FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Another fine example of Fox's unbiased reporting

Author Topic: Another fine example of Fox's unbiased reporting
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Link

Does Fox ever mention what the father's objection was in the first place? Has anyone seen any other coverage of this?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the way she puts that: "It's my fundamental right to teach the beliefs within my home."

Sure, I guess. Except, I dunno, what if the beliefs in your home stated that children were worthless pieces of human garbage, and your beliefs demanded that you belittle and harass children? Cause I think then the state would take the child away.

Just saying, "fundamental right," this is not.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Classic and wonderful example of putting your bias into a 'question title' — "Too religious to home-school?"

With those you can enforce lots of speculation while not actually saying this is factually the case.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understand, her beliefs are not considered harmful to the child.

Here's an article form the NH Family Law blog:

Link

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
The courts didn't FORCE the child into the public school system. The FATHER chose to go to court to exercise HIS right to decide what type of education his child gets.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I like this ruling. It seems like often society likes to defer to the mother's opinion and ignore the father's. The father should have a say in the kid's education and the courts recognizing that is a nice change.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
So blogs and opinion pieces are examples of biased reporting now? Doesn't every other news site have the same? Yes, it appears on their website, but it is pretty clear that it is a blog piece.

As for the topic, I'm glad the father gets a say. I think too often fathers are exccluded in these types of decisions.

My uncle had two children with his ex wife and did not receive custody when they divorced. He was constantly frustrated that he did not have a say when it came to his two daughters. His ex did drugs, slept around, and partied all night, but the state didn't see that. The girls thought mom was cool because when she was passed out or drunk they could do whatever they wanted without supervision.

Luckily as they got older they realized that their dad was the one they could count on, and now that they are over 18 they spend most of their time with him.

I think too often the courts default to the mothers without properly weighing the situation.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't say that I'm glad the father gets a say without knowing much more about the father and mother specifically. I'm not a fan of the kind of cloistered homeschooling the link mentions, lending me more towards the ruling's side of things, but I recognize that's personal bias at work.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So blogs and opinion pieces are examples of biased reporting now? Doesn't every other news site have the same? Yes, it appears on their website, but it is pretty clear that it is a blog piece.
Does Fox News get to attach the word 'blog' to its LiveShots topical news section and use this as an excuse for creating bias through specifically limited presentation of a story?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Just because the father had already agreed to home schooling doesnt mean that he gave away the right to contest his ex teaching his daughter values he does not share and in a matter that he finds harmful to his childs longterm education and well being.

I think it would be hard enough to live without ones child, let alone to hear her repeat heavily religous views that you dont like.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Can the court be used by one estranged parent to get the other parent to stop exposing the children to certain beliefs? Is that what the question is here?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

In the same situation as the father, I could and would levy heavy protest and constant court challenge to prevent my daughter from wasting away in homeschooling. It would really be less about bias over religious upbringing than demanding that she have a real education not filled with junk science.
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
The headline was definitely deliberately misleading. This was clearly a case about child custody/conservatorship and had nothing to do with homeschooling rights. Two parents didn't agree about what was best for their child and asked the courts to intervene.

Without knowing the family situation and all the details involved, it is impossible for us to make a decision.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Since we already have an active and ubiquitous 'lol, fox news' thread, I want to ask a question:

the image from multiple sources where fox news put up a map of the middle east and labeled Iraq as Egypt:

is that for real? or what?

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that from two years ago?
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I don't know. It's claimed that it just happened on fox news while covering the egypt crisis. I just don't know if it's faked or what and if it can be confirmed.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems that it's being pulled out of storage now, because of the Egypt crisis. I guess it was just waiting for its legs.
Link

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
I like this ruling. It seems like often society likes to defer to the mother's opinion and ignore the father's. The father should have a say in the kid's education and the courts recognizing that is a nice change.

Second.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.