FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sad movies as therapy

Author Topic: Sad movies as therapy
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Hachi: A Dog's Tale

My dad mentioned this movie to me a few months ago. He'd heard about it from somewhere else but hadn't gotten around to watching it yet. I happened to record it one night but after seeing that it was being presented by the Hallmark Channel, I didn't rush to watch it.

I watched it tonight though and literally cried through the entire second half of the movie. I was completely riveted to the screen. I'm not even sure how to explain it. It was the perfect degree of sentimentality, not over the top. And the music was lovely.

Maybe its because I was raised around lots of dogs and while I'm not a dog-person myself, my mom very much is and in the past year she lost her best friend, her beloved dog. Bonds like that, whether between people or between animals and people, they're important and valuable in a way that nothing else is.

I had a good friend pass away on Christmas Day and I've been in shock for the past week. While everyone around me in walking around heart-broken, I've been in complete denial. I really think I needed this cry tonight as we prepare for the mass on Saturday. Until now, the only people I've known who have passed away have been older relatives. For them, it was their time. But she was only 32 and battling cancer, though everyone expected her to make a complete recovery. She was young and fighting like a champion.

I just keep expecting her to walk in any moment with a bag of books under her arm, a huge hat on her head, and a smile on her face. If I had to name one person in my life who made the biggest difference in this world, it'd be her.

Sorry, this started off a movie recommendation and ended up somewhere else. I guess I needed to get it off my chest.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
I just hate to watch sad movies and tragedies, and I even skip the endings of movies I know will turn out bad. I just don't like watching something which is supposed to make you sad.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for your loss. I don't know how I'd cope with something like that.

I do know that I use sad movies for when I've been depressed. When nothing in my life is going THAT badly, and I don't feel justified in crying, but there's a continual "blah" feeling that I can't escape, and it feels like even if there aren't enough tears inside to cry, there's a enough to fill juuuust up to my eyeballs, without actually overflowing.

Then I watch either "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron" or "Horton Hears a Who". Which by all rights are NOT sad movies, but which have certain parts I find very moving, which is enough to break the dam and let it all out so I can get on with my life. And then, because they are NOT in fact sad movies, they end on happy, uplifting notes that leave me feeling positive after the tears have dried.

I don't expect those particular movies to work for everyone else (By now I have a weird reinforced psychological relationship with them, since I've watched them a lot but almost ALWAYS when I was feeling depressed). But I attest to the power of sadness in movies as cathartic release.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.