FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » WoW: Cataclysm

Author Topic: WoW: Cataclysm
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently got a two month gamecard. Then I almost immediately regretted it, because although the revamped world is pretty cool, I have pretty much no friends still playing. So I'm curious who plays here and what they're up to.

I have a level 80 main on Cenarion Circle. I have a bunch of alts on myriad other servers (each of which was supposed to be played with friends on that server, but never really ended up happening). I'd prefer to start from level 1 to experience all the new content in order anyway.

I'm particularly hoping to find some people on an RP server, although I don't really expect to. I've been wanting for a while to play an angsty undead priest feeling betrayed by the Light, but sitting around being angsty by yourself isn't nearly as fun as following around other people being angsty at them. [Razz]

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Swap over to Blackrock, its a pvp server and me and my friends play there we're our own little 10 man guild but actually have a really skilled "Stop Having Fun Guys" player who knows absolutely everything and what to do so we're able to still do raid content.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure if I will get into WoW. It seems that you have to pay a monthly fee and I hate fees. In what way is it worth playing?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
It's worth it if you have people to play with, otherwise you might as well be playing Dragon Age. If you don't have people to play with but are good at making friends and finding people to play with, it may also be worth it.

Right now is a pretty good time to get a 10-day trial, since Cataclysm just came out, the world got revamped and the whole game became more accessible to new players.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Technically from a money per gametime ratio WoW and most MMOs are a good deal its problematic once you become more of a casual player.

I like it sorta for its story, so if you buy thegame(s) and play for say 1 month and get a character to 85 and tried just about everything you should have your monies worth, give or take 1 or 2 months extra to be thorough (so roughly 120$) after that unless you want to keep going for the social experience then you could safely cancel your subscription with at worst breaking even for money per enjoyment.

This is where I like EVE where you can be successful ingame and use your ingame success to pay for your subsciption.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Random note: Does anyone know how to move your chat and combat log boxes? They're stuck on top of each other and I can't find the setting to fix them.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I started a mage immediatly after WOTLK and even played to 80 without any help. After hitting the cap, affording epic flying, and spending the time to get a rare mount plus decent PvP gear... I found nothing to do that I hadnt done to death. The new landscape could be worth checking out but I dont like how Bliz has changed somethings.

Edited, sorry.

[ December 05, 2010, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: AchillesHeel ]

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
but I dont like how Bliz has changed the somethings.
That is grammatically hilarious.
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
The major downside to the new dungeon party system is it is SO much harder to meet friendly people on your own server. That's one of the best ways to make new friends and find a guild full of great people.

I don't recall offhand how to move the boxes, but I'd give shift-click-dragging a try, or right click on the name of the box and see if the pop-up menu has something sensible.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

By the way it looks like you can move the chat and combat boxes just by dragging from the name of the box.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have to pay back 5000 gold to someone on cenarion circle, so I'm forced to eventually play this game again.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dabbler:
The major downside to the new dungeon party system is it is SO much harder to meet friendly people on your own server. That's one of the best ways to make new friends and find a guild full of great people.

If you have a decent tank or healer, jump into trade chat and offer to group up for the queue. You'll quite likely get at least one taker, and it's probably easier than trying to get a full heroic pug going.

Of course, this was a bit easier at the end of wrath when randoms were a cakewalk, but it might still work in cata if you're willing to be patient.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
I still have to pay back 5000 gold to someone on cenarion circle, so I'm forced to eventually play this game again.

You have my sincerest sympathies. [Group Hug]
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne. Sam.

Now I've found your REAL LIFE passion.

World of Warcraft.

You guys are leeeeeeeeeeeet.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
You may have to unlock the chat window to separate them. Just right click on the little title tab (eg "General" or "Combat Log" and click "Unlock Window."

Then to separate them you just drag the combat log tab away from the general chat window.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, THOR, it's amusing to see you so gleefully seize on that as though it proves something:)
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I just started playing in May, as a way to have something fun to do with my boyfriend while I'm away at school. Started on Malfurion, recently faction/server changed over to Hellscream (I'm Alliance now). I have some friends on this server, and I've MADE some friends in a guild I happened to find (if you want, I could give you their website).

