FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Book recommendations for 9 year old

Author Topic: Book recommendations for 9 year old
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you could help me out. I want to buy my 9 year old neice some books for Christmas but I'm out of ideas!

She has just finished and loved the Lemony Snicket - Series of Unfortunate Events. She says she loves the humour and the black comedy.

Do you have any recommendations of something similar?

Thanks in advance,
FB

Posts: 570 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when I was that age I read anything by William Sleator. (actually, I read some of the Lemony Snicket books then too)

I think Interstellar Pig by Sleator was pretty fun, but he's a sci-fi YA author, so i dont know if she likes sci-fi

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My teenager recommended Frank Beddor's Looking Glass Wars series and The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roald Dahl
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dealing with Dragons was my favorite book ever at that age.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everybody Poops.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice, Orin. [Roll Eyes]

firebird, has she read the Dalemark Quartet or any of the Young Wizards books?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another recommendation - Percy Jackson and the Olympians (series)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bartimaeus Trilogy.

http://www.bartimaeustrilogy.com/

Posts: 3825 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!

Lots of recommendations which are very much appreciated. William Sleator in particular looks good. She seems to take against anything with animals in it and I need to check about magic / sci-fi themes.

Thanks again!

Posts: 570 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Everybody Poops.

She could just watch the movie!
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Around that age I was a big fan of the Great Brain series.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.