FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Digging Deep into Old / Literary Science Fiction

Author Topic: Digging Deep into Old / Literary Science Fiction
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
So, I've nearly completed reading Slaughterhouse Five, and it's blowing my mind. The only other Vonnegut I'd read before was Cat's Cradle, and this book blows the doors off of it.

I've read a little Heinlein as well: Starship Troopers was poorly written, Stranger in a Strange Land was very thought provoking (as was For Us The Living), and Have Spacesuit Will Travel was really fun.

I've never cared for Bradbury or Asimov -- at least in the sampling I read when younger. Dune was fairly good (though the first two thirds was BORING) and Clark kept my interest through the 2001 series (but it was nothing special).

Where do I go from here? More Vonnegut? More Heinlein? Dick, possibly? I'm running out of books on my Kindle . . . I might have to read Tales of the Jazz Age by Fitzgerald if I don't find something quick.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I would recommend some short fiction. It's a great way to sample authors. There's the "Year's Best SF", edited by David Hartwell, I think all 15 volumes are available on Kindle. There's the "Year's Best Science Fiction", edited by Gardner Dozois, many (most?) of which are available for the Kindle. If you want some older "golden age" stuff, there are the "Golden Age of Science Fiction" collections. I'm not sure how many volumes there are now... 11? 12? Each one is huge (50 stories), and I believe each one is only two dollars for the Kindle version.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I still love Starship Troopers, although not as much on my last reading as the several times before. I think it's quite well written. But I tend to like stories about military training. I like Space Cadet for the same reason. Heinlein has a special spot in my heart, I guess, not necessarily for his philosophy on things but for his mastery of a certain type of story. I think he had only two characters in his arsenal, but he got really good at using them in a lot of satisfyingly sci-fi ways. That said, I've only ever finished one of his "later" novels and have no desire to read more.

Does Frederick Pohl count as old sci-fi? The Heechee Saga might be worth reading. Also, Fred Saberhagen's Berzerker stories.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
Frederick Pohl does sound interesting. As far as the rest, I've done a lot of short stories in the past. I hate to admit it, but I've never been a fan. Usually I have to fall in love with an author and read all of his / her novels -- then I'll read the short stories if I'm still enamoured.

It always struck me as odd, though. I've always felt that an author's writing is considerably different in short story than novel form.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natural_mystic
Member # 11760

- posted      Profile for natural_mystic           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just getting into Gene Wolfe's New Sun books. Perhaps more fantasy than SF, tho (I gather it's debatable, but can't say first hand yet). Definitely literary.
Posts: 644 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
With that thread title I'ld recommend Lovecraft.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Try Poul Anderson; start with "Three Hearts and Three Lions" and "A Midsummer Tempest", if you can find them.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon Dickson, Clifford Simak, and Fritz Leiber.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I couldn't make it more than twenty pages into Slaughterhouse Five, but I rather like Starship Troopers.

Have you read Wells?

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
CORDWAINER SMITH.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

And Alfred Bester. But especially Cordwainer Smith.

For Smith, start with the short stories and read the novel (only one) later. "Scanners Live in Vain" is a good story to start with, but if you want to read the best first, it's probably "A Planet Named Shayol."

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Bester, The Stars My Destination, arguably the best sf novel ever. Radiates wild ideas, paced like a hockey game, sophisticated and bravura.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

I remember reading a few books by Poul Anderson long ago, and liking them, but I can't remember which ones they were. I went through a list of his titles but nothing sparked my memory.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

Stars My Destination (aka Tiger Tiger) is indeed a masterpiece. Much better than Demolished Man, which is nonetheless very good.

If you like Stars My Destination, I'd check out Samuel Delany's NOVA.

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
My persona favorite Vonnegut is Player Piano. It's not one that I hear people talk about it a lot, but it made a huge impression on me when I was younger. Also his Welcome to the Monkey House collection of short stories is fantastic.

What Aasimov have you read? If you haven't tried it out, I would recommend Caves of Steel, especially if you like detective stories.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Vonnegut as a novelist, really like him as a short story writer, and love him as an essayist.

Back before the internet had developed enough to make this kind of thing easy, I worked my ass off to find a copy of The Stars My Destination. For several years, it was my holy grail of SF. It was definitely worth the search once I finally tracked a copy of it down.

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to go really old, try Jules Verne.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

Another old favorite -- should be as famous as The Stars My Destination, but isn't -- is a forgotten classic called Star Bridge, by James Gunn and Jack Williamson.
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
James Gunn is pretty bitter about being the forgotten Golden Age big name.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yebor1
Member # 1380

- posted      Profile for Yebor1   Email Yebor1         Edit/Delete Post 
A. E. Van Vogt

quote:
Alfred Elton van Vogt (April 26, 1912 – January 26, 2000) was a Canadian-born science fiction author regarded by some as one of the most popular and complex science fiction writers of the mid-twentieth century: the "Golden Age" of the genre
i found a copy of Far Out Worlds of Van Vogt (1973) in a used book store and was impressed
Posts: 1661 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

The Weapon Makers and The Weapon Shops of Isher are v good Van Vogt novels.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"Try Poul Anderson"

THirded.

