FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Google math

Author Topic: Google math
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother just sent me an email telling me about this. It's totally wild.
quote:
I just discovered that if you type in the Google search box any mathematical equation in words (or probably in any form at all), it will instantly give you the answer.

For instance, you type in (4 to the power of 6) divided by 20 and it instantly spits out (4 to the power of 6) divided by 20 = 204.8

Or you type in 2 to the 3rd divided by 10 and it instantly spits out (2 to the 3rd) divided by 10 = 0.8

Unreal.

And it takes regular notation as well. I tried 2^3/10, and got the same answer. And it doesn't even wait for you to click the search button; it shows up in the autocomplete.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrain
Member # 12414

- posted      Profile for Rawrain   Email Rawrain         Edit/Delete Post 
That feature has been there for about 2 years now...... pretty handy when you need a scientific calculator (but you don't wanna buy one XD)
Posts: 461 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Not two years, seven years. Here's a reference to them rolling out the feature in 2003: http://www.bespacific.com/mt/archives/003618.html

It also knows units and common constants, so you can do all sorts of handy calculations.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Welcome to the party.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, well.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It even does unit conversions.

4.5 inches in mm
spits out
4.5 inches = 11.43 centimeters

and

(1.5*3) inches in cm
spits out
(1.5 * 3) * inches = 11.43 centimeters

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I like is currency conversion
http://www.google.ca/intl/en/help/features.html#currency

Ex:
400 CAD to HKD
=>
400 Canadian dollars = 3 072.42482 Hong Kong dollars

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
convert 500 horsepower to newton smoots per hour

quote:
500 horsepower = 788 729 445 (newton smoots) per hour

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
It's got a bunch of constants, too!

(the answer to life the universe and everything x pi) / (Avogadro's number x Planck's constant)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.