If you think about it, you're not paying a monthly fee for the game--you're paying a monthly fee for the server. I know there's a way to play on a private server, but I'm not entirely sure how legal it is, and you can't access any of the other servers that way.

Anyway, Hellscream and Malfurion are both PvE servers, but I do have a couple friends and an alt (Horde) on Twisting Nether (RPPvP server, though I've never done the rp end). I can give you the names of my main and alts, if you want. Just let me know.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
I do a lot of lurking here.

I have jumped in and out of WoW. The highest I've ever gotten a character was 68 on Burning Legion before switching over to Dragonmaw (because that's where some of my friends were, but now they won't answer my texts so I can't hook up with them)where I have a level 56 shaman.

I am perfectly content doing mindlessly repetitive tasks in video games if I think they're cool enough (I liked jumping over rooftops in Assassins Creed). And I'm perfectly content moving really slowly through video games (I don't even understand how someone gets to level 80 on WoW within a few days or so).

Needless to say, I know several people who tout WoW's social aspect, but I've never seen that aspect. I didn't even play a dungeon until the dungeon finder tool came out. Am I missing an aspect of the game that makes it more fun; and if so, how much more fun does it make it?

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Danlo the Wild:
Blayne. Sam.

Now I've found your REAL LIFE passion.

World of Warcraft.

You guys are leeeeeeeeeeeet.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

I really don't know how to proceed in the face of a mentally ill man deciding he wants to follow me from thread to thread in order to try to mock me. I guess I'll wait for an official response?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Hey what's the easiest way for a scrub with no resources for market manipulation and no maxed trades to earn 5k in this game? I want to pretty much be in and out of this in a weekend. Also I will do comics for 500g a pop. Or sexual favors. Or carl castle's voice on your voicemail or
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. I'm a bit too solitary and lone wolfish for such a social game, I think...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

- posted      Profile for Danlo the Wild   Email Danlo the Wild         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam -

You're kind of like 'That guy' who is always in the Trade Channel being snarky.

Why would anyone ever role Horde?

I've probably got the leetest Paladin in the game.

He's been a healer 99% of his 4 year life.

Healers hold all of the power.

Paladins are the one true Hero class.

Posts: 377 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

Sam, also.

Not everything is about you.

Seeing that I have an 80 Paladin, Rogue and Mage, i've got a bit of an interest in Cataclysm.

Pissed at Blizzard, they've given no new content or reason to play since IceCrownCitadel came out. that'd over a year. So i haven't played in a while.

I'll try Cata. We will see for how long.

xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to be getting Cata right when it comes out, you'll probably be able to make fantastic money from gathering professions over the first few days (and beyond, but especially the first few days). Leveling mining can be done pretty quickly (as in you learn it fresh and cap it out in an afternoon), and it supports Jewelcrafting and Blacksmithing, which are both extremely popular professions among the more hardcore raider types who will be trying to power level their new professions as soon as they hit 85.

You can also make a ton of gold just leveling a new character. Always pick and sell the most expensive quest reward (unless it's a significant upgrade). If you do this paired with gathering professions as you're leveling you can make quite a bit of money over a few days of reasonably heavy playtime spent leveling a character.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

All three of my 80's are alchemists.
They transmute a gem a day

that's 500g a day.

woot.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by xtownaga:
If you're going to be getting Cata right when it comes out, you'll probably be able to make fantastic money from gathering professions over the first few days (and beyond, but especially the first few days). Leveling mining can be done pretty quickly (as in you learn it fresh and cap it out in an afternoon), and it supports Jewelcrafting and Blacksmithing, which are both extremely popular professions among the more hardcore raider types who will be trying to power level their new professions as soon as they hit 85.

You can also make a ton of gold just leveling a new character. Always pick and sell the most expensive quest reward (unless it's a significant upgrade). If you do this paired with gathering professions as you're leveling you can make quite a bit of money over a few days of reasonably heavy playtime spent leveling a character.

