FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help, bad mood, what movie to watch?

Author Topic: Help, bad mood, what movie to watch?
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
Best comedy you have ever watched? Humor doesn't really have to be very sublime, but it can. I loooove The hangover.

Please help.

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Mel Brooks's The Producers, either version is funny but I prefer the 2005 version which is, to my, simply hysterical across the board.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try to... find it;)

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
My go-to film is Noises Off (link is to Wikipedia), the '92 film version of the slapstick play-within-a-play.

The cast alone is awesome:
Carol Burnett
Michael Caine
John Ritter
Christopher Reeve
Nicollette Sheridan
Marilu Henner
Denholm Elliott
Julie Hagerty
Mark Linn-Baker

quote:
The film follows the concept of a play within a play, in this case a dreadful sex farce Nothing On — the type of production in which young women run about in their underwear, old men drop their trousers, and many doors continually open and shut. The setting has been transplanted from the backcountry of Great Britain to Des Moines, Iowa, where a second-rate theatrical troupe is preparing to perform the Broadway-bound play under the direction of Lloyd Fellowes ...

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Some suggestions you might like based on liking The Hangover:

Super Troopers
Tropic Thunder
Old School
Dodgeball
Superbad
Anchorman

Going back a bit and perhaps a stretch from the above:
Young Frankenstein
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

All decent hits as far as comedies go, so you may have seen them all, but I'd say at least 6 of those are worth watching more than once.

If you'd prefer something more subtle, sophisticated, indie, etc., then I can offer a ton of suggestions along those lines, too.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
If you like The Hangover then you might also like The Big Lebowski and Pineapple Express.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Oldie: Chevy Chase & Goldie Hawn in Foul Play.

And I love Waking Ned Devine.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Suggestion of something I found funny, unrelated to your personal taste:

Bringing Up Baby, from 1938, starring Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant. As screwball as Screwball Comedies get. Have fun.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
L.A. Story, The Emperor's New Groove, or Young Frankenstein all come to mind.

[ January 10, 2011, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Sterling ]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Another great Vegas gone wrong flick is Very Bad Things.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fremen
Member # 11984

- posted      Profile for Fremen           Edit/Delete Post 
I Love you Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Love_You,_Man)

That's probably the best movie I can suggest for someone that liked the Hangover (although everyone I know likes them both).

Posts: 28 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Seconding Monty Python & The Holy Grail
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Just go on youtube and watch some standup. I recommend Dave Chappelle, Kat Williams, Jim Gaffigan, Tommy Davidson, and Jamie Fox, in that order. If you prefer funny women, try Anjelah Johnson.

Skits from In Living Color or Dave Chappelle's show are also good for improving bad moods.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Seconding Noises Off. Christopher Reeve is a darling.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Clue.

Nuff said.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently went back and watched Clue. It wasn't nearly as enjoyable as I remembered it being.

Oscar.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm partial to Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, but I'm slightly biased.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I recently went back and watched Clue. It wasn't nearly as enjoyable as I remembered it being.

Oscar.

Some movies are like that for me. Clue is almost always hilarious to me. I usually find that movies I loved when I was a kid are just as good now that I'm older, unless I watch then with someone who never saw them as a kid, then it sort of breaks the spell.

Case in point, my brother and I loved watching Congo when we were younger. We still love it. I tried showing it to my roommate, and she thought it was awful, and slightly amusing. Ruined it a little bit for me. I still think it's funny, but some of the magic is gone.

They're talking about remaking Clue with Gore Verbinksi, but I'm skeptical. Casting will be hugely important.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Clue.

Nuff said.

Ah! Good one!
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Oldie: Chevy Chase & Goldie Hawn in Foul Play.

Ditto Foul Play. Also, Animal House, Blues Brothers, and Stripes. Oh, and top of the list, Ruthless People. I almost peed myself.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Dodgeball made me laugh a great deal but its humor is highly juvenile.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

If Dodgeball is juvenile, what does that make American Pie?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Infantile.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
("If you can dodge balls, you can dodge wrenches!") //snicker
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
I Love You Man and Role Models are both Hangover-era greats. I really liked Get Him To The Greek.

For old-school? Zoolander takes the cake.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
Crocodile Dundee
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
My Cousin Vinny? Grosse Pointe Blank?
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The God's Must Be Crazy.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
The 40-year Old Virgin
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa'eed
Member # 12368

- posted      Profile for Sa'eed   Email Sa'eed         Edit/Delete Post 
When I'm in a bad mood I like to watch despondent films in order to remind myself that, on the whole, I have it pretty good. Some recommendations in that regard:

Schindler's List
Boys Don't Cry
Hotel Rwanda
The Magdalene Sisters

Posts: 668 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Blazing Saddles.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I would recommend Charade. Funny and enough of a plot to be interesting.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Szymon, did you ever watch any of these?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Seconding Blazing Saddles, for sure. In fact, it's why I opened the thread, just to say it.

(But if you want something newer, I'll third... fourth?... Dodgeball. It never fails to make me snicker like a twelve-year-old, and I love it so. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesnt matter what mood your in, Earth Girls Are Easy can help.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.