FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Another political sex scandal... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Another political sex scandal...
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug* Since you are determined to feel superior to Republicans, I'm not surprised reasons were found.

This, by the way, is why I'm less bothered by hypocrisy. Everyone does it.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Since you are determined to feel superior to Republicans, I'm not surprised reasons were found.
Have I mentioned party affiliation at all? You'll note that Republicans aren't the only group out there legislating morality that they themselves don't believe.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I think its way too cynical to say every one is a hypocrite. I think most everyone occasionally falls short of your own moral standards, but that isn't necessarily hypocrisy. There is a big difference between sincerely believing you should do things you don't always succeed at doing and publicly condemning a behavior and those who do it, while secretly enjoying the same behavior in private.

The latter is what I would call hypocrisy and what I believe most people are talking about when they condemn hypocrisy.

I do think conservative politicians are more likely to be hypocritical about sexual issues than liberal politicians but I don't think that reflects a general tendency of conservatives, just conservative politicians. Taking a strong stand on sexual morality is something that appeals to conservative voters much more than liberal voters. Conservative politicians therefore more likely to make those kind of stands to win votes, even if when they don't believe what they are saying.

I'm sure there are many hypocrites among liberal politicians as well, they just less likely hypocritical sex.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
quote:
How dare they call me a deviant or pass laws against me when they are screwing rent-boys and keeping mistresses.
That sounds like it is more about your wounded pride than it is about what they actually did.
No it's an abuse of power. A couple of guys could live in complete monogamy for 40 years and some monster of a politician can call them deviants, pass laws forbidding them to marry and even steal the home from one after the other dies. All the while that same politician dares to sleep around with whores, boys or cheat on his wife?! That is far worse than some politician who never went around moralizing getting a blowjob from an intern.
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"This is worse because it affects ME" is not convincing. It would have been marginally more so without the umbrage over the adjective. That also doesn't account for cases where they do deeply disapprove of themselves, which I suspect is the majority.

Nope, direct abuse of position and sexual exploitation is still worse.

It's not just because, "...it affects ME." It also affects other people, and not just 'affects' but 'renders second-class citizens'. But nice way to minimize, katharina.

As for disapproving of themselves, if you can say they should have control of themselves to the extent not to abuse their power over subordinates, surely others can likewise say they should have control over themselves to not abuse their power over their constituents-literally their employers.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.