This all takes a bit more investment than I'm thinking I have time for. I just basically have to hop in with my 80, grind the cash, and get out. I won't be able to get my trades up for it, either.

Advantage, though: I have maxed out gear from a kajillion pvp/battlegrounds fights.

Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I am on Frostwolf. I guess you could consider me hardcore. I've done a lot of the hard modes in ICC 25, have about 8,000 achievement points, and am fully geared. Name is Vaniel.

As soon as I get home I will be taking a nap, then waking up at 11:00 PM to get ready for the midnight launh. I've got a bag of apples, two bunches of bananas, diet green tea, a big bag of mixed nuts, and two salads. I figure if I am going to stay up all night I want to eat healthy foods instead of energy drinks.

I'm logged out right in front of the new Blackrock Caverns instance with 4 of my guildmates. We are going to log in, go into the instance to get attuned, then I'll open a portal to Dalaran so we can train our flying skill and then go turn in 25 daily quests that we have completed prior. Then its off to Vashj'ir to that instance. Then we will run instances until 82, hit Deepholm until 84, then finish up in Uldum. We hope to be server first.

If anyone is looking for a guild and doesn't mind switching servers, you can come to Frostwolf and I can get you into my guild. It is Alliance side, the guild name is Serenity. We are one of the top 5 guilds on the server. Just whisper me if you like, or add me onto your REALID list. vanielmage@gmail.com is my battle.net real id.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

On my server, all herbs after the very beginning (earthroot, briarthorn) are between 1-2g each. Go herb those and sell them for profit.

You can play AH with no professions but you need to understand your server economy pretty well to take the chance.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Up through Burning Crusade, I made more money buying and selling things on Auction than I ever did actually playing (the whole notion of "grinding for gold" always seemed silly to me, especially if you were an actual gold farmer).

That changed around WotLK, when the value of dropped items finally passed by the value you could expect to make off the AH.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I still remember the good old days where you had to farm outside of a rigorous raiding schedule because all those repair bills and flasks were a huge gold sink.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I play WoW because my RL friends play it fairly often and raiding with your friends is fairly enjoyable.

But I get much more satisfaction from EVE as being the only place I can actually act cocky towards people who bad mouthed me on other forums.

Such as hilariously when one such person threatened my CEO to get him boot me for things I may have or may not have said on a certain other forum.

It's cathartic to watch someone crash and burn trying to get back at you even in a game where its socially and mechanically acceptable and possible to do so and yet still fail.

Although it is worrisome when said person ends up stalking you and at some point joined the same alliance as you... That is the point I start sending peace feelers.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:

