FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Religious Freedom and Civil Marriage Protection Act (Page 11)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: The Religious Freedom and Civil Marriage Protection Act
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
The church really needs to update their missionary training then because I've never spoken to a missionary that hasn't basically said "just pray about it!". (And I've spoken to a *lot* of missionaries - curse of being a non-member that's married to a Mormon.)
I'd settle for missionaries that didn't drop by unannounced at 3p on a Saturday and stay for two hours without having any sort of message or use to their visit.

My priorities may be a bit different from yours...

They are quite similar to mine. I can sympathize with missionaries wanting a friendly face to talk to after a rough day or week, but man I have no patience for that sort of time wasting.
In my mission we called it "bucketing." It was essentially like treading water when you were tired of swimming.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
We used to have a few missionaries that would drop by my parent's house every Sunday when we would have a family dinner. For some reason their Sunday dinner appointments would always get cancelled. My mother always made extra just in case they dropped by, but they started taking advantage of it. After a while they would come over at 5 PM on Sunday and stay until 8 PM or later playing LDS based card games with my family. My dad finally told them that they couldn't come over any more on Sunday because they should be doing missionary work, not playing games.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My whole mission, we never dropped by any member's house without an appointment. I can't think of why - I don't remember instructions not to. It simply didn't occur to us to. Have an appointment, have a purpose, never stay longer than an hour, excepting dinner apointments where you can't always control the time, but try.

I only wish our missionaries would ask for rides/splits more than the night before. I'd love to go, but I am always, always busy when asked at the last second. I need at least 72 hours notice. But they asked once for the next morning and I was busy, and I haven't heard from them again. I love you, Sisters! Call me!*

*72 hours in advance

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though it passed the state senate, it didn't even get voted on in the house.

The blame is on the minority churches in heavy democrat areas mobilizing and inundating thier representatives with complaints about the law.

And they say it bears no resemblance to the civil rights movement in the south....

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.