FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Trolling Nigerian spammers, 1940s style!

Author Topic: Trolling Nigerian spammers, 1940s style!
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything old is new again; here is George Orwell on an amusement of his childhood:

quote:
EXAMINING recently a copy of Old Moore’s Almanac, I was reminded of the fun I used to extract in my boyhood from answering advertisements. Increase your height, earn five pounds a week in your spare time, drink habit conquered in three days, electric belts, bust-developers and cures for obesity, insomnia, bunions, backache, red noses, stammering, blushing, piles, bad legs, flat feet and baldness—all the old favourites were there or nearly all. Some of these advertisements have remained totally unchanged for at least thirty years.

You cannot, I imagine, get much benefit from any of these nostrums, but you can have a lot of fun by answering the advertisements and then, when you have drawn them out and made them waste a lot of stamps in sending successive wads of testimonials, suddenly leaving them cold.

Truly there is nothing new under the sun.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerpark27
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for deerpark27           Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed.
Eh-hem. Hrrumph. Sniff-sniff.
What is perhaps...newer...is the nature shape and destiny of our purported interlocutors. Far be it for me to speak for the ACME automatic, ether-powered, bedwetter or Colonel "Contiki" Sndemboontoo (Nigerian helicopter gunship salesperson) or even Orson Scott Card; but, George Orwell, at least, was dead by the time he left us all cold--and I, on the other hand (over here, the one waving in the mirror! Yes! That's me! No? Why? Well, I was born like that...Yes. Like a watermelon I've been told), from this very licked fingertip, send you another godforsaken greenhouse-forced dull-pinkish blooming Begonia!

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.