[ 2010.01.07 00:19:52 ] Kainos Kerensky > o/
[ 2010.01.07 00:20:08 ] Merin Ryskin > I would like to discuss one of your players, Shi Lang
[ 2010.01.07 00:20:19 ] Kainos Kerensky > Go ahead
[ 2010.01.07 00:20:22 ] Merin Ryskin > Do you know him very well?
[ 2010.01.07 00:20:45 ] Kainos Kerensky > Not "very" but we have gotten to know him a bit... why
[ 2010.01.07 00:20:56 ] Merin Ryskin > He's been posting some really stupid threads on a forum I read.
[ 2010.01.07 00:21:03 ] Merin Ryskin > Kind of embarrassing your alliance, honestly.
[ 2010.01.07 00:21:05 ] Kainos Kerensky > may i get a link please
[ 2010.01.07 00:21:21 ] Merin Ryskin > http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 4&t=139310
[ 2010.01.07 00:21:39 ] Merin Ryskin > Long story short, I'd like to see him removed from your corp.
[ 2010.01.07 00:26:21 ] Kainos Kerensky > Short story put even shorter, your wishes wants and ideas dont dictate what I do with my members. And thats a ten page long topic, Im not going to sit there and sift through it looking for something he said that upset you.
[ 2010.01.07 00:28:07 ] Merin Ryskin > How unfortunate.
[ 2010.01.07 00:28:20 ] Merin Ryskin > I would prefer to resolve it without resorting to a war dec, but he's going to die.
[ 2010.01.07 00:29:13 ] Kainos Kerensky > A war dec you say?
[ 2010.01.07 00:29:23 ] Kainos Kerensky > How many corps will be war decing me
[ 2010.01.07 00:29:41 ] Merin Ryskin > As many as it takes to kill him.
[ 2010.01.07 00:29:54 ] Merin Ryskin > I don't care about you or the rest of your corp.
[ 2010.01.07 00:31:14 ] Kainos Kerensky > who is stark
[ 2010.01.07 00:31:50 ] Merin Ryskin > Guy on the forums.
[ 2010.01.07 00:34:19 ] Kainos Kerensky > and who are you on the forums
[ 2010.01.07 00:34:36 ] Merin Ryskin > Why would I tell you that?
[ 2010.01.07 00:37:33 ] Kainos Kerensky > Because im reading this and as of yet I havnt read anything Shi Lang has said that has been offensive or stupid, mind you im only on page 4... but so far Stark has been a complete an utter prick and instigator\
[ 2010.01.07 00:38:01 ] Kainos Kerensky > as well as Mr. Coffee.... whos personality is in tune with his asshat looking photo
[ 2010.01.07 00:38:55 ] Merin Ryskin > Well, how sad that you don't see it, but honestly, I don't really care about your sympathy.
[ 2010.01.07 00:39:31 ] Merin Ryskin > I'm going to kill him until he goes back to WoW one way or another, I'm just offering you a nice easy way to avoid the consequences of his actions getting you or your other members killed.
[ 2010.01.07 00:39:41 ] Kainos Kerensky > Im really curious who you think you are
[ 2010.01.07 00:39:58 ] Kainos Kerensky > Other than a low sec gank pilot
[ 2010.01.07 00:40:08 ] Merin Ryskin > A high sec gank pilot.
[ 2010.01.07 00:40:21 ] Kainos Kerensky > Oh my apologies
[ 2010.01.07 00:40:23 ] Merin Ryskin > With friends who are high sec gank pilots.
[ 2010.01.07 00:41:07 ] Kainos Kerensky > How about you tell me who you are on there, so I can see where he has apparently upset you, or are you just hiding that because your part of the problem on there, or the person that is having issues with his plain and sound comments.
[ 2010.01.07 00:41:19 ] Merin Ryskin > I haven't been posting there.
[ 2010.01.07 00:41:23 ] Merin Ryskin > I've just had to read his stupidity.
[ 2010.01.07 00:42:14 ] Kainos Kerensky > Its not stupidity... in the least. Theres 3 posters on there flaming and expressing there own immature ego over a pilot who was posting nothing of any type of harm
[ 2010.01.07 00:42:45 ] Merin Ryskin > And let's be honest, this guy isn't really contributing anything to your corp anyway.
[ 2010.01.07 00:42:49 ] Kainos Kerensky > Get me an example of stupidity and ill take care of it. but as of 4 pages in all he has done in talk about the game, and get flamed by people who want to talk high and mighty and be completly rediculous
[ 2010.01.07 00:43:00 ] Kainos Kerensky > Ill decide if my members are contributing to my corp, not you
[ 2010.01.07 00:44:00 ] Merin Ryskin > Well, then I suppose I'll have to decide how best to kill him.
[ 2010.01.07 00:44:21 ] Merin Ryskin > Like I said, I'm not really concerned with your understanding, I'm just offering you the easy way out so the rest of your members don't have to die.
[ 2010.01.07 00:45:05 ] Merin Ryskin > Remove him from the corp, and you'll never hear from me again.
[ 2010.01.07 00:45:10 ] Kainos Kerensky > You really dont scare us, especially in 0.0. Do what you like. its clear your immature just like the other posters who are just flaming to boost their own epeen and prepubescent ego
[ 2010.01.07 00:45:17 ] Kainos Kerensky > How about this....
[ 2010.01.07 00:45:52 ] Kainos Kerensky > I give you the bird, tell you to suck my over inflated egotistical ****, and we call it even... or... even this, you do all the above, come to 0.0, and i pod kill you daily and **** all over you and your pathetic high sec ganking nublet friends
[ 2010.01.07 00:46:26 ] Merin Ryskin > Lol. Good luck with that, considering my target hides in highsec.
[ 2010.01.07 00:46:55 ] Merin Ryskin > At least his main does. I'm still not 100% sure whether this is my war dec target or if he has a better one to gank.
[ 2010.01.07 00:47:23 ] Kainos Kerensky > See your pods on my kilboard, and corpses in my cargo hold soon my prissy little friend. And enjoy wasting that isk on the war dec. It doesnt bother me in any shape or form.
[ 2010.01.07 00:47:56 ] Merin Ryskin > See above. I don't care about you.
[ 2010.01.07 00:48:02 ] Merin Ryskin > Only your little highsec carebear friend.
[ 2010.01.07 00:48:41 ] Kainos Kerensky > Ill be there to protect my members. Mainly because your threats not only dont worry me in the slightest, but they make me laugh at your attempts to coax me into removing one of my pilots.
[ 2010.01.07 00:48:58 ] Merin Ryskin > Honestly, your corp's K/D ratio woudl be better off without him.
[ 2010.01.07 00:49:23 ] Merin Ryskin > Think of it this way, I'm doing you a favor.
[ 2010.01.07 00:49:25 ] Kainos Kerensky > Oh i think it will get better since he seems to upset you so much. Considering this war dec means we can kill you on sight if we come to high sec.
[ 2010.01.07 00:49:35 ] Kainos Kerensky > Yep, your paying concord to let me pvp you... i like it
[ 2010.01.07 00:49:42 ] Kainos Kerensky > ill have to return the favor by removing you from your ship
[ 2010.01.07 00:49:51 ] Merin Ryskin > Good luck with that one....

