FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Don't Piss off the Internet

Author Topic: Don't Piss off the Internet
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
The Day the Internet Threw a Righteous Hissyfit about Copyright and Pie

I've known about Gaudio's site for a while, and I can't believe the editor of this magazine thought it was an okay thing to do. I don't condone all of the harassment they've recieved, but I do think it's kind of cosmically hilarious that the internet provided the opportunity for them to violate her copyright, and then allowed her (and the Internet) to become aware of it.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
So when bloggers copy wholesale from print media, information just wants to be free. When it's the other way around, print media are evil bastards. Is that the basic gist?
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Are these bloggers making a dime when they do that? Is it trully wholesale or at least possibly justified under fair use?

In this case the Magazine has appeared to have a systemic pattern of taking articles and photos wholesale and only ever crediting the writers and not the source, genuinely thinking anything on the internet is "public domain", I'm skeptical in the claim that bloggers apparantly do it all the time and certain that this was a clear violation of copywrite and owes the damaged party monetary compensation.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
So when bloggers copy wholesale from print media, information just wants to be free. When it's the other way around, print media are evil bastards. Is that the basic gist?

Uh, no.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
There does seem to be an imbalance here between what is considered acceptable in print and what is considered acceptable on blogs. Bloggers presumably could make a dime the same way the magazine was - through advertising.

Is the problem here that the magazine took the information (meaning the recipe itself)? Or is the problem here that the magazine took the whole writeup of the recipe?

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
It has nothing to do with making a dime. However, the magazine took whole works and represented them as its own, while bloggers (who are behaving well, and this describes most bloggers with much of a following) take excerpts and provide commentary upon them.

The latter is handily protected under fair use. The former is not. There's really no confusion.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

It wasn't just a recipe, it was a 1300-word article that involved an amount of knowledge and research that was not insignificant.

Because it's the internet, you can find anything, including people who break laws relating to copyright on blogs. And yes, it is just as bad as offenders in print media.

[ November 05, 2010, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Bloggers may not post entire copyrighted works. If they do, they should be called on it. They are allowed to post excerpts if they use them as part of a commentary, which is protected under Fair Use. But even that may also be restricted if they are direct competitors of the source from which they acquired the copyrighted material, if they excerpt the integral part of the material, and if they make money off it. Then it's a judgment call by the court.

Just because vast amounts of the Internet swipes stuff doesn't make it legal, but generally only the really egregious cases get noticed. If the reposter gets called out and they apologize and pull it, no worries. If they get called out and defend their use, may or may not be a thing. If they get called out and say something boneheaded like the Internet is public domain, and continue to insist it despite overwhelming proof to the contrary, they deserve to have the Internet land on them.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, it does look like I was wrong. It's what I deserve for skimming on my break at work. I also didn't mean to impugn each and every blogger. Sorry.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

quote:
Bloggers may not post entire copyrighted works.
Not quite true; sometimes an entire work (usually when it is quite short) is acceptable to use under fair use (and has been found so by courts). A good guideline, though.

quote:
But even that may also be restricted if they are direct competitors of the source from which they acquired the copyrighted material
This bit is irrelevant. And whether or not they make money off of it usually only has to do with whether or not there are damages (though I think this might change at some point), not whether or not it is infringement (note: certain uses, such as being educational are considered moderating for the purposes of determining if there's infringement).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
It has nothing to do with making a dime. However, the magazine took whole works and represented them as its own,

I don't think that actually happened. It said that they credited her.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It represented that they had permission to publish them, then.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, and it was wrong. It is a pattern of behavior, too, so that editor should be fired.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
"Fired"? Is there any reason to think the magazine is owned by anyone but her?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
She should be fired from owning a magazine!
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
According to some summary pages that have been tracking this, some articles were posted verbatim under a different name (at least one of the people listed as writers for the magazine). I recall a WebMD article in particular, and IIRC, WebMD has been contacted and lays claim to it. So yeah, a lot of lifting without permission, but also alleged misattributions as well.
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not quite true; sometimes an entire work (usually when it is quite short) is acceptable to use under fair use (and has been found so by courts). A good guideline, though.
I could see that for educational use, or if it's a haiku or something and was posted along with a review of it or as part of an article about the author. But it would have be part of that larger article and thus be considered a transformational work; just reposting it would still be infringement.

quote:
This bit is irrelevant. And whether or not they make money off of it usually only has to do with whether or not there are damages (though I think this might change at some point), not whether or not it is infringement (note: certain uses, such as being educational are considered moderating for the purposes of determining if there's infringement).
But that's an essential part of the copyright law itself, mentioned in two of the four listed factors to be considered. § 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Italics mine. I work for a newspaper website. Someone swiping our articles and posting them on their personal blog that's based in Alaska is not going to affect our market much, and we'd probably send them a polite please-knock-it-off, here's-how-you-can-use-our-work-properly, thanks-for-reading-us sort of e-mail, even if they had ads on their site and were potentially profiting. If a local news site, one that's based in the same area we are and is trying for the same readers and same advertisers that we are, posted the exact same article then I submit that's a great deal more serious. Both are infringements, but the second one, due to the intent of the infringer and the possible market affect of the infringement, is the one we would go after legally as they were using our copyrighted work to benefit their company.

Same article, just as available to the world, both legally considered copyright infringements, but in the second case the additional factors of competition and loss of market value would weigh heavily in our favor.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

I wasn't saying what would affect your decisions to pursue or not, I was saying what would affect the legal determination. While economic concerns are part of the consideration, the extent to which the use is by a competitor isn't really part of it. Lots of things can make a copyright holder be more forgiving that have nothing to do with the legality of the situation.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

That said, it is amazing how many trained and experienced journalists and editors I've worked with who thought you could just take stuff from websites. Not articles, usually, but quite often I've had to explain that no, we can't just take pictures from Facebook pages or blogs without permission. We can use a snapshot of the entire visible webpage that contains that image, for news purposes, but that's it.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Wouldn't the fact that the use was by a competitor determine the intent of the infringement?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.