FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Knew It! Sorry, you've been thinking TOO FAR outside the bun....

Author Topic: I Knew It! Sorry, you've been thinking TOO FAR outside the bun....
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
I've suspected this for years....

Unfortunately my kids love Taco Bell.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/01/25/wheres-beef-taco-bell-sued-ingredients/

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Ruh roh. I never eat there anyway.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone surprised? Really?

I dunno, seems like such a whatever story to me. If they'd put some sort of horrifying toxic crap in as filler that would be alarming. But, oats? Okay then.

Sorry, not trying to rain on your thread, Flying Fish.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
kay, Fox news, there are like 7 puns in your first few paragraphs. When did you adopt the style guide of a UK gossip magazine? Douchebags.

ETA: And if you're actually surprised, you're a big fat sucker and have been for a very long time.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a vegetarian. I once (year+ ago) accidentally was given a meat burrito instead of a cheese/rice one at Taco Bell. I was a little angry at first, then took a few bites and concluded that there was barely any actual meat in there in the first place.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link, Flying Fish.

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
If they'd put some sort of horrifying toxic crap in as filler that would be alarming. But, oats? Okay then.

I would not be surprised if it's actually healthier (more dietary fiber? less saturated fat?), but that would depend on the nature of the fiberous filler, I suppose.
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I have a craving for Taco Bell. Unfortunately, there isn't one in this town.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
You know what it's time for, then ...
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
This is comfirmation of my belief as Taco Bell as the worst fast food chain in existence. Even McDonalds uses 100% meat, even if it is of an unknown animal.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one that's kind of relieved?

ETA: I mean, like Dan said, it's nice to know we're dealing with oats and beef.

It'll be hilarious if Taco Bell has to change all their signs to show that their tacos come in chicken, steak, and beef product.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

- posted      Profile for capaxinfiniti           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
kay, Fox news, there are like 7 puns in your first few paragraphs. When did you adopt the style guide of a UK gossip magazine? Douchebags.

ETA: And if you're actually surprised, you're a big fat sucker and have been for a very long time.

whats wrong with puns? how does using them make one a douchebag?
Posts: 570 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowland
Member # 12366

- posted      Profile for shadowland   Email shadowland         Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw the headline I was thinking to myself, "Well, if they used some beef substitute that was actually somewhat healthy for me, I'd probably eat it," and then I scanned through the article and found that it's probably healthier than what I had expected was in it. So yeah, I guess I'm kind of relieved to know this, in case I do ever eat there.

And then after reading the article I walked over to Chipotle for dinner.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_Frank:
I dunno, seems like such a whatever story to me. If they'd put some sort of horrifying toxic crap in as filler that would be alarming. But, oats? Okay then.

Unless of course you are allergic to Oats, in which case they are horrific crap.

Being diagnosed with celiac sprue a dozen years ago has given me a completely different perspective on misleading and incomplete food labeling. For those of us with medically based dietary restrictions, misleading food labeling is a serious health threat. I can't eat any thing unless I know what's in it. Without strict laws prohibiting misleading and incomplete food labeling, I can't eat anything I don't prepare myself from fresh unprocessed ingredients. That's a major restriction on my life.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I want some taco bell now.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
This is why Del Taco wins.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it is one of these elusive 'binding' and 'anti-dusting agents' which are the cause of Tacozuma's Revenge.

Man now I really want some taco bell.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
Yum Foods Incorporated, owners of Taco Bell, fight back by taking out ads revealing the real beef taco filling formula:

35% beef
14% extenders
51% Soylent Verde

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
That's imported Soylent Verde, thank you very much.
Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who would have been surprised to find that their tacos contain 100% beef? I mean, if so, they wouldn't really be tacos, would they?

When I make tacos or enchiladas at home I start with browned 100% beef of course, but then I add all kinds of stuff. When I read the list of Taco Bell's ingredients that they add, they looked pretty familiar. Water, chili powder, salt, etc. I don't add oats, but I might now.

I get what Rabbit is saying about accurate labeling, and I totally agree. But, it seems like Taco Bell is being pretty up front about what is in their mixture, so it doesn't look like they are trying to hide anything.

I'm not exactly a Taco Bell apologist - I might eat there once a year and probably not even that often. But, this just seems like a ridiculous and frivolous lawsuit.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

I'm just having some fun with this because so many aspects of it seem ludicrous, and because it has been a running joke in my family -- the kids ask for Taco Bell and I grimace and think "But that's not even meat!"

And yeah, when I make tacos I use ground beef and then add water and spice, so I know it's not 100% beef. But shouldn't the stuffing in a "beef" taco be at least 51% beef? Mmmmm? It's a little bit like the fda rules that let Tyson Foods take a chicken down to 20 degrees with a coating of ice on it to ship and store, but still label it "fresh, not frozen."

On the other hand, any multinational corporation called "Yum Foods" has to be good.

And I'd still like to know exactly what "anti-dusting agents" are.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Flying Fish:
Yum Foods Incorporated, owners of Taco Bell, fight back by taking out ads revealing the real beef taco filling formula:

35% beef
14% extenders
51% Soylent Verde

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.