FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HP and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 (Mostly spoiler-free for now) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: HP and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 (Mostly spoiler-free for now)
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it incredible? Do you fall in love with a list of traits or something?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes--and or something. There are certain basics for compatibility. I would have never bothered dating someone with 50 points less IQ than I have--what could we talk about? So average ladies need not apply. She would have to be college-educated. I would prefer not to date someone who was not a member of my church--for some religions, this may not matter as much as others--but for my religion, it matters greatly in terms of basic cultural as well as spiritual compatibility. Some people do not even consider spiritual compatibility, and do not learn how much it matters until too late. Musical tastes should not be too far apart--so that we can at least stand each other's preferred music. I prefer classical, but can stand some pop music, down to the level of Simon and Garfunkel (when they were together). But I would make the sign of the Cross with my fingers and back away from any lady who liked rap "music." I also would not date a lady who was coarse-spoken, nor someone who was obviously selfish and even worse, manipulative control freaks.

Of course, even then, there are no guarantees. You can only hope to optimize your chances.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would have never bothered dating someone with 50 points less IQ than I have--what could we talk about? So average ladies need not apply.
Are you claiming an IQ of 150 or higher?
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. That is what it was measured at back in college. But I never took any of the advanced tests they give to people with higher I.Q.s to measure it more exactly. I only missed two questions on the whole test. My mother took the advanced tests just after graduating from high school (it took two days for all the tests), and her I.Q. was measured at 185.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I would make the sign of the Cross with my fingers and back away from any lady who liked rap "music."
Whereas I strongly suspect I would enjoying hanging out with a lady in her late '60s who likes rap music.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
But I would make the sign of the Cross with my fingers and back away from any lady who liked rap "music."
Whereas I strongly suspect I would enjoying hanging out with a lady in her late '60s who likes rap music.
Same for me.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

How much experience with rap music do you actually have, Ron? Measured in, say, minutes listened seriously listened to with a critical ear.

Because let me tell you, nothing screams intelligence like a man in his 60s who rejects entire genres of music out of hand. Like anyone, really, but man in his 60s is a nice stereotype for that sort of thing.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, let's be fair. We're talking about somebody who can tolerate pop music down to the level of Simon and Garfunkel, but not Paul Simon or Art Garfunkel individually. I'm not surprised that rap is off his radar.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

No, rap is on his radar. It's on as uniformly not just unlikable but religiously unlikable.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

For the record: I cannot believe that I put an apostrophe before "60s" in that post above. *slaps self*
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Just to be clear, I did not mean to imply I am in the market NOW for a date. I was talking about back when I was dating. Granted, a woman in her 60's who liked rap music would have to be very strange by virtually any measure.

Rakeesh, has it occurred to you that in 64 years I have heard all kinds of music, and have formed settled preferences? In addition to classical music, I do listen to many movie soundtracks done in a classical vein--like Lord of the Rings, Dances With Wolves, Titanic, Superman Returns, all the "Harry Potter" movie scores, etc. You see, my settled conviction is that I enjoy good melodies with good harmonies. That to me is what
Music is, by definition! Rap has neither. To me it is all rhythm, and shows no creativity that I feel is worthy of being called Art. You could probably transmit rap by telegraph. (I hope I haven't just inspired a new genre!)

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Ron, has it occurred to you that you didn't actually answer my question? The one where I asked how much time you've spent listening to rap music, to actually form an informed opinion, instead of relying on a settled one?

Your lack of a response actually is a response, really, and serves as the one I expected.

Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised at you Ron.

You say you can not imagine why Hermione would fall for Ron since their intelligence levels are so far apart.

You make two assumptions that I would not expect to come from you, but from some elitist.

1) Booksmart is the only smart. Ron's success at Chess, and to a lesser degree his success as a goalie are based on his intelligence. Don't forget that he was raised in a family that already had one book-smart older brother who bored the daylights out of everyone. Ron turned away from being book-smart--from reading all the time, but he has a natural intelligence that Hermione found.

2) Intelligence is the most important aspect of a person. Hermione does not fall in love with Ron's intelligence. She falls for his heart--his loyalty, friendship, bravery, and all around Griffyndorishness. Remember that Hermionie for all her book smarts, was not put in Ravenclaw. She was put in Griffyndor because she had a heart that responded and reflected those traits--brave, honest, caring.