THe Shield of Time, or The Time Patrol.
The later is a collection of short stories. The former is a novel.
Harvest of Stars, and the rest of the series.
The Boat of a Million Years.

A lot of this stuff is newer (1990ish) but... not always well known.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
While I like a lot of Poul Anderson's stuff, Boa of a Million Years is pretty much crap.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'd really like Ursala K. Leguin... though being from the late 60s maybe it would be too modern to count. Rocannon's World is very simply written and acts as a good introduction to her work. The Dispossessed is fairy easy to get into as well. If you want to delve deeper, there's The Left Hand of Darkness (which is one of the few books I've read that postulates a genderless society), and I really enjoyed her short story collection "A Fisherman of the Inland Sea." "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" is one of the greatest short stories ever written.

I also really enjoyed Philip K. Dick... his work really has that classic 1950s feel to it.

If you enjoy his style, check out Roger Zelazny. "For a Breath I Tarry" is a good introduction. (if you want to read it online, just search for "For a Breath I Tarry" in Google and click the second link)

My favorite sci-fi book by him is probably Jack of Shadows. He's written several excellent fantasy books to... short stories are really where he excels, though. I have a very old copy of "The Last Defender of Camelot" on my bookshelf that I reread every year or so.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
While I like a lot of Poul Anderson's stuff, Boa of a Million Years is pretty much crap.

Boa of a Million Years sounds like a fascinating read. Might get a little kinky in places, though? [Razz]
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

I've never read this -- _Sinister Barrier_ by Eric Frank Russell -- but I've read places where Isaac Asimov said it was great. Maybe one of the first sf novels to be serialized in a genre magazine.
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
The Baen Free Library has some good old authors available, mostly collected short fiction. Howard L. Myers and James H. Schmitz were two authors I remember enjoying.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

And some things I read as a youngster:

* Poul Anderson -- Tau Zero
* Isaac Asimov -- The Gods Themselves
* Fredric Brown -- Martians Go Home
* Hal Clement -- Mission of Gravity
* L. Sprague de Camp -- Lest Darkness Fall
* Fritz Leiber -- The Silver Eggheads, The Big Time, Gather, Darkness!
* Clifford D. Simak -- City
* Theodore Sturgeon -- More than Human

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

Boa of a Million Years sounds like a fascinating read. Might get a little kinky in places, though? [Razz]
[ROFL]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iglee
Member # 12455

- posted      Profile for iglee   Email iglee         Edit/Delete Post 
Herbley, I’ve heard some people complain about some classic science fiction that some of it is so dated. Like for instance using slide rules for starship navigation, or Venus having a tropical Amazonesk climate, or being able to breath on Mars. This stuff doesn’t bother me. The stories are still fun anyway. Well, I don’t know what is available for the Kindle but in addition to what others have recommended, here goes my recommendations.

I’ve always enjoyed Heinlein’s stories. Most of them anyway, and there some that I reread from time to time. You mentioned Have Spacesuit - Will Travel as being really fun. I think all of his young adult novels are that way. Some of my favorites are:

Tunnel in the Sky
Citizen of the Galaxy
Red Planet
Farmer in the Sky
Between Planets
The Star Beast
Time for the Stars
Podkayne of Mars

Of his other novels I especially like The Puppet Masters; Double Star; and The Door into Summer; and these other ones are pretty good too:

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Friday
Job: A Comedy of Justice
Glory Road

I’ve enjoyed a lot of his short stories but especially these:

And He Built a Crooked House
By His Bootstraps
The Menace from Earth
All You Zombies
Goldfish Bowl

I also recommend these short stories form A.C. Clarke:

A Walk in the Dark
The Possessed
The Nine Billion Names of God
The Star
The Haunted Spacesuit

And just about any of Asimov’s short stories but especially these:

Nightfall
The Ugly Little Boy
The Secret Sense
Green Patches
The C-Chute
The Martian Way
Youth
It's Such a Beautiful Day
Insert Knob A in Hole B
The Billiard Ball
Sucker Bait

And these novels by John Wyndham are good:

The Day of the Triffids
Planet Plane
aka Stowaway to Mars
The Kraken Wakes
aka Out of the Deeps
The Midwich Cuckoos

And Hal Clement’s novels:

Needle
Through the Eye of the Needle
Mission of Gravity

Then there is A.E. Van Vogt’s novels The Voyage of the Space Beagle; The Silkie and Clifford D. Simak’s novels Time is the Simplest Thing; The Werewolf Principle.