[Big Grin] Hehehe

emergancy edit: uuuh one sec editing out swearing just noticed.

Edit done, I think I removed the offensive language, been a while and I didn't reread it until after I posted.

The above thing goes on ALL THE TIME in EVE and is the principle reason why I play, the drama is awesome to see it unfold in ways that makes the Korean incident look trivial in comparison.

aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey what's the easiest way for a scrub with no resources for market manipulation and no maxed trades to earn 5k in this game? I want to pretty much be in and out of this in a weekend. Also I will do comics for 500g a pop. Or sexual favors. Or carl castle's voice on your voicemail or

Pick two gathering professions then sell a lot in the auction house. Or pick inscription and sell glyphs
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Blayne, I don't think I ever told you, but I started playing EVE a few months back. I'm in a carebear corp right now because mining fits my schedule best (lots of paper writing while ice harvesters cycle). But, I'm slowly but surely working up the skills to get in to PVP, or at the very least some more serious PVE, should my schedule ever allow it.

I'm Dakoit. You should hit me up some time, we could mission or something together.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:

In this particular respect, Danlo's probably right. Alchemy transmutes are a decent way to get easy, reliable profit. Epic gems were good for in excess of 100 per cooldown, not to mention the value of procs if you were transmute specialized. The gem market has obviously tanked at the moment, but cata transmutes will undoubtedly be quick and decent gold.

Other professions may be more profitable overall, but alchemy transmutes provide their benefits for only a minute or so per day.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

By the way, making 5k in a weekend is really tough because you need to vary your goods. You'll flood the market with 5k in gathering items unless it's very spread out.

Even glyphs, I'd expect a full scribe to make maybe 1k a day with some aggressive posting. Could push that to 2k if you're willing to sit and repost auctions all day long.

Here are some more concrete suggestions:
1. Go through your bank alt, or your character, for every little non-BOP item that you no longer need. Check the AH and post it if the deposit price is sensible.

2. Check the gathering mat prices for any gathering professions you have. Try out an hour of gathering and see how much gold you made in that hour, given current AH prices. I'd say 200g/hr is a reasonable goal.

3. Go quest with your highest level character. Some people swear by the dailies and quest method.

4. If you're feeling lucky, try farming one of the major non combat pets: Dark/Crimson/Emerald/Azure Whelplings, Disgusting Oozeling, Firefly. Expect farming for a drop to take about 4 hours. On my server, all those guys are going for 5k-8k so it's a possible score for you.

ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by dabbler:
By the way, making 5k in a weekend is really tough because you need to vary your goods. You'll flood the market with 5k in gathering items unless it's very spread out.

Even glyphs, I'd expect a full scribe to make maybe 1k a day with some aggressive posting. Could push that to 2k if you're willing to sit and repost auctions all day long.

Depends, of course, on the week in question. During the 4.0.1 week, I heard reports of people making well in excess of 50k gold.*

This week should be a pretty good one for making gold. There's likely to be a lot of people rushing to cap their crafting professions as soon as possible so that they can cash in on the rush to gear up for the new heroics and raid content. So for a while, gathering professions should be very lucrative.

Also, do the cooking dailies. The crates you can buy with the chef rewards currently sell for a lot, but that will probably go down quickly once cata is released.

*Personally, I had limited stock and only threw everything up once in a 48 hour post, but still made several thousand, plus another 20 some thousand posting gems. For someone on a large server with some decent preparation, the huge numbers I saw seem totally plausible.

[ December 06, 2010, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: ricree101 ]

Danlo the Wild
Member # 5378

So how is it!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
You can tell they are all playing it because they don't have time to post.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol, it appears the queues are back on some servers. I don't miss those at all.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
When it all goes down for maintenance they will finally sleep, eat and realize that key people of thier personal life are missing.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I missed server first mage by about an hour.

I slept until 11:00, logged in at midnight, and went to turn in 25 daily quests so I could have a 600,000 EXP bonus.....except...They didn't give any experience! I was so mad! I thought "No big deal, if they don't grant experience then no one else will be ahead either!"

Well, 5 minutes later, Blizzard hotfixed it and everyone that turned in the dailies from that point forward got XP from it. So I lost out on a third of a level.

My group and I ran Blackrock Caverns over and over until we all hit level 82. That took about 2 or 3 hours. Once we hit level 82, the amount of XP needed to 83 jumped to 4 million XP!

We went to Deepholm and started questing there. I did every quest and I was halfway through 83 when I was done. I headed to Uldum and started doing quests there. I hit 84. Then I went to Twilight Highlands and finished up there. I hit 85 at 5:00 PM PST. It took me a total of 17 hours. First Alliance mage but second on the server. >.<

The XP needed to level is something like this:

80-81 = 1.2 million XP
81-82 = 1.8 million XP
82-83 = 4.1 million XP
83-84 = 5.6 million XP
84-85 = 9.1 million XP

I don't know why it jumped so much for 84-85, but at least all of the quests were fun. I need to go back and do Hyjal and Vashjir now, I completely skipped those zones.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Horde characters on Dunemaul and Alliance on Antoditas (however that is spelled)
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I might just back in for this, although I am not sure. I enjoyed it, but I think my highest level was a level 66 or 67 mage.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Worgen starting zone is the business. Darkshore has gone from being one of the worst zones to one of the best.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Game Informer did a vidcast of the goblin starting area, I might even be willing to resuscitate my 80 mage just to experiance the rest of the changes for myself. Although I still think the Worgens should have been Horde like the rest of the monsteresque races.
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Heroics are hard. That's fine - I basically learned to tank on another character in WotLK heroics. That tells me how easy they were.

I've had a lot of luck with drops, and being Justice-capped and honor-capped before the expansion, so I've managed to hit average iLvl 340 with little work.

Getting hit capped (as a mage) for heroics was easy. It's going to be INSANE for raids. I will have to reforge almost everything, plus gem/enchant for hit.

Swampjedi (Suramar)

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
You're a mage too? I've had insane mana problems, especially with chain-pulling tanks. I've been running almost exclusiveley with my guild, cause it's soooo much easier on Vent to say "Doug, stop, healer and mage are both out of mana."

Then again, I haven't tried my hand at heroics yet.

I do have the cata loremaster achievement, which was a ton of fun to get. Especially the Harrison Jones quests.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I might actually start playing again after Christmas. [Smile]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.