FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Maccabeats

Author Topic: The Maccabeats
David G
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for David G   Email David G         Edit/Delete Post 
Link. Happy Channukah!
Posts: 195 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
David, was this totally random or do you know Armoth?

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=057735;p=0&r=nfx

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
If that managed to be totally random, that was hella viral.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David G
Member # 8872

Ah, sorry for missing Armoth's topic and re-posting this. My bad.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David G
Member # 8872

It was random. My wife sent me this video today.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by David G:
Ah, sorry for missing Armoth's topic and re-posting this. My bad.

I suspect Armoth would find your posting this independently awesome enough to justify itself.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anyone could pay Armoth a better compliment than that.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
I don't think anyone could pay Armoth a better compliment than that.

True story.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
New York Post - Festival of Lights burns up charts with Hanukkah YouTube sensation
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
AHHHHHH DID THAT JUST HAPPEN?!?!?!?!?
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's... All kinds of crazy awesome...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Please, please, please make your next song "It doesn't do anything; that's the beauty of it." [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Please, please, please make your next song "It doesn't do anything; that's the beauty of it." [Wink]

+1
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David G
Member # 8872

quote:

That's so weird. I think I actually have heard that exact line from somewhere, although I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
AHHHHHH DID THAT JUST HAPPEN?!?!?!?!?

I have tried to show this video to several (frum) people today. Including my ex.

They'd all seen it already.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
That's so weird. I think I actually have heard that exact line from somewhere, although I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it.
I can't tell whether you're joking or not.

[ December 02, 2010, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: Raymond Arnold ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by David G:
quote:

[ROFL]

Here we go AGAIN!

(BTW, Tom...I thought of that phrase when I first read this thread, but I restrained myself.)

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Armoth, was this done 100% a capella? I mean, it sounds like there are actual instruments, but I know that Mike Tomkins' version of "Dynamite" sounded like that as well, and his was all a capella.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I swear I saw one of the guys in the video beatboxing, but it still sounds there's an electronic sound somewhere in the background.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Armoth, was this done 100% a capella? I mean, it sounds like there are actual instruments, but I know that Mike Tomkins' version of "Dynamite" sounded like that as well, and his was all a capella.

Yup. All acapella. Tomorrow night at our concert with Matisyahu we're gonna do a breakdown on stage. We have a guy who can do the synth noises really great. There are effects, reverb and the like, but it's just us.

There are two beatboxers in the vid. See if you can spot them.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I swear I saw one of the guys in the video beatboxing, but it still sounds there's an electronic sound somewhere in the background.

That's the synth. Guy in top left green box at :59 who looks like an idiot? That's how he makes that noise. There are some layering and effects, like Tompkins, but that's him.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering what ever happened with your audition with NBCs Sing Off. Last I heard you had signed a contract but still didn't know for certain if you would be accepted. Are you still in Limbo on that? If so, I wonder if all the publicity over this video will be a plus or a minus.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

This morning on the news (NBC5 in Chicago), they had a segment where they were showing how to make different kinds of latkes (almost none of which qualify as latkes as far as I'm concerned), but in the intro to the segment, they were playing Candlelight in the background.
Armoth
Member # 4752

We weren't accepted to the singoff. Thanks for the NBC heads up.

Just got off the phone with CBS. They want us Sunday morning, but now bc the "video exploded" they're probably sending a crew up for our concert tonight.

Lisa
Member # 8384

I bet the singoff people are kicking themselves now.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Armoth, had you posted the link to the bloopers/behind the scenes clip?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it interesting, that the piano is so difficult to imitate by voice. In both your video and Mike Tompkins, the drums, snares, symbols, synthesizer and even the base sound like real instruments, but the "doo doo doo doo", sounds like singing and not a bit like a piano (at least to me).
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Bass.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Bass.

Yup, my bad.
August
Member # 12307

- posted      Profile for August   Email August         Edit/Delete Post 
Armoth-

It's viral, both around my friends here in Maine and at home! I can only beam with pride when they show me the video, as it's rather complicated explaining the 'Hatrack Connection'. Even my high school a cappella group sent it around! That's so AWESOME!

Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
August
Member # 12307

- posted      Profile for August   Email August         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops, sorry I didn't see that there already was a new thread dedicated to the fame of the video. Hah!
Posts: 47 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.