Well, that ought to keep you supplied with some good reads for a couple of days. [Wink]

(For anyone who is interested, here is a really good tribute to Heinlein by Spider Robinson)

http://www.heinleinsociety.org/rah/works/articles/rahrahrah.html

Posts: 71 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

I never liked Heinlein very much. He made some stylistic leaps forward, but the characters were always so bad -- especially the women.
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

I'll have to disagree about Heinlein, particularly if you place him in the context of the 1930's to the 1960's, when I think he was doing his best work. Look at what other people were writing. The men in the stories were likely to be superheros or mad scientists or wisecracking journalists or other stereotypes. The women were likely to be seductive villianesses (sp), or empty-headed background characters.

I will admit that Heinlein had a tendency to people his stories with types, like the "competent man", or even worse, the wise old mouthpiece, but his women in the future were apt to be engineers and soldiers and independent thinkers.

For anyone who hasn't read Heinlein, stay away from the big giant novels post "Moon is a Harsh Mistress." He got so big that he demanded complete creative control, so nobody could edit him, and the work suffered. (anticipating M Night Shamalyan).

iglee
Member # 12455

Well, it is certainly ok to not like Heinlein’s books. Everyone is entitled to their own tastes. And there is so much great stuff out there to read that one can’t read it all. I’m certainly not a literary expert so I would be hard pressed to say what makes a good female character or good literary style. Which is too bad because I have read almost all of what Heinlein has written and many of his stories I have reread several times. So If I were an expert on what makes good or bad “litracha” I’d be a danged expert on Heinlein and able to criticize better. But alas all I am really expert on is knowing what I like. And that is a subjective thing.

I will say this though, I didn’t particularly like, Stranger in a Strange Land; Number of the Beast; I Will Fear No Evil; Time Enough For Love and I have no desire to reread them. But that was for reasons of content and not for any objection of whether they were well written or not since I’m not qualified to judge such things. And I got so disgusted with To Sail Beyond the Sunset that I didn‘t get more than about a third of the way through it.

One thing Heinlein said in Starship Troopers, or maybe in Expanded Universe in his comments about Troopers, that I have always wondered about was that women tend to make better fighter pilots than men. What with better reflexes and tolerance to physical stress and stuff. But I’ve never been able to ask any experts about it so I don’t know if there is any truth to it or if it that sort of thing is in no way gender specific.

But all this is sort of off the subject of the thread, sorry.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

quote:
I'll have to disagree about Heinlein, particularly if you place him in the context of the 1930's to the 1960's, when I think he was doing his best work. Look at what other people were writing.
Well, that's the thing. Some of the less famous writers of that period -- Bester, Delany, Cordwainer Smith -- were producing much better work than the biggest luminaries (I'm thinking of the big three, Clarke, Asimov and Heinlein). Their characters were characters. Gully Foyle from The Stars My Destination is a fascinating person. And their work, while sometimes dated, was not written from a place of prejudice the way Heinlein's clearly was.

(I'm not saying Heinlein was a bad guy overall. But it's obvious from his writing that he was a sexist in the same way as the male characters from Mad Men are sexist.)

To borrow a phrase from iglee, there's nothing wrong with liking Heinlein. But Heinlein-lovers should keep in mind that in liking the work, they're looking past some serious flaws that other writers of the time didn't have.

BTW, although I lumped Asimov and Clarke in with Heinlein, I don't have the same problems with their work. They each had a few masterpieces (well, just one for Clarke, Childhood's End). The characterization was never very good. But it wasn't because their characters were stereotypes.

iglee
Member # 12455

I certainly agree with you that there was a lot of great work being done by other science fiction authors of that period.

One of the things that surprises me is that it took so long for the great snobby academic world of “litracha” to acknowledge that SF was anything but trash. The funny thing is that I wasn’t even aware until recent years that the prejudice existed. I guess I should have taken more literature classes in college.

Here is a great essay on that subject by Dave Wolverton for anyone who is interested:

http://www.sff.net/people/dtruesdale/wolverton1.htp

Destineer
Member # 821

Meh. Of course he's right that there's a lot of anti-genre snobbery in the mainstream. I don't think his explanation for the problem holds up to scrutiny. His taste in movies isn't very good.

And who chose that hideous photo for his byline?

Destineer
Member # 821

Also, I disagree utterly with his view that the incursion of mainstream sensibilities into SF (or the minds of SF editors) is a problem. The absolute best work that's been done in the field over the last few decades has resulted from this cross-pollination. (I'm thinking of Gene Wolfe, Paul Park, Dan Simmons, Iain M. Banks...)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.