he does something positive you blame Bush. Please get over it. It isn't like Obama has made any changes that would fix the mistakes Bush made.
Heh, Geraine, calm down. I don't speak for Chris, but I think one thing he might be getting at is that while it's a classy political move, let's not heap accolades on someone for refraining from criticizing their successor for failing to fix the problems they had a hand in creating.

Not doing something bad is not really the same thing as doing something positive, and the strange thing is, your language hints that you're aware of this: you identify Bush refusing to criticize Obama as a positive. Well, what would Bush have to criticize Obama about? His failure to properly handle which problems, exactly?

Which is rather the point. Personally I have a suspicion that the reason Bush hasn't criticized Obama is because that's a big can of worms he's not very interested in opening, simply because Republicans are usually smarter in their politics than that, and if there's one thing that would have helped Democrats (I think), it's if Dubya had started weighing in on things again.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Condoleezza Rice said pretty much the same thing on Stewart a while back- basically, she's been there, it's hard, and you do what you can.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
You have to admit though, you're at least somewhat curious about reading his new book aren't you?

I'm of a like mind, and while I generally shy away from biographies of recent presidents, I'm fairly interested. Hearing him in his own ghostwritten words speak about events past without the White House filter around everything he says is going to be interesting.

Many strange revelations have already come out. He dissented on the use of force in iraq? He admits approving waterboarding too.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno about classiness, exactly; more like common courtesy, or perhaps consistency. This is the guy who made the presidency into the office of The Decider, remember? At least he's consistent about it.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:

No, I don't blame him for doing something positive (working in Haiti) or even something relatively neutral (making a stance of refusing to criticize Obama.) I just don't think he deserves high praise for getting out of the way; that's the minimum he ought to do, and no less.

As far as what Obama has or hasn't done with regard to damage done during the Bush administration, that's a whole other argument, and one that probably shouldn't envelop this particular thread.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
I say if he has criticisms, he should voice them in a respectful way rather than holding them back, just like anyone else. I didn't have a problem with Clinton criticizing the war.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrope
Member # 12363

- posted      Profile for malanthrope   Email malanthrope         Edit/Delete Post 
With the exception of Jimmy Carter, of course.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, used the other machine....I second myself, from above.
Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.