The semi-consummation of their romance did not occur when Ron suddenly spouted some arcane bit of intelligence. It was when he proved his heart by caring about the safety of the Hogwartz House Elves.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Why you all talkin' about Ron's love life? [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I think Ron is just a terrible person. He's just a jerk really. He's just a mean guy. Harry will respond with sarcasm and derision if someone provokes him and messes with him first. Ron is constantly just making fun of others in really quite heartless ways.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

What would Hermione and Ron Weasley ever have to talk about?

Rakeesh, I would have to be very limited in my intelligence if I could not discern how utterly disgusting and unmusical rap is very quickly, at least to my tastes. Some people take 25 years of life (or more) before they really begin to "find" themselves. If they get married before that point, their marriage is probably doomed. Each person is different in how long it takes to find themselves. But as old as I am, I have had time to decide for all time and eternity what I like and dislike in most things--particularly music. I "found" myself long ago, and confirmed and reconfirmed it.

If God allows you into Heaven, and you still like rap music when you get there, then of course I would be glad to be your neighbor. Make that distant neighbor.

Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a fan of rap generally speaking, but I think your problem is that you are working with too narrow an idea of what constitutes music.

quote:
You see, my settled conviction is that I enjoy good melodies with good harmonies. That to me is what Music is, by definition! Rap has neither. To me it is all rhythm, and shows no creativity that I feel is worthy of being called Art.
There's no real basis for that definition, and while you may not prefer any one type of musical style over against another- to say that it is not art is foolish in the extreme. What about things like atonalism or other non-Western styles of music that focuses less on issues like harmony? Are they also not music?

Just the basic Wikipedia definition of music:
quote:
Music is an art form whose medium is sound. Common elements of music are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture.
Also it concerns me that even after the eschaton has been fully realized and broken into reality- you'd want someone to remain distant from you simply by virtue of their preference of music. That seems antithetical to the values of the kingdom.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody should change the name of this thread to the "Harry Potter Shipping debate."

Seriously, In most ways I liked the movie better than the previous ones, but they should have spent more money on CGI for Dobbie. There were times when I could tell that the actors were shaking hands with/holding a ragdoll or marionette. And his facial expressions were absolutely plastic.

I was also disappointed in his death scene. Radcliffe has shown before that he just doesn't have the emotional range to carry that kind of scene. It should have been handled differently from a directorial standpoint. I would have had Griphook watching and noting Harry's treatment of Dobbie's burial, for one thing. (and my daughter points out that Harry's line "Bury him without magic" was an unnecessary telegraph. Better to let Griphook inform us of that than Harry.

Also, although the scene with the knife going into the disapparating effects was visually effective, it telegraphed the upcoming death and destroyed the scene on the beach where they are looking around to see if everyone is ok.

And finally, the part of the book that hit me the hardest was Dobbie's epitaph. How could they leave that out?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
P.P.S.

And Dobbie should have been wearing clothes, not a pillowcase. At least two hats and three socks.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
That's all well and good, but who do you think Dobbie should go out with?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Hermione should have to deal with an increasingly awkward attraction for him. Unfortunately Dobbie is clearly gay for Harry.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a fan-made song and video, well done and pretty funny with a bit of Twilight hate.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

I finally obtained the DVD. Hooray--it does include the deleted scene I wanted to see, where Dudley Dursley walks up to Harry and holds out his hand and says, "I don't think you're a waste of space." (He did NOT add, "You saved my life." But that was OK. He said enough.) Harry then replied somewhat bemusedly, "See you around." Too bad they then made Dudley walk in such a goofy, uncoordinated way, back to the car where the Dursleys were about to leave. It was a redeeming moment for Dudley. They should not have had him tripping his way back to the car like an uncoordinated goof, since in previous episodes it was made obvious that Dudley was involved in sports, and had replaced a lot of his fat with muscle. Too bad the scene was left out of the movie.

The running time for the movie on the disk is 2:25:56.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read the book. I was pretty satisfied with it despite the last three hundred pages being a little wonky, but whatever.

Pleasantly suprised about how focused it was on Dumbledore. Need to see the movie.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.