FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PSA: Have an FSA? Remember, OTC drug rules change January 1! Buy your meds now.

Author Topic: PSA: Have an FSA? Remember, OTC drug rules change January 1! Buy your meds now.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.staho.com/the-new-year-brings-changes-in-drug-payment-rules/207165/

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=227308,00.html

http://www.americanpayroll.org/newFSArules

Of note, if you use an FSA debit/credit card, the IRS is not requiring them to comply until January 15. However, individual stores and/or FSA plan providers may stick to January 1.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for reminder. I cleared mine out a while ago (2 ER trips for husband plus the pregnancy/birth thing) but appreciate reminders of these things even when they don't apply this time to me. Last year we did have to do an OTC shopping trip the last week of Dec.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you should define FSA, as it took me some time to figure out what it meant.

I was pretty sure I could rule out "Federation of South Arabia", "Fellows of the Society of Actuaries" and "Flying Saucer Attack".

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Perhaps you should define FSA, as it took me some time to figure out what it meant.

If you don't know what it means, odds are exceedingly good you do not have one.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
:looks down:

I don't *think* I have one... but how can I be sure?

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
You have until December 12 to get one for next year.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I was really bummed about that. I enjoyed our annual visits to CVS pharmacy to stock up on toilet paper, toothpaste, and advil for the year.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Toilet paper and toothpaste weren't eligible for FSAs before this.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:

Aren't you employed by a non-US employer?
Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Toilet paper and toothpaste weren't eligible for FSAs before this.

Then CVS is out some money, because they let me use it for those items.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

And your FSA provider hasn't demanded receipts? (It's actually their headache, not CVS'.)

The only toothpaste that is allowed is prescription (e.g., Prevident). And tissues and toilet paper have never been allowed. FYI, your FSA provider has quite some time to come after you and demand receipts.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:

Aren't you employed by a non-US employer?
meh-beh.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
And your FSA provider hasn't demanded receipts? (It's actually their headache, not CVS'.)

The only toothpaste that is allowed is prescription (e.g., Prevident). And tissues and toilet paper have never been allowed. FYI, your FSA provider has quite some time to come after you and demand receipts.

/shrug its been almost a year now. We usually go the first week of January. I'm willing to pay the $8 for the toilet paper if they really want it. Our FSA didn't use receipts, we got a debit card, and if there is anything deemed not eligible they are supposed to bill me.

The toothpaste was for sensitive teeth, and I did have a prescription prior, so maybe Aetna just decided me buying non prescription toothpaste with my own FSA money is better than paying for prescription toothpaste.

By all means though, if they want me to pay it, I'd be happy to. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

Could be your provider just didn't demand a receipt for some reason. I know mine is quite odd about what it does and does not demand receipts on.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.