FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm officially a Goon!

Author Topic: I'm officially a Goon!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Evil]

Registered on SomethingAwful, is actually a pretty alright site, probably a good way to eventually get my name out there.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I just had a ham and cheese melted sandwich, with fried onions. It was delicious. The trick is to put oregano on the cheese, and have plenty of ketchup on the side for dipping.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, becoming a Goon to "get your name out there" is, um....Well, okay, you do what you have to do. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

No no no there's logic to this, the SA forums got like in theory 150,000 users, thus if I gain exposure there and appreciate for art/blog/etc.

Just have to gain rep as a reliable poster first, integrate and network a little and after a few months by the time I got a portfolio and stuff worked out I should have a good start and start gaining experience.

RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
He is taking over the nets.... just like Demosthenes and Locke!
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
SO this is the future? People are going to try and make it on the net rather than elsewhere?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I mean like, when I get my blog online and say linked in my signature, by being on SA alot more people are likely to click on it, and when people get to know me more people can get referred.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you have a good experience in SA Blayne but just a warning, the place is notorious for feeding off other people's misery and anger.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

On other forums, the SA forum itself is actually very strictly moderated and controlled.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
On other forums, the SA forum itself is actually very strictly moderated and controlled.

Not when it comes to posters making fun of other posters.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember years ago I got a SA account for the hawt bit torrent action.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
If you post threads like you post threads here, prepare to get torn to shreds.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I've clearly checked the rules, they don't like that kind of stuff, and besides they've had discussions going so long they're bound to have a thread for anything/everything I'm likely to be interested in, after a few months of pseudolurking then I can start making threads.

New history, new oppurtunity to reinvent.

Also weren't you the person who trolled my earlier anime thread?

quote:

Only if its funny.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, you realize that one of the funniest things a Goon could do to you, right now, would be to link to this thread? [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
a Goon? Goonswarm goon?
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I'm still in Wildly Inappropriate in EVE, 'goon' is a moniker applied to anyone whose a member of the Something Awful forums, theres alot of overlap.
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've clearly checked the rules, they don't like that kind of stuff, and besides they've had discussions going so long they're bound to have a thread for anything/everything I'm likely to be interested in, after a few months of pseudolurking then I can start making threads.

quote:

Only if its funny.
I have never trolled one of your threads. I have been critical of you. You dismiss this as trolling and are very overly sensitive to when people want you to stop acting up. All I am telling you is that if you act on sa the way you act here, you will quickly become a punching bag and a perfect target, because of how sensitive you are to complaints.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm still in Wildly Inappropriate in EVE, 'goon' is a moniker applied to anyone whose a member of the Something Awful forums, theres alot of overlap.

i actually thouhg about if i were to go back out in 0.0 id try to get into WI... but to be honest im making more isk in a wormhole than i actually though possible....
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, you were warned. Just so you know.......I hope it goes well for you.

But considering some of the things here at Hatrack that haven't, I am a little worried about it, and doubt it will.

Compared to the SA forums, this place is like Captain Kangaroo, even at it's worst.

[ November 06, 2010, 05:59 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
SA is a great place for people who are generally coherent and don't fly off the handle in response to criticism, and will mock the shit out of you and ban you if you behave there like you behave here. That's the truth.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Parkour:
quote:

quote:

Only if its funny.
I have never trolled one of your threads. I have been critical of you. You dismiss this as trolling and are very overly sensitive to when people want you to stop acting up. All I am telling you is that if you act on sa the way you act here, you will quickly become a punching bag and a perfect target, because of how sensitive you are to complaints.
Edit: Okay it turns out it was Lanfear, my apologies.

For some reasons the names merged together in my head. Same number of syllables.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecthalion:
a Goon? Goonswarm goon?

I thought the same thing from the title.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Compared to the SA forums, this place is like Captain Kangaroo, even at it's worst.
And there has been cross-infection from there. That explains a lot.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
quote:
I've been a member here much longer than I've been a member there so that doesn't really hold water.

quote:
Originally posted by Ecthalion:
a Goon? Goonswarm goon?

Goon is a catchall term for any member of the SA forums, not just the ones who play EVE. Since Goonswarm originated on SA, everyone in it is a goon.

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Blayne, you realize that one of the funniest things a Goon could do to you, right now, would be to link to this thread? [Smile]

Only if he does something monumentally stupid and calls a lot of attention to himself in the process. Callout threads are verboten since Helldump closed.

[ November 06, 2010, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Misha McBride ]

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
Not really. None of the people whom I'd call "problem posters" here at Hatrack are, to my knowledge, Goons or even frequent SA lurkers. (I would in fact be astonished to learn they were.) And many of Hatrack's oldest posters have also been on SA for many, many years, so it's not like "cross-infection" is a new thing that would explain some perceived change in this forum. [Smile]
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
quote:
No, it really doesn't. The issues with this forum are not goons. =)
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Leper colony is fairly excellent way of figuring out whats a faux paux or not, already got on probation for an "hi I'm new" sort of post, funnily enough I knew better but did it unthinking through force of habit.

I consider this a secret blessing in disguise as it prevents me from making an even larger mistake.

I'm going to preemptively swear to never post in the politics forum, that screwed me over at TBOVerse I'm avoiding that inevitable highway to hell here, sticking clearly to the how to learn moonspeak thread and the subforums that are aligned with my core interests, anime, tabletop gaming, books, games and computers.

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne - my stuff has been viewed ~1 million times online. If you want to get visits and attention, I'd recommend learning SEO.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Leper colony is fairly excellent way of figuring out whats a faux paux or not, already got on probation for an "hi I'm new" sort of post, funnily enough I knew better but did it unthinking through force of habit.

I consider this a secret blessing in disguise as it prevents me from making an even larger mistake.

It's actually a good start. No, not even joking. SA will make you a better poster if you work in slowly like you planned.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.