FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pwned. Why you never steal from a Hacker. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pwned. Why you never steal from a Hacker.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thats verily the definition of conventional hacking, exploiting security vulnerabilities, cracking is when you break past otherwise secure defenses as I understand it.
It's not exactly "exploiting security vulnerabilities" to use your own password to access files on your own machine.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Now, come on, PSI. Seriously. A password is a *major* vulnerability. Lock up your machine without anyway for anyone to access it: that's secure, baby.
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Except the way he said it was funny, you'res isn't.
I didn't find his presentation the least bit funny. As I said before, it was a waste of time to watch it.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
But you need to concede that clearly quite a few people found it funny, clearly an issue of whom the targetted audience is/was.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] at CT. There have been days when I was so mad at the time I'd wasted on the internet that I seriously considered "encrypting" my password with some random keyboard mashing. If I ever disappear and don't come back, now you know what happened.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
For all my online ARGs I use a password that's so long and complex (40+ characters, upper and lowercase, symbols) that I have to copy/paste it every time I have to type it in.

Reason: A lot of players think that brute forcing a password site is an "in game" solution to things, even if the password prompt has nothing to do with the game. For example, I've had them try to brute force my site's FTP site because they somehow thought it was the next logical step.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
That is because ARGs suck. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, I might have found this story funny given a better delivery, and if the vengeance enacted by the hacker had amounted to more than simply naming and shaming, and throwing up a few pictures of the guy which weren't even that funny.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
That is because ARGs suck. [Wink]

ARGs don't suck! Some of the players, though... [Wink]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Stolen computer 2.0
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hee hee. I would like to point out that this time, the guy in question IS the thief. And while the article says the guy hasn't gone to the police, technically, Macbook Airs cost enough for this to be grand larceny.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.