FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else heard of this?

Blood & Chrome is another sequel to the 2004 series, but this time returns to space, taking place during the first Cylon War, focusing on a young Bill Adama as a Viper pilot during the height of the war.

It's an online miniseries. I'm guessing SyFy was nervous about putting up more money for a miniseries after Caprica had to be pulled, but I can see why they'd make it at all. Moore specifically said after BSG that he wanted Caprica to be the un-BSG. It was a land-based soap opera of sorts, and he wanted a more diverse audience to be able to connect with it (read: more women). But it flopped (ratings-wise). So now we return to space, and even more, we return to a realm where space battles will be more than norm than the exception I would imagine, which puts us squarely back in BSG territory.

I think it's an attempt to recapture their main audience, but perhaps even more so, as it appears this show will be even more militaristic than the original.

The online series will be a 90 minute special in ten parts. A big change will be the increased use of digital sets. They took 3D hi-res scans of the original set before it was torn down, and the whole show will be shot on green screens and what not, like Avatar or other modern movies. I guess that might make for better graphics, but it'll be weird.

If the web-series is successful, it will get more online episodes. If it is very successful, it could turn into a backdoor pilot for a new TV series.

Interesting. I only watched bits and pieces of Caprica, and it never grabbed me. This sounds more like what I liked so much about BSG originally.

I'm rewatching the entire series right now. Bought the whole thing on Blu-ray awhile back but never got the chance to watch it. Doing so now with my roommate, who has never seen it. Sadly, she has been spoiled on bits and pieces here and there, which REALLY ruins some of it, but we're still enjoying it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you getting the info about it being a webseries? Everything I've found online says that it'll be a two-hour Syfy channel pilot from the get-go. I would be inclined to disbelieve everything you said from out the gate, but I haven't seen anything about the green screens either.
Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
The webseries part was the initial plan and the green screen thing is still on for now.
http://galacticasitrep.blogspot.com/2010/12/first-look-blood-and-chrome.html

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I would tend to believe Lyr, even if things sometimes change.

Looks like there was enough interest to greenlight the pilot, but it was originally planned as webisodes as Lyr said it was.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Correct... a couple of months they changed their minds and went for the tv pilot instead of webisodes.

I'm curious as to whether any of the characters from Caprica will show up (Lacy or Zoe, for example... a lot of people knocked the show because of their female teen angst, but I actually dig female teen angst, so I didn't see what the big deal was).

Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

Caprica was nothing more than angst and talking. At least through the first half-season.
Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Caprica rocked.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
I have finally taken the plunge and have started to watch BSG (2004) and I am hooked. So far I have watched both parts of the mini-series as well as the first regular episode afterwards.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oh cool! I didn't know it had been bumped up to TV miniseries. I just found out about this yesterday and only saw a couple articles, all of which were outdated I guess.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Herblay:
Caprica was nothing more than angst and talking. At least through the first half-season.

I don't entirely agree but I can see why people make such criticisms.

I'm excited about Blood and Chrome, but I'm afraid that they will overcompensate for the slower nature of Caprica which likely contributed to its failure by having B & C be heavy on mindless action. What made BSG one of the greatest series ever in my opinion is having just the right mix of action and thoughtfulness. Caprica was arguably too far on one extreme and B & C could very well end up being on the other.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Caprica rocked.

BSG had a VERY tight storyline, but it floundered every time it left the main plotline (Razor, the boxing episode, etc).

Caprica just felt like more of the same. Like they were scrambling just to get something coherent. And I can't think of a single character that WASN'T depressive and unlikeable.

Herblay
Member # 11834

I'd have to say, perhaps my expectation from BSG was the cause of my disappointment with Caprica.

BSG's tight serial nature was like a novel. It kept on point, with lots of sub-arcs, progressing the storyline like an arrow to its destination. When it went off-track (Razor), it seemed to flounder. It was generally super-lean -- there was very little that didn't move the main story ahead.

In Caprica, episode after episode seemed to have little impact to the plot. Instead of a rollercoaster, we were left meandering about the world. Not only were the subplots lean, but the main plot had a hard time gaining steam. When something interesting happened, it could be several episodes before it went anywhere.

BSG had flawed characters that were still likeable. Even the Cylons had a dignity that you could respect. I didn't respect anyone on Caprica -- they were all slimy, morose, and self-involved.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a Caprica fan. I rather liked Lacy Rand and Amanda Greystone and while Clarise was evil I found her interesting. The majority of the characters though did fall under Herblay's description.

I have no interest in seeing Blood & Chrome. As it is now, I absolutely loved Bill Adama of BSG. His role on Caprica was so minimal as to be negligent. But B&C is supposed to center on him. I do not want to watch a show that will inevitably try to provide "new insights" in to an already perfect character. I'll let my memory live on peacefully.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

It's their own dang fault, really. They did such a good job with BSG (including the ending) that they have a lot of expectations to fulfill.

But if Blood and Chrome sucks, I can always watch Doctor Who, (the new and improved) Eureka, and Warehouse 13.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:

I have no interest in seeing Blood & Chrome. As it is now, I absolutely loved Bill Adama of BSG. His role on Caprica was so minimal as to be negligent. But B&C is supposed to center on him. I do not want to watch a show that will inevitably try to provide "new insights" in to an already perfect character. I'll let my memory live on peacefully.

He didn't even have a role in Caprica. He had like a 5 second non-speaking cameo. And if you'll forgive me for saying so, that sounds like a silly reason not to watch to me.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
that sounds like a silly reason not to watch to me.
*shrugs* It would ruin the show for me, but if it's a non-issue for others, I hope they enjoy.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(the new and improved) Eureka

Pardon? Have they changed it again? Or are you talking about the post-visit-to-1947 timeline?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
(the new and improved) Eureka

Pardon? Have they changed it again? Or are you talking about the post-visit-to-1947 timeline?
Yes, the post-visit-to-1947 timeline. Other than the decreased screentime for Zooey, it seems like everything (budget, scripts, main story arc, etc) are vastly improved.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Episode 1 (and 2) have been released on Youtube.

They've recaptured the feel of the original. The graphics are spot on, the music is good, the tone is right, and the CGI sets were actually decent, though this doesn't look like much of it will take place on the bridge anyway.

Next two episodes are released tomorrow.

Kind of snuck up on me, I didn't even realize they were close to a release, or that they'd switched back to a web release.

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I somehow missed the announcement altogether, so this really snuck up on me.

The first couple episodes were pretty good, though.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Second pair of episodes are awesome!

It's a little weird because they've recycled a half dozen actors into new roles and it takes a little getting used to, but they're all minor characters.

I'm totally hooked into the new story. They've really outdone themselves on the visuals.

The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the BSG boxing episode. That whole period of season 3 was fairly slow though.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Things got pretty wacky after Season 2 in general, but they still produced a great story with fantastic acting and stellar graphics/music. Season 3 was slow, but it had some singularly amazing episodes.

I love "Dirty Hands." I plan to use it as a teaching tool some day.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.