FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » XKCD surveys colours

Author Topic: XKCD surveys colours
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
http://blag.xkcd.com/2010/05/03/color-survey-results/

Hilarious.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. My favorite part was the male and female outlier labels and the random lengthy descriptions at the end.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a theory about why men were able to identify salmon and women just lumped it in with pink.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
*grin* now that you mention it, that is kinda funny... but yes, there are definitely some good arguments to be made about that!
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it was just the kind of week I've had, but when I read the "creative" name results, I actually laughed until I cried.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
I don't know if it was just the kind of week I've had, but when I read the "creative" name results, I actually laughed until I cried.

I'm still wiping the tears off my face. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I laughed way too hard at the names popular among men.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Rather than make anothe XKCD thread I thought I would add this here.

XKCD: Sickness or Atheism Eloquence.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Darth Rule of life #12:

Science works. If somebody tells you differently they are selling you something.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all the more poignant when you know that he HAS been dealing with difficult sickness-related issues in the recent past.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
As a scientist who has been involved in medical research and who is religious, all I can say is

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
It's all the more poignant when you know that he HAS been dealing with difficult sickness-related issues in the recent past.

Oh, didn't think of that.
I half-thought it was referring to Hitchen's struggle with cancer. Makes more sense your way.

But nice either way.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
As a scientist who has been involved in medical research and who is religious, all I can say is

[Roll Eyes]

Did you miss the part where he says, "I begrudge nobody their sources of solace"?

This strip isn't a blanket condemnation of religion, but a rebuttal to the idea that "even atheists believe in God in times of trouble/ sadness/ sickness." This is a rather pervasive idea in our society - and one that you must be able to see can be deeply offensive to non-believers.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.