FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Outsourced the Show

Author Topic: Outsourced the Show
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one watching and loving this cool new show? It's about a guy whose job gets outsourced to India, and he has to move there.

The show is amusing and touching in a similar style to Arrested Development - where the first season is a perfect combination of quirky and simple.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched an episode and it kinda made me want to kill myself.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I hardly watch any TV, and I do watch this show. I think it's pretty funny.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
The first episode wan't all that great, but since then I've loved it. At first I was worried that the show would be disrespectful, but it really hasn't been at all. If anything they show the Indian culture in a positive way. I really love the main characters, Gupta and Manmeat especially.

Oh, and Rebecca Hazlewood is on the show, and she is pretty.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
I think we had a discussion earlier in the season about how bad it is, if that's any help. I think I'll side with the critics (and the Hatrack consensus) and call it "garbage".

I only saw the first two episodes, however. I didn't think much of it, but it was better than both Everybody Loves Raymond and Two and a Half Men (both shows I hate fervently).

Though the material isn't necessarily insensitive toward indian culture, it is rather blind to it. Not that I care, mind you, it just seemed "cheap" and unfunny -- like a bad Fox show from the mid-nineties (Herman's Head, Dream On, that Married with Children spin off).

The movie it was based off / ripped off from is particularly good, however, if you're interested. It is also called Outsourced, but it is funnier and has a better grip on the culture. For me, the only sitcoms I'm watching are 30 Rock and Modern Family (though I keep hearing good things about Community).

It is interesting to note, however, that a lot of people have different opinions on media. I have a co-worker, for example, who enjoyed the Wolverine movie.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a good friend who is Indian (only been in America for a few years for graduate work) and loves this show. He's actually the one who recommended it to me. His only comments besides the fact that it's funny is that it gives me too much insight into his culture, so I can't imagine the show being blind to Indian culture. I've only seen a few episodes, but I found it amusing.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it, as has been said "amusing". I find some of the showcases* of either culture to be tiring but the character driven stuff can be pretty good. The main character is just the right level of zany, vulnerability and good spirits for the show to work for me. It's not something I'd go around recommending to everyone but it's an enjoyable way to spend 30 minutes.

*When they have one of those "let's talk about American/Indian culture" moments in some clearly contrived way. e.g. "You guys don't know about Thanksgiving? I better bring out some props and come up with some really tired jokes about what it is we actually do then."

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd second the "really tired jokes" comment.

Does it get any better after episode two? Most critics panned it through the first four or five episodes, so I never went back.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it gets better, but not markedly so. After a couple episodes you pretty much know what you're getting, if you dislike it then it's not probable that you'd like it five episodes later. I think.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I watched only the first episode and found it almost painfully unfunny. All the jokes were tired and cheap. I haven't felt inclined to give it another try.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.