FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me think of this book!

Author Topic: Help me think of this book!
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
I mostly lurk, but this is bothering me so much, I had to come out of hiding to call upon the collective knowledge of you all.

I read a book a few years ago, and I can't think of the title, or author, or, unfortutately, the ending. This is not uncommon for me, which makes re-reading books nice, because the ending can surprise me again.

What I do remember is that it was set in (I believe) the late 19th century in (I believe) New Orleans. If it's not New Orleans, it is the south. A young man is told by the mysterious older woman in the community that they must sleep together in order to have a child. He refuses, but ends up having a dream that they do indeed sleep together. He then wakes to find that the dream had been reality.

I think there are also people who die from swamp fever. I can mostly recall images, but little to connect them. I'm pretty sure the author was female.

Does this ring any bells for anyone? I've tried search engines, but don't remember enough specifics for that to be effective.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
This vaguely reminds me of "The Folk of the Fringe." Which is by Orson Scott Card, so there is a slightly higher than usual probability that it is him than there would be if this were any other random forum. It's a series of novella-ish things, one of which has a plot similar to what you described. It's set in a post-apocalyptic future with roughly 19th century technology.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

I've read Folk of the Fringe. That wasn't it. Now that you mention it though, I suppose there are some similarities.

No, the book I'm thinking of had a definite seduction scene, in the upper bedroom of an old house.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a long story called "America" in Folk of the Fringe that might be what you are thinking of.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds a little like Anne Rice's Witching Hour series. Only a little, though.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I was also thinking Anne Rice. She sets most of her books in New Orleans, which is a strong point in favor.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

It was Anne Rice! Thank you. It was The Feast of All Saints. I looked it up and although the boy sleeps with the older woman, there is no dream involved, so maybe I interjected my memory of The Folk of the Fringe into that and they kind of melded in my mind.

Ahh. I love it when that niggling feeling goes away.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.