FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Programming-related mayfly

Author Topic: Programming-related mayfly
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to get a piece of software to install on a computer that locks access to the C drive. I can get as far as installing the software, but it doesn't run because it looks for files in the C drive when the program starts, and since it can't find them, it aborts. I have learned that the software reads the variable set with CSIDL_COMMON_DOCUMENTS to determine where to look for the file it needs to read. If I can somehow change this variable, I can put the files it needs in a different directory and have the software run seamlessly.

So what I'm asking is if anyone knows if it's possible to change this CSIDL_COMMON_DOCUMENTS variable (apparently the WinAPI uses it), preferably with C++ or Java. It is apparently the final obstacle to getting this software running. If not, I'll keep at it with my google-fu, but I've been at this for weeks.

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an article on environmental variables on XP. IIRC, changing them is mostly the same on vista.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
have the software run seamlessly
Famous last words! You should not believe that any bug is the last bug until you've actually made the software run. [Smile]

Point to note: This is not very programming-related, it's administrative.

Further point: If anything else in your system relies on that env variable, you're likely to break it. Make a mental note, and perhaps a system-restore, in case you see any weird behaviour elsewhere.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
CSIDL_COMMON_DOCUMENTS isn't an environmental variable, but it typically points to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents. I'd bet that it is possible to change it, but probably not without administrator access, which you probably don't have since you can't write to the C drive.

Perhaps you should consider that one of the reasons that C drive access is blocked is probably to prevent you from installing things?

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.