FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Vaccine Con detailed

Author Topic: Vaccine Con detailed
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I know the number 5 ugliest arguments we have on this forum has to do with Vaccines and Autism.

However the details of the plot that Dr. Wakefield was hatching with his theory have come to light. Dr. Wakefield and others associated with the Autism/Innoculation theory were starting their own company to A)produce a new--different type of vaccine, B)patent and offer expensive tests for law suits against the old vaccine companies, and C)Bill government and insurance companies for procedures that they create to diagnose people with this link.

All of these services would be demanded as soon as the big news conference hit that linked Autism to Vaccines , and as the sole prepared provider of them, they expected to clear $75.5 Million the 1st year.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Did this forum have a thimerosal conspiracist? Were these really the ugliest arguments on hatrack? I didn't even think the vaccine 'controversy' was even in the top ten here.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
#1--Evolution/Creationism
#2--Global Climate Change
#3--Abortion
#4--Who should play Ender in the upcoming Movie
#5--Does Autism come from Vaccinations.

Of course, this is based over 10+ years of Hatrackery. 3 and 5 have cooled down recently.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
SS marriage and proxy baptism should both be way higher than your #5. At the very least.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Or at least something Israel/Jewish vs. Muslim/Palestinians. We at least get bans (of some sort or another) out of those.

Edit to add: Going through lists of closed threads, I'd say "Blayne Bradley" would also be a potential contender that should outrank vaccines.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is now about which topic generates the most asshatery on Hatrack.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
dont forget bush! and iraq!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd put proxy baptism at #1 or close to it.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
And here I was wondering why we were holding another 'con when it's already well into the flu season, so many people would already be vaccinated.
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

Huh. I can't even *recall* a heated proxy baptism thread in the last few years.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this thread was going to be about one of these meetings:
http://blogs.chron.com/autisminthehouse/2011/01/not_hoax_high_stakes.html

For number one conflict, I would vote Israel/Palestine. You can't mention either of those without someone ending up banned.

Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

there were a couple of good ones! it has great inherent potential for drama with this crowd and could bounce well off of notorious individuals.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CT:
And here I was wondering why we were holding another 'con when it's already well into the flu season, so many people would already be vaccinated.

I thought it sounded like a pretty weird reason for a con, although...well, I clicked in to see if it would make sense.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Since I live in a liberal hive, there's plenty of naturopaths and people invested in alternate medicine and spirit crystal energies or whatever. Vaccine 'skepticism' used to be rampant here. It's creepy to watch it in person, because it's not like evolutionary 'skepticism' or other things people can feel free to be an idiot about without actively putting other people at risk. Anti-vaccine idiocy, though, results in parents not vaccinating their kids, putting not only those kids but other kids in their community at risk by disrupting herd immunity. I will flat-out berate someone in public and call them an idiot if they tell me their kids aren't vaccinated because of *insert vaccine autism slash conspiracy bs here* — it crosses a line where their idiocy and complacency with pseudoscience and lies is actively endangering.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Wakefield is a fraud and it's time to just STOP LISTENING TO THAT GUY.

Dang.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Where does belief/nonbelief come in that list?
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
In what? [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that kid from Home Alone should play Ender.

Wait...what are we talking about?

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
You MEANT to say Home Alone 3. I can tell.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drifter
Member # 11958

- posted      Profile for Drifter           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

That was my first pick too.

Oh and Blayne Bradley is small potatoes compared to Balder [Smile]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
How could proxy baptism not cause controversy, now that I read about it? Its a perfect practice for it.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaaand here we go again!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I will flat-out berate someone in public and call them an idiot if they tell me their kids aren't vaccinated because of *insert vaccine autism slash conspiracy bs here*
I'm sure this is an extremely effective method of convincing people that their beliefs about vaccination are in error.

[ January 13, 2011, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Parkour:
How could proxy baptism not cause controversy, now that I read about it? Its a perfect practice for it.

Don't. Just don't.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
There hasn't been a proxy baptism thread in years, but the old-timers remember them well. Heed those of us who say don't, please don't. I sincerely regret bringing it up.

On another note, I thought the kid in The Phantom Menace would make a good Ender. [Razz]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

Ok, ok... so its number 15--not number 5.

Can't I pull numbers out of my .... hat... like this doc Wakefield did?

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There hasn't been a proxy baptism thread in years, but the old-timers remember them well. Heed those of us who say don't, please don't. I sincerely regret bringing it up.

I'm pretty sure I started the last one. Other than the ruckus here, the main result was that when I hear people complaining about it, I try and talk them down. Ironic.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Haley Joel Osment.

You know he'd be perfect.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Darn tootin'. And the best part is that ya'd hafta use a time machine to get him at the right age...
...which means that ya'd save on production costs by getting a buncha spaceships and stuff from the future.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo...you could go even further into the future and get used spaceships for cheap!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be easier just to go into the future and bring back a finished print of the movie?
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
Wouldn't it be easier just to go into the future and bring back a finished print of the movie?

No, because they solve the problem of aging leading to death ten years from now, and so Mr. Card never dies, thus preventing studios from just throwing another piece of tripe at us.

Then Skynet becomes self aware, and all movies stop.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, because then to avoid a paradox, the movie would have to essentially be 'remade' - after everyone had already seen it, leading to the great Critic-Wars of 2047, wherein no-one could decide whether the 'remake' of the film was as good as the original.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
quote:
I will flat-out berate someone in public and call them an idiot if they tell me their kids aren't vaccinated because of *insert vaccine autism slash conspiracy bs here*
I'm sure this is an extremely effective method of convincing people that their beliefs about vaccination are in error.
So far, yup!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe you.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drifter
Member # 11958

- posted      Profile for Drifter           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
quote:
No, because then to avoid a paradox, the movie would have to essentially be 'remade' - after everyone had already seen it, leading to the great Critic-Wars of 2047, wherein no-one could decide whether the 'remake' of the film was as good as the original.
Which would in turn, lead to intense debate on hatrack, eventually becoming the #1 ugliest argument, as to whether the 2047 Critic Wars were worse than the 2042/2043 Critic Wars. Of course there would be two separate subset arguments, one defining the word 'Critic' and one whether it could truly be called a Critic War if only American critics were involved.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Pff, these hippies got cajoled into it with this whole idea that they aren't acting in their children's best interest if they participate in western medicine's ew bad ucky non-natural artificial thimerosal mercury unnecessary vaccines. So you just turn that right on its head and shame them for ending up doing exactly that. And, to boot, putting everyone else's kids in greater danger.

We have been rightfully criticized for our general vaccine idiocy. In a small way, we act as a cautionary tale. I treat this kind of ignorance the same way I like to treat homophobia and racism.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I treat this kind of ignorance the same way I like to treat homophobia and racism.
This is precisely why I don't believe that it's been effective in convincing people.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

That's probably because you haven't actually seem me deal with any of those three subjects in person with a live, present human being, and you are inferring that it must essentially be identical enough to me mocking nutcases from a weird old forum on the internet for you to assume it simply could not be.

That's ok. People can believe what they want about things I bring up about my personal life. That I'm unfathomably capable of slapping sense into people and have done so on more than one occasion is hardly the most outlandishly impossible factoid from my travels.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.